Obstructed oceanview

lrockwitt

An obstructed view means there is something blocking all or part of the view from your cabin. Often it is a lifeboat in the way. You will get natural light coming into your cabin. Other than sailing in and out of port, on most cruises there is not much to see but water.

Should be great.

Emerald Deck is my preferred location on all Princess ships. The deals they often have on the obstructed OV cabins is just a bonus; I have never missed the balcony when booking a cabin without one.

And on the Island/Coral twins if you are near midship there are the two elevators by the internet center that only go to decks 5 thru 8 which makes it very easy to get to and from the dining rooms and other public areas below you.

Depending on the cabin, you may have a near-unobstructed view, or you may, as in the cabin we were upgraded to on the Coral, end up looking smack dab at the side of a tender, with the only view through two sets of tender windows. There is, somewhere, a website showing the views from specific obstructed ocean views. Positive is that wherever you are, you're guaranteed some daylight and some people quail at the idea of a windowless cabin. Negative is that it costs more than an inside and, if you're like us and spend very little of the daytime in the cabin, it can be kind of a waste of money. What other reply could you reasonably expect?

Edited by shepp

Check out this excellent site:

https://sites.google.com/site/cabinviewbyrenmar

He has collected photos of almost all OV cabins on the entire Princess fleet. You can look up your cabin and get a very good idea of what you'll be getting. Any "negative thoughts" would have to be determined by you - since you are not mentioning which itinerary you'll be sailing or how important a outside view is to you.

Depending on exactly which cabin you have, like a poster above me mentioned, you may or may not be able to actually see anything out of the window... For example, when I was on Island Princess last fall, I was in E522, which has a window facing smack into the inside of a massive lifeboat, you could barely tell if it was daylight out (but I got a deal on it that made it cheaper than a similarly located inside, so I didn't care). But someone else might, it's really in the eye of the beholder.

I frequently book obstructed cabins on Princess if doing a cold weather or port intensive itinerary. I do my homework and have had cabins with a perfectly clear view to those with some obstructions, but still a good view. I've never been in front of a life boat and I won't do an outside guarantee because I don't want to run the risk of getting that.

I booked an OZ TBA. My TA said it would be totally obstructed be the life boats. I went for it anyway. It really doesn't matter because I originally had booked an inside.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk