dolphins in the wild?

Tortoiselvr

does anyone know of any tours/excursions where we could see dolphins in their natural habitat? My sister, who has some special needs, is travelling with me and this would be a huge deal for her, but I don't want a canned-type activity. Any thoughts? (also going to Cozumel and Montego Bay if someone thinks it maybe be better to look there)

Thanks!

Where are you sailing from? You're best bet to see them swimming in their own habitat is the day you sail out. We've seen dolphins in all FLL, MIA, Galveston, Port Canaveral, but I have not ever in all of my 18+ Caribbean cruises seen them around any of the island. They are there, but I haven't seen them. Sailing out on the first day, we almost always see them!!

I have seen them on a barefoot sail down near Venezuela, but that doesn't really help I'm sure. Maybe someone else can help, but be sure to watch when you sail out on day one!!

Go to Va. Beach, Va....they swim up and down the beach daily. If you take a small sailboat out, they'll swim along side...fascinating! No need to "pay" for a tour...simply go someplace where they congregate!

Go to Va. Beach, Va....they swim up and down the beach daily. If you take a small sailboat out, they'll swim along side...fascinating! No need to "pay" for a tour...simply go someplace where they congregate!

Same along the coast of South Carolina. :)

For the Caribbean Dolphins are often seen in Dominica. Never have seen any in the Cayman Islands.

LuLu

Edited by OCruisers

I was swimming (quite a ways out) at a beach in St. Croix recently and 3 dolphins swam up next to us. That was exciting!

I've seen dolphins all over the gulf cost and Caribbean. It just depends if you are in the right place at the right time.

Cape Canaveral area

dolphins (and manatee) are silly common around here

sitting on a cruise ship b4 you depart it is COMMON to see dolphin, manatee and turtles in the basin. Dolphin on the ship departing? They routinely ride the bow and wake waves

and there are daily dolphin tours in the RIVER aka the Indian River lagoon. When I take the kids on the tube behind the boat ... dolphins jump up to play. Did you see the national news story about pulling 19 manatee out of a local storm drain? These guys are COMMON around our back yard docks . . . come close to being a nuisance