Passports when getting off the boat

I have seen different opinions on this subject so I am just wondering what is the official policy on getting off the boat in Mexico and then what is the recommended procedure from some more experienced cruisers?

We have taken two cruises but one was to Alaska and the other Canada pre passport needed to get there.

Thanks in advance

Not required.

But, we always carry ours with us. You are in a foreign country, and should anything go wrong and you miss the ship, you will need a passport to book a flight. Sure, if you don't have a passport with you, you will likely get on a plane after several hours of frustrating phone calls pleading for assistance.

Odds are overwhelming in your favour of nothing bad happening, but we look at it like insurance - have it, hope you don't need it, but love it when you need it.

But, we carry other valuables with us, and our passports are just another one we keep close at all times. It weighs nothing, and is not bulky.

Not required.

But, we always carry ours with us. You are in a foreign country, and should anything go wrong and you miss the ship, you will need a passport to book a flight. Sure, if you don't have a passport with you, you will likely get on a plane after several hours of frustrating phone calls pleading for assistance.

Odds are overwhelming in your favour of nothing bad happening, but we look at it like insurance - have it, hope you don't need it, but love it when you need it.

But, we carry other valuables with us, and our passports are just another one we keep close at all times. It weighs nothing, and is not bulky.

Well put Todd and I fully agree. :)

Most of the question was answered, but just so you know they will tell you if passports are ever required to get back on the ship. In my own experience, I think that only ever happened once and I can't remember where.

In most cases, the ship is "pre-cleared" so you don't need to show your passport.

Not required.

No one can argue with this logic. That said, we usually leave ours in the safe on the ship.....:D

We usually leave our passports in the safe and walk with a photo copy of the important pages. We do it this way because you can never know if you accidentally leave it somewhere (alcohol related:() or be the unfortunate target of a snatch and grab robbery.

My family and I leave our passports on the ship. My husband and I just take our driver's license as our photo ID (kids don't need ID's). We might have taken a copy of our passports with us, but I know we didn't take the original off of the ship.

I think it's personal preference. You would never get truly "stuck" without a way home, but then being stuck somewhere with a beautiful beach and lots of sunshine might not be so bad!! ;)

Edited by micheecruise

My wife and I Photocopied our passport and use that,afterall it has your photo and if you need it as a passport you can show that.Also on the back of the photocopy we put a list of the meds that we take just in case something happens.

We both have tiny laminated photocopies of our passports. I worked at the Passport Agency and people steal them from tourists and sell them for thousands of dollars. The photocopy will make it easier to go to the Consulates office and get yourself on your way or get you help if there is any trouble. The can look up you ID and give you the protection you made need with a photocopy. If the passport is stolen on shore you have no proof of US citizenship.

Lots of opinions, and certainly no one opinion is "right". Everyone will weigh their own risks, and decide for themselves.

But, for those who take photocopies of their passports with them- all that does (as I understand it) is help you get an emergency replacement at some consulate somewhere in some city. I understand a photocopy of your passport is not accepted at airports - so you really are not much further ahead with just a photocopy.

But, I also understand the risk of bringing your passport on shore - risk of getting stolen. But, I guard my passport like I guard my credit cards - in equally safe places.

Again, personal choice, and since it's absolutely zero inconvenience for us, we take them.

Unless the ship tells you to take your Passport Book with you for a port stop, leave it in your safe on the ship.

Your cruise card and a government issued photo ID are all you need.

Be sure to also take the contact information for the ship's port agent. ;)

LuLu

I protect my passport like it is gold. My passport goes with me when I leave the ship. If there is any reason whatsoever that I don't make it back on the ship I want to be able to prove I am an American citizen with no questions asked. I want to be able to fly home with no hassle.

Edited by Emilycat

I have heard too many stories of sudden illness or injury either in port or on board ship. You could be taken off for medical care. Then you are stuck in a foreign country & will need to fly home at a later date after discharge from medical care. If that remote possibility happens you need your passport to fly home. I think I might have to keep mine with me for peace of mind.

We leave ours in the safe and take copies on shore. Prior to the cruise, I email copies of our passports to ourselves. That way you have a color copy available anywhere, anytime. After the cruise, the email can be deleted.