Need advice on Navigator Disembarkation Times/Flights

Help! I am so stuck on what to do - we are traveling on the Thanksgiving week Navigator out of FLL and the best flight options (and cheaper by $140/ticket) leave out of west palm beach at 11am. According to the itinerary, the ship docks at 530AM. If we did self assist express departure, do you think we would be able to arrive in time for this flight? (its domestic). I am assuming we would need to be at the airport by 930am. Flying out of PBI is by far the cheapest option for a family of 4 during Thanksgiving, but I just can't decide if it is even a real option. Thanks!

Thanksgiving will have a low risk of fog delaying your arrival, but you should know it's a possibility and could cause you to miss your flight.

Disembarkation will not begin until the ship has cleared customs, probably around 7:00am. You should be off the ship and through customs by 8:00am. Could be a bit earlier but I would not count on it. You didn't mention which Houston airport...Hobby is closest and about 45 minutes, Bush is farther and about 75 minutes. I would arrange a dedicated car (not a shared ride shuttle). If your flying out of Hobby, you should make it...if flying out of Bush I think it's too tight.

Thanksgiving will have a low risk of fog delaying your arrival, but you should know it's a possibility and could cause you to miss your flight.

Disembarkation will not begin until the ship has cleared customs, probably around 7:00am. You should be off the ship and through customs by 8:00am. Could be a bit earlier but I would not count on it. You didn't mention which Houston airport...Hobby is closest and about 45 minutes, Bush is farther and about 75 minutes. I would arrange a dedicated car (not a shared ride shuttle). If your flying out of Hobby, you should make it...if flying out of Bush I think it's too tight.

The OP is traveling from Fort Lauderdale to Palm Beach, not Galveston, Texas.

Help! I am so stuck on what to do - we are traveling on the Thanksgiving week Navigator out of FLL and the best flight options (and cheaper by $140/ticket) leave out of west palm beach at 11am. According to the itinerary, the ship docks at 530AM. If we did self assist express departure, do you think we would be able to arrive in time for this flight? (its domestic). I am assuming we would need to be at the airport by 930am. Flying out of PBI is by far the cheapest option for a family of 4 during Thanksgiving, but I just can't decide if it is even a real option. Thanks!

My experience in Fort Lauderdale is that getting off the ship is pretty consitent and 7:30am would be the earliest I would think you could walk off with luggage in hand. My concern is more woth the possible lines in customs.

Do you think your family and luggage can get away with one cab? The cab fare finder shows the cost to be $132.00

Be sure the cabbie turns on the meter... (another story for another thread).

Personally - I think it would be too tight...

Are you flying Alaska Air by chance? If so, check out United's rates.

The OP is traveling from Fort Lauderdale to Palm Beach, not Galveston, Texas.

Thank you for correcting me. I saw Navigator in the subject line and just thought...Galveston!

PBI is about an hour from the port. Off the ship at 7:30 through customs by 8:00. I think it's possible but don't know if its worth the stress. There's NO WAY to do it if you're going to try to do a rental car. The taxi or car service would be the only way. So figure in that cost as well. PBI is a small airport and even being there by 10:00 would probably work if you ran a little late. If this is on a weekday these times may be different, but on a weekend I think I'd take the chance if the price was a lot cheaper.

THank you! Well this morning, another flight opened up for the same price that left West Palm at 1230, so I booked it! I think if we do the early departure of ship and carry off our own luggage we should be good, right?? The fares were SO much cheaper than ft lauderdale. Like by $150 a TICKET! We can probably all fit in a cab...at least I hope so! We should have two large bags, a stroller and a carry on. I have another question about NOT traveling with car seats but I will make a new topic for that one :)

THank you! Well this morning, another flight opened up for the same price that left West Palm at 1230, so I booked it! I think if we do the early departure of ship and carry off our own luggage we should be good, right?? The fares were SO much cheaper than ft lauderdale. Like by $150 a TICKET! We can probably all fit in a cab...at least I hope so! We should have two large bags, a stroller and a carry on. I have another question about NOT traveling with car seats but I will make a new topic for that one :)

Yes that gives plenty of time. You probably could even rent a car one-way which may save a lot of money. You can search for car rental companies that are real close to the port here on Cruise Critic in the Florida departures thread. Should be able to do it for under $100.

As far a car seats are concerned, that's a hot topic here in the forums, BUT Florida does not require them if in a taxi or car-for hire service. The rental car company can provide one for a fee.

• 4 months later...