Ship time, Cozumel time?? HELP!!

Jaxgal

:confused: My Husband and I are a bit confused as it will be our first cruise. Our ship time for being in Cozumel on Nov 29th is stated as 9:30 AM. If we want to do an excursion in Cozumel at 10:30 AM would we have time to get there? We do not understand how to figure out the difference between ship time and island time. Any help on this would be great!!

I am going to try to help, but let me put a warning first :) I'm a first time cruiser as well, but this is what I had been told... Your ship will not change time zones as it sails...so for instance I'm leaving out of Tampa, which will be eastern daylight savings time...that means we will be 2 hours ahead of Cozumel when we get there ( only one hour after daylight savings is over) If we are due to arrive in Cozumel at 8 am ship time, we will be there 6am Cozumel time. Once I found that out I realized it will make a big difference on how early we start things. Now we booked one excursion not thru the ship and when I talked to them about it, they put the times of their tours by what ship times are. That didn't make a whole lotta sense to me since I don't know how they can possibly keep track of all the ships and what time zone they're coming from, but I guess if it's your livelyhood you would be a little more apt to. It does make a BIG difference if you're trying to make sure you get back to the ship in time. If we're leaving Mexico at 4pm, and I think one of our stops is, that's 2pm ship time...so you have to becareful. I imagine I'll be a bit confused think I have till 4pm their time.

If I am wrong someone PLEASE tell me before I get there and miss the boat! Thanks, I hope that helps a little.

Thanks it did help a lot! We are leaving from Tampa also, so now I understand. I will need to check with our excursion company about the time thing since we are planning on booking outside of the ship also. Thanks again!! :D

On our last cruise, (Splendour of the Seas) our ship changed to Cozumel time. Our friends were on a Carnival ship and they were on a different time than us. I guess it depends on the captains as to what they wish to do.

I have found that the excursion people know the schedule of the ships very well. I would contact them and see what they say. I would believe that they wouldn't want to miss the opportunity for a group of people from a ship.

Cozumel is a great place to visit. Have fun!

Call your cruise line to see if they change the time on the ship to match local time.

Some ships and cruise lines change times so that ship time and local time are always the same. Some ships always stay on Eastern time.

Example: This August we were on the Caribbean Princess and it changed times so ship time and local time were always the same. The Voyager of the Seas did not change time, so in Grand Cayman and Cozumel, the ship time was always 1 hour ahead of island time.

If you sort by continent or country, you'll find more places and then you can go to the personal world clock from there.

Kewl-- thanks so much. I saved it now for when I go to places I dont know. thanks again.

Call your cruise line to see if they change the time on the ship to match local time.

Some ships and cruise lines change times so that ship time and local time are always the same. Some ships always stay on Eastern time.

Example: This August we were on the Caribbean Princess and it changed times so ship time and local time were always the same. The Voyager of the Seas did not change time, so in Grand Cayman and Cozumel, the ship time was always 1 hour ahead of island time.

OK, now I'm confused. Everyone has been advising me that the Caribbean Princess will stay on Fort Lauderdale time throughout the cruise?!?!?!?

I've booked my excursion and they said no matter what I find out the day of arrival, they will have me back whatever time I need to be but I would still like to know.

Rachel: What would you like to know???? :confused:

THe private vendors will know if the ship changes times or not. But the above is the first time I read that the Caribbean princess changed times.

Both Grand CAyman and cozumel are one hour behind Florida time. But if the captain changes the clocks youw ill be on the same time as island time.

I had thought ship time would stay the same. When I booked my excursion, they didn't really say one way or the other. Just that they would get me back whatever time I needed to be back. We are in port from 8AM-6PM. Tour time is 10:30-4:30. This was also the first I had heard the Caribbean Princess changed time. I was concerned b/c this was said from a person who just returned.

I would ask on the Princess board. I have spent a great deal of time reading theprincess pages to learn about cruising their ships coz I wanted to book one. That would get me kinda antsy also.

But if your tour is for 10:30- you got plenty of time. that will be 11:30 ship time But if you booked through a private vendor--more then likely that 10:30 is island time. and the 4:30 is island time== which will be 5:30 ship time.

Now is the time to check and see if your ship changes time.. but be aware that it can change at any time.

Or you can do what I do. Before getting off the ship at any port I ask (just to confirm, I already know the answer) cruise staff "how many hours before the ship leaves?" Then I set my clock to hit noon in that many hours.

For example, if thy say we will be in port for 6 hours, I set my watch for 6am.

That way no mater where I am I know that I absolutely have to be back at the ship at noon (by my watch) and I always know how much more time I have.

My philosophy is that it is more important to know how much time I can spend ashore rather than know the local time. Just make sure that others in your group are doing the same thing and you can arrange meeting times by (watch time). Has woked great for me.:cool:

Please don't call to find out if a ship changes time. The people answering the phones really don't have a clue when it comes to things like that. The answer most likely to be correct will come from past passengers on the same ship and same itinerary, preferably ones who have done it just a few weeks before you.

On the Princess boards, a lot of folks believe that Princess ships always change their clocks to match local time zones. The Grand Princess to the western Caribbean in December 2003 did not. It stayed on Eastern Standard Time even though a couple of the ports were on Central Standard Time.

Let's see if I can explain this.

I booked an excursion independantly. The times are 10:30AM until approx. 4:30PM. From everything I'm understanding, our ship time should be one hour ahead of Coz time. This means ship time will be 5:30PM when our excursion finishes. Our ship sails at 6PM. If I'm understanding correctly,these times are waaay too close. The representative for the company (based in the United States) said this is not a problem, they will bring us back whenever we want and if we are really concerned, they will bring us directly to the pier. Am I crazy to try to do this excursion???????

Rachel: I see you left by now and hope you are having a great time.

Cozumel is 1 hour behind Florida timethis week. Your excursion gets over by4:30 which is 5:30 ships time. THis is when you mus be on the ship.

For me - thats way too close. If something went wrong- traffic- flat tire, etc you could miss the ship.

On the other hand these independant tour vendors rely heavily on cruisers for business. If the cruiser misses the ship- there goes future business. Hope its a realible compnay.

I hope ya come back and let us know how you made out.

• 2 weeks later...

Archived