Sharks

momoftwinteens

Hello, everyone!

DH and I are going to Bermuda for the first time this coming August. We love snorkeling and have done so on previous cruises. My husband, however, is very worried about, I guess, being eaten by sharks when we go to Bermuda. He says that is in the Atlantic and that means the danger is greater. I tried to tell him that the tour groups wouldn't have any business if they put their guests in any danger but he isn't buying it. So, I need to know: has anyone who has snorkled off of Bermuda ever had any run-ins with sharks?

This isn't a joke, either. My hubby is really worried.

The last reported shark attack in Bermuda was in 1939. Mary Lee, a great white, comes to visit from Cape Cod but she stays far away from the shores. Have never seen any sharks while snorkeling and a friend who scuba dives has never seen any either.:)

I'm not trying to make fun of your husband's fear, but--seriously--where have you snorkled before where there wasn't a theoretical danger from sharks? They're very common in the Caribbean, the Bahamas, Florida, California, Hawaii, Australia, etc. My late parents lived in Sarasota for many years, and I saw sharks frequently in the bay and sometimes in the Gulf near the beach (you can tell the difference between sharks and porpoises by the way they cut through the water, btw, which is a really good thing to know if you're swimming in it). I would be encouraged by the fact that the Great White who visits Bermuda is so rare that she has a name.

Edited by Langoustine

• 3 weeks later...

The odds of getting attacked and killed by a shark are 1 in 3,748,067. In a lifetime, you are more likely to die from fireworks (1 in 340,733), lightning (1 in 79,746), drowning (1 in 1,134), a car accident (1 in 84), stroke (1 in 24), or heart disease (1 in 5).

Sharks are seriously misunderstood and are unfortunately given bad raps.

From what I've read, I would be much more concerned about the Portuguese Man-of-War, in the waters off Bermuda. :eek:

Not that we've seen them every time, but we have seen the Man O' Wars in the waters around our ship when we were docked at the Royal Naval Dockyard at King's Wharf. Strangely enough they were all in that one spot by the ship, but there weren't any sighted over at Snorkel Park, which is pretty close to the spot where we were docked. I see now there is a Pirate Ship themed bar moored in that area right by the dock at King's Wharf, and patrons can jump into the water there to swim. I'm wondering if Man O' Wars still drift into that area, doesn't make for comfortable swimming lol

Lorie

• 2 weeks later...

Tell hubby to relax. My family has snorkeled in and around Bermuda several times. Have yet to see a shark.

Most memorable was snorkeling out in the Atlantic over two shipwrecks, the Constellation and another whose name escapes me, in about 40 feet of water. Saw a group of scuba divers below us about half way down and a school of barracuda trolling the wrecks.

Hi, I can totally sympathize with your husband --- I love to snorkel and I don't wish any harm to sharks but I have no desire to see one live and in person either. Last year we rented a boat from Somerset and I asked the local young man working there about sharks and he said with all of the scuba diving and fishing he and his father have done for decades they had never seen a shark. That made me feel better.

In Bermuda I have had the experience of jumping off a boat to snorkel into a school of jellyfish. :( I was something I hope never to happen again. No sharks.

The Florida coast, Volusia county (Daytona, etc ) is where you will find sharks. About 248 attacks in 2014. The water is to cloudy to snorkel but the cloudiness confuses the shark into thinking a moving object, such as someone swimming, is an edible fish. :)

Edited by janetz

Take your husband on a cruise to Belize and do the tour for shark ray alley. After that Bermuda will be a piece of cake!!!! I have snorkeled all over the Caribbean and sharks are very well feed there so it is rare that sharks will even come near you. Barracuda don't attack either. I love watching barracuda. They stay in one spot and all of a sudden they take off at light speed. Don't wear shiny jewelry while snorkeling and don't provoke any fish and you will be fine.