Riviera in Venice overnight questions

TheDarkestBlue

Hello! First time with Oceania, refugees from a deteriorating HAL where we are 2 star mariners. Have been doing a lot of research here for upcoming Rome to Venice on what looks like a magnificent Riviera, appreciate all the kind advice given on this forum, has been very helpful in deciding what line to try. Hope it's a good fit, love to cook and the focus on quality ingredients makes me happy, less people and a beautiful, quiet ship with port intensive itineraries are also big draws. This will be our 3rd time to Venice, but first cruising in....

I need some advice from those who are familiar, please? We will be staying over on Riviera in Venice the last night of the cruise, trying to make a 8:45am tour in the Dorsodoro nearby. How long might it take to get off the ship, grab luggage, go through customs (?), take Peoplemover to Piazzale Roma and get rid of luggage at bag deposit for the day? I have read that we can get off earlier than the usual debarkation, but need to estimate how much time we need from walking down the gangway to handing off bags?

Throwing out the above plan, might there be a chance they will dock Riviera at the smaller San Basilio? It will be very busy the first day with 6 ships in port, largest being Costa Deliziosa, then descending in size order, MSC Magnifica & Musica, Oceania Riviera, Thomson Celebration, and Hapag-Lloyd ms Europa. On debarkation day only 2 smaller ships will be in port Wind Surf and Thompson Majesty.

Also, are there alarm clocks in each cabin?

Thank you and any insight is much appreciated! :)

Thank you and any insight is much appreciated! :)

There are alarm clocks in all of the cabins, and there are six or seven berths in the Marittima Basin, so it is unlikely that the ship will dock anywhere else.

Honestly though, unless you travel VERY lightly or are in tremendous physical condition, the People mover isn't a realistic option with suitcases.

With any serious amount of luggage, you'll need to cab it to the People Mover anyway (it's two miles from the gangway to the Mover from some berths), and if you're in a hurry I'd suggest taking the cab direct to the Piazzale Roma and be done with it.

Once you are in the car, it is about a ten minute ride to the Piazzale Roma, and claiming your bags won't take any time at all.

Edited by StanandJim

Agree with above advice.

If time is of essence, remember that you can disembark very early that morning (even before official disembarkation) as the ship would have been cleared the day before, provided that you take your own luggage.

And - it is worth asking how early you can get off and claim your luggage in the Customs Hall. We were in Venice overnight on the Regent Mariner once. All bags were taken off the ship at around 0500 and we were told that we could disembark pretty much any time we wanted the next morning. We had to be at hertz at the Piazzale Roma when they opened at 0830. We left the ship at 0745. Walked to Customs, bags were there and off we went.

IF Oceania does the same (since you will be there overnight anyway) you won't have any problem. So ask a couple of days before...

Thank you all for the information :)

Taking a cab makes perfect sense and didn't occur to me - is there a taxi stand/line just past where you exit with your luggage? Will there be a customs/immigration station we need to queue for once we have the bags? I will give the heads up to the ship on our exit strategy ahead of time, so things run smoothly.

How does the disembarkation process run? Do they call you by zone or everyone just trickles out?

It's snowing like crazy here - up to 10 inches by the time it stops, 6 on the ground now - looking forward to springtime in Venice :D

Thank you all for the information :)

Taking a cab makes perfect sense and didn't occur to me - is there a taxi stand/line just past where you exit with your luggage? Will there be a customs/immigration station we need to queue for once we have the bags? I will give the heads up to the ship on our exit strategy ahead of time, so things run smoothly.

How does the disembarkation process run? Do they call you by zone or everyone just trickles out?

It's snowing like crazy here - up to 10 inches by the time it stops, 6 on the ground now - looking forward to springtime in Venice :D

There is an area where passengers wait for cars just outside of the Customs area, but as the Ship is overnighting in Venice, people will be leaving at their leisure, and particularly early in the morning you can't count on a car being there as you exit.

The head Porter may have to telephone to summon one, and Italians don't rush in the morning.

The bugbear for you is going to be making sure that you don't get to Customs just as their shift is changing. I would suggest asking about that on the day that you arrive in Venice.