Transportation Seattle - Vancouver

Sundagger

In order to save a fair amount of money, I'm going to fly to Seattle on a Friday morning in May and travel to Vancouver either that day or Saturday to catch a cruise out of Vancouver on Saturday. HAL said that there isn't a transfer bus of theirs on that Friday. So I can either use another mode of transportation on Friday or their shuttle on Saturday. I'll probably take the HAL transfer back from Vancouver to SEA the next Saturday.

Taking the train doesn't fit well into our schedule and I hesitate to rent a car due to border delays and the cost of a rental drop-off in CA. I've looked at Quick Coach shuttle, which seems like a reasonable alternative. Does anyone have experience with Quick Shuttle? Any other recommendations?

I took the HAL shuttle last August to get from Seattle to my cruise out of Vancouver.

I flew into Seattle the day before the cruise, arriving late afternoon, and stayed at an airport hotel. The next morning I made my way back to the airport, and to the HAL gathering area in time to be on the first bus up. It all ran very smoothly.

I understand the second bus had some delay, and they arrived at the pier just before sailing.

We had a reasonably short break on the way up, and the crossing at the border. We had to get off the bus, walk into and through a building, and then got back on the bus. We did not have to drag our luggage going into Canada.

We arrived at the pier around 2:00 PM, and our luggage was taken care of directly from the bus.

The only thing I didn't like about this process was getting on the ship at what was late for me. It made the time to unpack, and tidy up details, all prior to muster very busy.

But that is a fairly minor inconvenience.

I know this isn't exactly what you were asking, but since it is under consideration, I thought you might like to know about a real experience doing it.

I took the HAL shuttle last August to get from Seattle to my cruise out of Vancouver.

I flew into Seattle the day before the cruise, arriving late afternoon, and stayed at an airport hotel. The next morning I made my way back to the airport, and to the HAL gathering area in time to be on the first bus up. It all ran very smoothly.

I understand the second bus had some delay, and they arrived at the pier just before sailing.

We had a reasonably short break on the way up, and the crossing at the border. We had to get off the bus, walk into and through a building, and then got back on the bus. We did not have to drag our luggage going into Canada.

We arrived at the pier around 2:00 PM, and our luggage was taken care of directly from the bus.

The only thing I didn't like about this process was getting on the ship at what was late for me. It made the time to unpack, and tidy up details, all prior to muster very busy.

But that is a fairly minor inconvenience.

I know this isn't exactly what you were asking, but since it is under consideration, I thought you might like to know about a real experience doing it.

Thanks for the information. That is one possibility we had considered. I think I'd prefer to get to Vancouver on Friday - it would only be my 2nd time there and the first for my companion. We've been to Seattle a few times. I like both cities, so I'm still open to ideas.

Did you take the HAL shuttle back to SEA? We'd probably do that.

Did you take the HAL shuttle back to SEA? We'd probably do that.

I was with friends on that cruise, and we were all heading to Seattle for a few days to board another cruise. So, we rented a van and drove.

When the second cruise was over I took a taxi to SeaTac.

You need to consider what time you're getting to Seattle, and how tired you will be from your flight. Since I was coming from the east coast, it was already a full day. And with the time zone differences, and lack of real meals on flights, I know I wouldn't have been able to make the 4-hour trek to Vancouver that day. I had explored the possibility, and decided against it.

our family and friends use Quick Shuttle and they are reliable and great.. even have wifi on board.. gets you through the border in an organized way .. but plan for Friday border and highway traffic.. Kate ;)

Another vote for Quick Coach...

• $50 http://www.quickcoach.com/schedule.htm
  • train has two trips a day... Quick Coach has 5 or 6 shuttles to suit your schedule.
  • bus is faster than the train that meanders once it cross the Canadian border
  • train forces to you look & pay for transportation from Seatac to train station. Then from train station to cruise terminal.
  • you need to wait for the train... that adds to additional time after transportation to train station.

Just remember to pre-book your bus ride.

Quick coach has always worked for us, as we travel fairly often between Seattle and Vancouver. However, a cheaper option is Bolt Bus. They have less scheduled trips but also less stops and much cheaper. Both are goos options!

I have used Quick Shuttle from Vancouver both to and from Bellingham Airport and to and from Sea-Tac. I haven't had any problems with them. There are a few departures to Vancouver in the afternoon from Sea-Tac. You do have to take all of your luggage and belongings with you off of the bus when you get to customs at the border in Blaine, WA. If you have any fruit with you, finish it before you go through customs.

I've used Quick Shuttle 3-4 times and found them to be very reliable and reasonably priced. If HAL doesn't offer a transfer from Canada Place to Seatac for my upcoming coastal cruise, I'll use them again.

Roz

I'd like to thank everyone for the advice. I think Quick Shuttle will be the best for us based on the schedules. I need to fly in to SEA on Delta non-stop, so that limits my choices a bit. Quick Shuttle should do just fine for us.

I'd like to thank everyone for the advice. I think Quick Shuttle will be the best for us based on the schedules. I need to fly in to SEA on Delta non-stop, so that limits my choices a bit. Quick Shuttle should do just fine for us.
I think you'll be happy with Quick Shuttle, and then you'll get to see Vancouver, which is absolutely gorgeous. Enjoy your time there.

My advice would be to take the HAL shuttle. We have used both Quick Shuttle and the HAL Shuttle. The ship will hold for the HAL shuttle but not for the Quick Shuttle. We have been on the HAL shuttle and due to traffic and lines at the boarder we were late getting to the ship, but they held it for our bus. The time for the trip up can have a lot of variables and you don't want to be standing on the dock watching the ship sail away. Have a great cruise.

My advice would be to take the HAL shuttle. We have used both Quick Shuttle and the HAL Shuttle. The ship will hold for the HAL shuttle but not for the Quick Shuttle. We have been on the HAL shuttle and due to traffic and lines at the boarder we were late getting to the ship, but they held it for our bus. The time for the trip up can have a lot of variables and you don't want to be standing on the dock watching the ship sail away. Have a great cruise.

Good advice. While I like Quick Shuttle (and the free wi-fi), on our last trip we had to stop to pick up the passengers from the Shuttle before ours that broke down on the way. I think those passengers made their ship (ours was the next day), but it had to be VERY close.

DaveOKC

Good advice. While I like Quick Shuttle (and the free wi-fi), on our last trip we had to stop to pick up the passengers from the Shuttle before ours that broke down on the way. I think those passengers made their ship (ours was the next day), but it had to be VERY close.

DaveOKC

Odd you mentioned that. Once on the Quick Shuttle our bus broke down at the boarder, and they had to bring in a replacement bus. Luckly we were going up the day before our cruise so we didn't miss the ship. Going up the day before lets you enjoy Vancouver, which is a great city to explore.

Redmond Cruiser,

HAL doesn't always offer a shuttle. So far they're not offering one for my upcoming April coastal cruise.

Roz

Yes, HAL isn't running a shuttle on the day we arrive in Seattle - ours may be the first cruise of the season?