Question for Brits using a USA based TA

sandancer

Sandancer,

We usually just print them from the cruise document booklet ourselves and then put them on just before we leave for the port. Most hotels will lend you their staple gun to use - not a problem. You can also buy the plastic holders online from Amazon (other retailers are available :D) for reuse.

Karen,

the next time you book on board, tell the future cruise agent not to credit the new booking to your agent. They will start by saying they must. Tell them you are dissatisfied with the agent and refuse to do further business with them and you want the cruise line to hold your reservation. You'll probably need to sign something, but they are supposed to do what you want in this instance.

100% correct. Take them to the dock. I carry a black pen and write the information on the tags the porters have. Done.

.... I've complained to Celebrity before about their lack of service (I've had to use them for several cruises because when I make a reservation onboard for a future cruise, they automatically transfer the booking to them much to my chagrin) - but you know how that goes.

They will automatically assign the new booking to the same TA who booked the current cruise unless you specify otherwise, but you only need to state up front that you want to keep the booking in your own name and do not want it assigned to any travel agent. No need for any chagrin at all.

Karen, the next time you book on board, tell the future cruise agent not to credit the new booking to your agent. They will start by saying they must. Tell them you are dissatisfied with the agent and refuse to do further business with them and you want the cruise line to hold your reservation.
No explanation is necessary.

It would be wrong to malign the last TA, claiming that you are dissatisfied if that is not true. Even if you were very happy with the last TA, you may wish to use a different one the next time, or none at all, which is certainly your right.

We have booked onboard numerous times and have never had any agent try to pull that on us. Even if we should eventually decide to use the same TA again, we like to leave our options open at the time of booking. There is no good reason why we should be forced to make that decision in advance when the cruise line gives us another 60 days to decide.

Saying "they must" is an inexcusable reply on the part of a lazy agent. That person was probably hoping you wouldn't know any better to save him/herself a little bit of additional effort.

Or else it may simply have been ignorance on the part of an employee who was not familiar with the cruise line's policies.

As soon as you receive your invoice for booking onboard, it is a good idea to look it over carefully to make sure they did not put the name of your last TA on it and that all the info is correct. Whatever perks they are giving you should be listed right there on the invoice.

If there is an error, it is easiest to get it corrected and have them re-issue you a new invoice while you are still right there on the ship.

Just want to add that I am not a Brit so I cannot state with certainty that they do not do it differently for Brits, but it seems only reasonable that at least this part of the procedure should be the same for all passengers, regardless of nationality.

Edited by fleckle

For the first time we have booked a cruise not using a UK travel agent. It is now 49 days out and I want to order bag tags (luggage labels as we would call them) and I'm not sure if X would send them from the US to a UK home address. Has anyone done this? I know many people use a US TA so I'm hoping someone might know the answer. For sure Celebrity UK won't tell me. I got very short shrift from them when I called on another subject. Once I mentioned the US booking the door slammed right in my face. You would never believe they were all part of the same corporation.

Sent from my iPad using Forums mobile app

As promised Sparkle I have come back with an update.

I now know the answer to my question. I can access e-docs now and order bag tags.. It states very clearly that bag tags can only be mailed in the US and Canada. Thanks to everyone for the great advice.

Sent from my iPad using Forums mobile app

What are the advantages when you book through a US TA?
f

Significantly lower rates, significantly more OBC or other competitive perks, ability to change or cancel without losing deposit, ability to take advantage of changes in rates either by category upgrade or decreased amount owing. Other than that... not much:)

What are the advantages when you book through a US TA?

Wendy said it all, don't continue being ripped off by the UK travel agent seek out a good US agent and you will not regret I can assure you.

Edited by mickey89

f

Significantly lower rates, significantly more OBC or other competitive perks, ability to change or cancel without losing deposit, ability to take advantage of changes in rates either by category upgrade or decreased amount owing. Other than that... not much:)

You do have to be careful on the rates - sometimes it can be cheaper to book in the UK in £ and not use a US based agency. Although if you book in the UK and need to cancel, you will lose your deposit - something that doesn't happen with a US agent. The trick is to make sure that you get the best deal for you so cost things out carefully and fully weigh up the pros and cons of each.

Wendy said it all, don't continue being ripped off by the UK travel agent seek out a good US agent and you will not regret I can assure you.

The trick is to find a good agent and Cruise Critic makes it harder as you can't name specific agents. Life would be so much easier if we could just name an agent! LOL

Edited by drey_p

I know you can't name an agent but are you allowed to mention a city to,check out?

I know you can't name an agent but are you allowed to mention a city to,check out?

Why not simply 'Google' - us cruise travel agent.

A discount cruise agency will appear that is a very good starting point..........................!

The trick is to find a good agent and Cruise Critic makes it harder as you can't name specific agents. Life would be so much easier if we could just name an agent! LOL
So true, but I don't think there is any Cruise Critic prohibition against suggesting that they look right here on Cruise Critic.

If you go up to the top of the page under "Deals" and click on "All Cruise Deals"

Then scroll down the page

to "More Deals From Our Newsletter",

over on the right side under "Provider" several travel agencies are listed.

Even though we are not allowed to recommend any specific one here, a reader can contact the companies listed there to find out their terms and see what they will offer you for a cruise you want. Then compare the replies you receive.

You can also sign up for the Cruise Critic mailing list from the link that says

f

+1

We are Aussies and booked four cruised now with our US TA for all the reasons stated above. Even with the dip in our dollar they still reflect better pricing that could be obtained locally.

Disadvantages? Having to print out ones own luggage tags vs Celebrity sending you prettier ones [emoji12]

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

+1

We are Aussies and booked four cruised now with our US TA for all the reasons stated above. Even with the dip in our dollar they still reflect better pricing that could be obtained locally.

Disadvantages? Having to print out ones own luggage tags vs Celebrity sending you prettier ones [emoji12]

Ahh, not so...in your eDocs, page ~14, is a copy of your luggage tags. You can make prettier ones by colour printing copies of the number you need, laminate them, then use a zip tie to attach them to your luggage. An alternative to laminating is to use tape or put them into luggage tag holders readily available from Amazon or the cruise critic shop. I have never had "my" luggage tags come off unlike the ones that are mailed.

My DH bought me a reasonably priced laminator for the sole purpose of laminating cruise luggage tags!

You do have to be careful on the rates - sometimes it can be cheaper to book in the UK in £ and not use a US based agency. Although if you book in the UK and need to cancel, you will lose your deposit - something that doesn't happen with a US agent. The trick is to make sure that you get the best deal for you so cost things out carefully and fully weigh up the pros and cons of each.

You do have to check both sides of the pond, and remember to include any deals and promos into the equation. Sometimes the UK pricing can be slightly cheaper, however, we rarely obtain the same OBC offerings from our UK TA like we do from the US.

Additionally, if you're looking to book guarantee cabins, whatever you are allocated has to be accepted if it's a UK booking. No so for a US reservation, you are permitted to change to another available cabin in the same category ;).

We've never had an issue with the luggage labels: print them from your cruise docs and use the hotel's stapler on the morning of your cruise to attach. Once folded, they're pretty robust (although others may disagree :p). You can always obtain some from the porters at the pier anyway.

We used a U.S. TA 18 months ago and got a great deal price wise and perks but lo and behold when we got onboard no OBC was on our account or speciality dining offer, we tried contacting the agent numerous times by email and phone (Celebrity tried from GuestvRelations) but they never replied to us and never received the perks. Very annoying, more so because they would not respond to us. Won't put me off using another US agent but will take any offers with a pinch of salt and as long as price is good and the booking shows up on Celebrity I'll take it. Normally if it sounds too good to be true, it is!!!

Ahh, not so...in your eDocs, page ~14, is a copy of your luggage tags. You can make prettier ones by colour printing copies of the number you need, laminate them, then use a zip tie to attach them to your luggage. An alternative to laminating is to use tape or put them into luggage tag holders readily available from Amazon or the cruise critic shop. I have never had "my" luggage tags come off unlike the ones that are mailed.

My DH bought me a reasonably priced laminator for the sole purpose of laminating cruise luggage tags!

Ha ha! Yes that would 'pretty them up' quite well.

We have bough thr laminates sleeves from Amazon. A small investment that we reuse on each cruise. Saves mucking around doing arts and crafts folding and stapling the homemade paper tags [emoji57][emoji12]

6c34c055aebcad20873998b258e0e76a.jpg

Only if your really want to print out your own "prettier" ones and you enjoy doing that.

If you are satisfied with the plain vanilla but very functional luggage tags provided at the port, as we are, there is never any need to bother printing one's own luggage tags or buying anything additional for them.

Granted the pretty homemade tags are more attractive, but I doubt if there are many who really spend much time looking at them. :)

We only see our luggage tags briefly when we write our stateroom number on them and attach them at the port, but often a porter starts to tag the bags at the port before I can even find my pen.

Then we see the luggage tags again briefly later that day when we remove them and toss them into the trash.

Only if your really want to print out your own "prettier" ones and you enjoy doing that.

Per my winking smiley - I really came up with the disadvantage of 'non pretty 'luggage tags as an attempt of humour in that I could find nothing more to list as such - I was not serious lol!

Yes totally agree the tags serve their purpose for a very brief period so nothing to sweat about.:D

We are all just having a bit of fun. OF COURSE the luggage tags are just a bit of paper that are useful for about five minutes then tossed. We all know that. But for me, they represent a break that is soon to come! Now this next BREAK is taking our two wonderfully crazy mothers, one who tries to kill at least one or two people on her scooter (she tries to use the "break peddle" to stop like in a car ...there isn't one as the breaking is electronic). But I am trying to take her mind off her unbelievably painful arthritis for even a short time.

Soooo....it's for these reasons and others that I make a bit of ridiculous fuss over a few bits of crappy paper on which there is a cabin number!

We used a U.S. TA 18 months ago and got a great deal price wise and perks but lo and behold when we got onboard no OBC was on our account or speciality dining offer, we tried contacting the agent numerous times by email and phone (Celebrity tried from GuestvRelations) but they never replied to us and never received the perks. Very annoying, more so because they would not respond to us. Won't put me off using another US agent but will take any offers with a pinch of salt and as long as price is good and the booking shows up on Celebrity I'll take it. Normally if it sounds too good to be true, it is!!!

Sorry to hear you didn't receive what was stated on your contract with the TA. Was the US TA recommended by a fellow traveller, or just a random choice from a search engine for cruise deals? If the latter, then perhaps obtaining some positive recommendations from other US pax at your next Connections Party may be the way to go?

Our US TA, as well as offering substantial amounts of OBC, has surprised us with speciality dinners etc. in the past. If the service was not there, then as you intend to do, we would take our business elsewhere ;).

We are all just having a bit of fun. OF COURSE the luggage tags are just a bit of paper that are useful for about five minutes then tossed. We all know that. But for me, they represent a break that is soon to come! Now this next BREAK is taking our two wonderfully crazy mothers, one who tries to kill at least one or two people on her scooter (she tries to use the "break peddle" to stop like in a car ...there isn't one as the breaking is electronic). But I am trying to take her mind off her unbelievably painful arthritis for even a short time.

Soooo....it's for these reasons and others that I make a bit of ridiculous fuss over a few bits of crappy paper on which there is a cabin number!

Can't wait to meet those 2 crazy Mums Wendy. Sounds like they will liven up our TA no end. Cheers, Elaine

On the subject of OBC, we recently discovered that the TA we are using shows an amount of OBC on his invoice. We mistakenly thought he was giving us this in addition to the cruise line OBC. Not so. This figures includes the cruise line OBC. However, we still got s great deal and some OBC so no complaints. The only other negative is that using a USA TA you don't get price drops after final payment whereas here in the UK you do. One of our cruises last year we went from 1a to Aqua and got money back as well. So, as it has been said, you need to weigh up the benefits.

The only other negative is that using a USA TA you don't get price drops after final payment whereas here in the UK you do. One of our cruises last year we went from 1a to Aqua and got money back as well. So, as it has been said, you need to weigh up the benefits.

When I booked our Eclipse cruise in Sept '12 for March '13, there were no 2A cabins available, so I booked 2B. At final payment, there were some 2A showing, so I phoned Celebrity, as I had booked direct. At first the agent said,' those are for new bookings only.' I then explained that none were available when we booked, so she said,' I can do better than that and gave us a 1A + a cabin refund of £490 ( not p.p)

I'm not sure whether I would have got this if I had booked through a TA.:)