NCAA Playoffs

lhsail

We just booked the Jewel for April 4th and that Saturday and Monday are the NCAA Basketball Playoff games. Last week was our first NCL cruise in like 25 years and their sports offerings as compared to Princess are pretty pathetic, which is kind of a big issue for my husband. Anyone have any experience with being on an NCL ship during the playoffs? Any chance we'll get the games? (And before anyone tells me that if it's a big deal we shouldn't cruise at this time, should do a different cruise...it's not a deal breaker and we are going with friends who have this particular week off work.)

We just booked the Jewel for April 4th and that Saturday and Monday are the NCAA Basketball Playoff games. Last week was our first NCL cruise in like 25 years and their sports offerings as compared to Princess are pretty pathetic, which is kind of a big issue for my husband. Anyone have any experience with being on an NCL ship during the playoffs? Any chance we'll get the games? (And before anyone tells me that if it's a big deal we shouldn't cruise at this time, should do a different cruise...it's not a deal breaker and we are going with friends who have this particular week off work.)

A few years ago I was on the Gem in March and some of the games were on. Not sure if they still do that though.

I'm not sure I understand the "pathetic" comment? What did Princess show for sports last week compared to NCL? On all of our cruises with NCL if there was a major American sports event, it was broadcast. If the NCAA tournament is available on one of the major sports networks, ESPN for example, it will be broadcast. Clarification would help though. I'm not sure what Princess offers that is superior.

Princess doesn't just show the major events like the Super Bowl. They will show any NFL games, often will have college basketball games, etc. We've been on Princess frequently during spring break, which is also NCAA tournament time and they've always had most of the games on, not just the championship. The only thing on NCL last week was European soccer. There was also a specific statement in the dailies about licensing issues and that's why they don't offer a variety of sports programming, or something to that effect.

What ship were you on last week? There is almost always a legal disclaimer on the dailies because folks want everything. Europeans want their sports, i.e. soccer, Canadians want the curling matches etc. They are limited in what is available. Every cruise I've been on has at least two versions of ESPN. Whatever is happening that week, i.e. college basketball, NFL games, NBA etc. I'm not sure what was available last week, nor do I know what Princess had available on board last week.

We were on the Jewel and there was only one version of ESPN available. If you've had better luck than that, good for you. This was not intended to get into a debate of one cruise line over another, I was just seeking information specifically regarding the NCAA playoffs.

They will likely be shown in one of the bars, but you may have to search for them.

Since the game is on CBS you may be able to get it in the cabin.

Edited by zqvol

I agree with your "pathetic" comment. What, when, and where they show sporting events varies widely. I wouldn't count on anything. Adding to the inconsistency is that staff often doesn't have the answers regarding telecasts. Good Luck!

Biggest issue I foresee is that the tournament games are usually shown on CBS, TNT, TBS, and TruTV. Of these, I think the only possibility is CBS on Norwegian ships. I don't remember seeing any of those other channels when flipping through (not that I was looking for them specifically though). According to Wikipedia, Turner/CBS still has the US rights. The bigger question is whether ESPN has any rights outside of the US. If they do, and the ship picks up an international feed, we may be in business.......if not, then I am thinking no games (or only 1 at a time if CBS comes through).......just my take.....

I generally cruise during this period and the NCAA tourney has been carried on one of the ESPN brands and I'm certain that at least the final will be broadcast on the ship, and it will likely be in a decent size venue with a large screen TV and substantial seating as this is a much touted/requested event.