Black and White night

newbieafloat

This one is confusing me!

Is this just yet another black tie night for us fellers, but the ladies have to adopt a B&W theme to match? I have read on line elsewhere that the ladies are NOT bound to adopt a B&W colour scheme.

Is the level of formality different for the men? Higher/lower?

Neck tie instead of bow tie?

Is the jacket still mandatory?

Should I serve them right for being vague by going dressed as a nun? :D:D

This one is confusing me!

Is this just yet another black tie night for us fellers, but the ladies have to adopt a B&W theme to match? I have read on line elsewhere that the ladies are NOT bound to adopt a B&W colour scheme.

Is the level of formality different for the men? Higher/lower?

Neck tie instead of bow tie?

Is the jacket still mandatory?

Should I serve them right for being vague by going dressed as a nun? :D:D

You could go as nun as long as you wear a jacket. :)

Its a Black & White Formal Night. ie no coloured bow ties etc. The Ldies normally wear a black & white outfit.

You could go as nun as long as you wear a jacket. :)

Its a Black & White Formal Night. ie no coloured bow ties etc. The Ldies normally wear a black & white outfit.

So from a bloke's perspective, it's identical to the other three black tie nights?

I'll scratch "steam my wimple" from the to-do list, but am still a little confused why it's not just listed as a fourth black tie night. Seems such a small difference to warrant deeming it a different night. Maybe I'm just not attuned to the ways of the cruise ship.

So from a bloke's perspective, it's identical to the other three black tie nights?

I'll scratch "steam my wimple" from the to-do list, but am still a little confused why it's not just listed as a fourth black tie night. Seems such a small difference to warrant deeming it a different night. Maybe I'm just not attuned to the ways of the cruise ship.

Its the difference between a Black Tie Night and a Formal Night. It is a small difference but as I say a gentleman can wear different coloured Bow ties and cummberbunds on the other 3 nights and Ladies can wear any other colours of outfits.

Its the difference between a Black Tie Night and a Formal Night. It is a small difference but as I say a gentleman can wear different coloured Bow ties and cummberbunds on the other 3 nights and Ladies can wear any other colours of outfits.

Sorry dgs1956, but now I'm more confused. You're saying that a black tie doesn't need to be worn on the three "black tie" nights ...? That's surprised me

Sorry dgs1956, but now I'm more confused. You're saying that a black tie doesn't need to be worn on the three "black tie" nights ...? That's surprised me

That's correct. They call them Formal Nights rather than black tie nights.

I take different coloured Bow Ties and Cummberbunds. eg A spotty purple one and a tartan one. On the Black & White Night I have worn a black & white stiped one.

That's correct. They call them Formal Nights rather than black tie nights.

I take different coloured Bow Ties and Cummberbunds. eg A spotty purple one and a tartan one. On the Black & White Night I have worn a black & white stiped one.

Oh! That's the first I've heard about that. The CP, information pack, and P&O site all specify "black tie". Certainly on my upcoming cruise on Ventura anyway. Might I respectfully ask if you have been alone in adding colour, or if it's common practice?

Thank you for being so patient with me by the way - I'll get there eventually :D

Edited by newbieafloat

Oh! That's the first I've heard about that. The CP, information pack, and P&O site all specify "black tie". Certainly on my upcoming cruise on Ventura anyway. Might I respectfully ask if you have been alone in adding colour, or if it's common practice?

No not alone, I do not think I have a Black Tie. All sorts of colours. But my background is in Round Table. No boring black ties.

For Black and white night I have one with piano keys on it.

Thank you for being so patient with me by the way - I'll get there eventually :D

NO problem at all.

Many Gents wear different colours although some may frown upon it. Some gents even wear the Kilt.

Hi, I have both a black and white jacket for the formal nights and have a red,white and black bow and mix and match these but on black and white night I will stick to black jacket,white shirt and black tie but I still have options with the white jacket if I want to. For a man he could make every formal night a black and white night as I suppose some men will wear the same suit for each night

Thank you gentlemen.

So on the three "non-monochrome" nights, I could for example opt for a wine red waistcoat instead of the black cummerbund for a touch of colour, and revert back to the black cummerbund when the colour isn't appropriate, yes?

I'll likely be sticking with the black self tie BTW

As my husband will be taking his kilt outfit that is what he will be wearing on the B and W night. No room for a dinner suit as well in the luggage. He will be wearing a black bow tie though!

As my husband will be taking his kilt outfit that is what he will be wearing on the B and W night. No room for a dinner suit as well in the luggage. He will be wearing a black bow tie though!

Ideally he should be a MacFarlane or Erskine and be from the Argyll and Sutherland Highlanders, and wearing his old army sporran.

Lol John

Ok, so it's sounding like it's a lot more relaxed than I expected - although that does make sense if they're allowing dark suits and neck ties (which I had envisioned would also be all black) in there too.

So in effect, black tie is interpreted as formal, and black and white night is interpreted as black tie, or closer to actual black tie than the black tie nights are. In fact, it actually sounds more like they are so used to people taking liberties with the dress code on black tie nights, that they made one of them a black and white night to try and get the guests somewhere near to actual black tie for at least one night out of four. Tee hee!

Going dressed as a nun sounds much easier :D

I'll pack full black tie and a few extra accessories, and see which way the wind is blowing at the time ;)

Edited by newbieafloat

Ok, so it's sounding like it's a lot more relaxed than I expected - although that does make sense if they're allowing dark suits and neck ties (which I had envisioned would also be all black) in there too.

So in effect, black tie is interpreted as formal, and black and white night is interpreted as black tie, or closer to actual black tie than the black tie nights are. In fact, it actually sounds more like they are so used to people taking liberties with the dress code on black tie nights, that they made one of them a black and white night to try and get the guests somewhere near to actual black tie for at least one night out of four. Tee hee!

Going dressed as a nun sounds much easier :D

I'll pack full black tie and a few extra accessories, and see which way the wind is blowing at the time ;)

That's it. No doubt some traditionalists wouldn't agree but its a holiday after all and whilst we like the dressing up part we also like a bit of "leeway". Still not sure about the nun though. :)

Black tie is a euphemism for the lesser formal style of formal evening wear - dinner jackets and black or coloured bow ties. This is as opposed to the more formal style, known as white tie, which requires tailcoats to be worn.

Edited by Denarius

Black tie is a euphemism for the lesser formal style of formal evening wear - dinner jackets and black or coloured bow ties. This is as opposed to the more formal style, known as white tie, which requires tailcoats to be worn.

Thanks Denarius. I was aware of the distinction between white and black tie, but also aware that some black tie events are stricter (less open to interpretation/adaptation) than others. I was just a little surprised that a cruise had a more flexible approach and that it was not uncommon to see colour/pattern added. All makes sense now

That's it. No doubt some traditionalists wouldn't agree but its a holiday after all and whilst we like the dressing up part we also like a bit of "leeway". Still not sure about the nun though. :)

Hello,

great to read others opinions of this.

Thanks

Your Bud

Ideally he should be a MacFarlane or Erskine and be from the Argyll and Sutherland Highlanders, and wearing his old army sporran.

Lol John

Well, John, his kilt is MacFarlane but he wasn't in the A and S Highlanders!

If anybody agrees or not the dress code should be inforced as on the azura it wasn't even on black and white night

I was quite surprised to see a few ladies in green or red dresses on B&W night - but perhaps they didn't know! On my first cruise I thought "black & white" was going to be a casual one for some reason - it was pure luck I had bought a black dress with me and luck again I'd chosen my red one for the first formal night! I bought a white shawl on the ship and I was ready :)

Don't panic - on our first B&W night I wore a black and white cocktail dress and hubby the same as he had worn on the other formal nights - black tie.

The year after he had found a black and white bow tie (by accident) so took that for fun. No big issue at all either way.

Have a great time :)

PS If you think about it the men are in black and white anyway ?!

Edited by Presto2