To Get NAILS or Not to Get NAILS?

Susa

I'm debating the acrylic nails for our cruise in Dec. I love how polish lasts forever on them and my cuticles stay nice as well. But I always have a problem with them lifting on the sides. I'm afraid one will lift off on the cruise.:eek: Are repairs expensive in the salons on board? We'll be on X Century. Thanks!

The salons on cruise ships can repair artificial nails, but it's not cheap. Personally I use nail glue and bring polish remover and the polish I used. You can also buy a small acrylic kit from a drugstore, if you practice fixing a nail a couple of times it's really easy. I am a meatwrapper for a living and if I can wear fake nails with my job, anyone can.

I had the gels and then acrylics and yes they are nice but only for 2 weeks. Then you have to fill them...get expensive. But the worst part is with the acrylic is that they yellow. So if you are doing a french, they turn yellow with the sun...just awful. And they ruin your natural nail. I wanted them to protect my longer nails from breaking all the time...but when I took them off (the acrylics were salon not press on), I had to cut my nails down so short it will be months to see any growth. And they are so thin and weak. I am sorry I ever did them.

If your acrylic nails are turning yellow then your nail tech is using the wrong stuff...I've had acrylic with gel overlay for years and never had any yellowing problems, nor have any of my friends. Talk to friends and get them done elsewhere. Hope this helps...just a suggestion...

Guest Cookiegirl

Natural nails are best and are also "in"... according to my nail magazines. Keep a little free-edge and wear whatever color you love. To help colored polish last longer on natural nails, use a good topcoat -- like OPI's Start to Finish -- every 2 to 3 days. That way you're wearing off the topcoat instead of the colored polish as you work. I've seen many, many nails ruined by people who go to 'cheap' nail salons for acrylics. I had a client who wore acrylics for less than a year... her nails became very thin and brittle (brittle to the point that the nail could hardly be filed!) and it took a few years for her nails to become strong again. This is not to say you shouldn't wear acrylics... just be cautious as to where you have them done. Although I'm fortunate to have long natural nails, my preference for enhancements are gel nails... they're lighter weight than acrylics and look natural. Whatever you choose to do, I hope you have a fabulous cruise... you'll love the Century!

Sorry gals, I'm an acrylic girl. Get them done religiously every 2 weeks and always with a french manicure. My nails are just nasty and week when I don't have them and they last on me forever and ever. I get a new set put on every 4th fill. I keep them very short. In fact, part of my cruise ritual, is a manicure/pedicure french of course, the night before we leave. Has to be done!

Hey Susa - If you don't have great nails, I would go with the acrylics. If they're lifting on the sides, sounds like they're not being put on correctly. As for Century, they do acrylics but without the electric buffer (?), all the filing is done by hand and they do a wonderful job. Never had a repair on board, but for a full set, it cost me about $90. (They were lovely!) Someone once told me that the french manicure turns yellow in the sun - so for that reason I always went with a light colored polish. But, it might just be a tale. Good luck!

Patty

I had "nails" for a couple of years. I did love them for a while but, they became an expensive chore. Once I had them removed, it took many months for the poor paper thin things to grown out and be healthy again. Personally, I would never do it again.

I agree that shorter, natural nails with clear polish are the "in" look. When I look at fashion magazines or even just watch tv, I never see a single long (or fake) nail.

I had nails done last cruise for the first time. It probably willbe the last time.

the nails were nice. they lasted 2 weeks but in time my left hand nails grew a fungus at the corners.. now Ibeen fighting with that since Febraury. Not worth it to me.

Unless there is something I can/should be doing to avoid the fungus

I have worn acrylic twice. Unless you are planning on keeping up with the acrylic every two weeks (or more) indefinitely, don't do it! It is very damaging to your nails and weakens the nails. It takes your nails a long time to recover. Never mind the expensive up keep. My nails grow very fast, so I needed a fill every 10 days, which got VERY expensive. I can't justify spending $25 on a fill every 10 days. If your nails aren't great, treat yourself to a manicure now and get a couple more before the cruise and your nails will get healthier if you go to a good nail tech.

My whole life my natural nails have been thin, short and ugly. Acrylic nails have been my "good" nails for 15 years. I love the french look and did the painted french for years. It does yellow with prolonged sun exposure. I have even used the top coat with SPF to protect it but nothing worked. For the last 3 years I have been getting solar nails (sometimes called "pink & white"). You get the french look and there is NO NAIL POLISH! I love them. The effect is created by using two different colors of acrylic powder. Best of all, there is no yellowing!!! :D

As far as fungus goes...

Good nail salons sanitize everything and the shop will be clean. I recommend checking out a nail salon at least twice before you allow them to touch your nails - once at opening and once at closing. I believe that their start up and shut down procedures tell a lot about their commitment to cleanliness. Pay special attention to the tools that they use for pedicures. If they go from one patron to another without pulling out a new, sanitized set run for the hills. :eek:

Short, natural nails are definitely "in" right now. If you look in fashion magazines, most of the celebrities and models have short, rounded nails. I used to have Forever French acrylics, and I loved the look, but it was too much upkeep, and too expensive. So now I keep my nails short.

Having said that, I may get acrylics again for my cruise next summer, because that way I don't have to worry about polish chipping. I like to wear nail polish, so I don't really want to have my nails go "naked" for the cruise, but I know if I paint them, it will start chipping around the third day, no matter what I do. I don't really want to worry about that on my cruise. My last cruise, I had Forever French acrylics and I didn't have to worry the whole time. I had just gotten them done so there was no problem with lifting, and I didn't have any problems with yellowing, either.

My DIL is a professional beautician/nail tech and freely offers her services to me. I've tried various types of "fake" nails over the years with short-term success. My busy schedule left little time for fill-ins, repairs and other maintenance issues. Besides, after the nails (whatever type) came off/were taken off, my nails took awhile to recover.

I'm a nurse who washes her hands zillions of times at work and all that water kept my nails soft and "bendable." With the help of my DIL, I finally found a system that works for me - I apply two coats of Sally Hansen's Hard as Nails, two coats of a colored polish, and then two more coats of Hard as Nails.

I now have the longest, hardest nails imaginable! I actually have to trim them on a regular basis to keep from having them look like talons. The Hard as Nails provides the strengthening and also protects whatever color I'm wearing at the time. Once I put on all six coats, the only reason I ever have to think about my nails is when I'm in the mood to change the color.

Don't know if this will work for everyone, but it sure does for me. My coworkers are always amazed and envious that my nails are so strong - and real!

This is a great thread. I've always had perfect nails till menopause and asthma steroids. Now I have trouble getting them long at all. But since I have a weekly manicure, they look fine. I had gels put on a few months ago, and hated them!!! Pulled them off the first week. I heard from a friend just the other day that she uses the Hard as Nails and has had good results, also. So, now I'm off to get some and give it a go. Thanks to all of you for such good advice. I will definitely stay with my shorter, well-kept nails.

Esther

I've used acrylics constantly for about 8 years now. Shop around for a good shop. Most places don't use enough acrylic, causing the problems you're having, broken nails and others. Mine is GREAT and I don't break or lift a nail but maybe 3 or 4 times a year.

I NEVER get fill-ins every two weeks? Maybe my nails grow slower or something, but I don't even NEED one until 4 weeks and can go 6 before they start getting noticeable. I get about 2 new sets a year, and when I do I always get the white tips - they are totally maintenance free! Unfortunately, they're only good until the first fill-in, when they get covered.

I have never had a yellow nail (and I smoke!)... not sure what the problem is there. I will say, though, that if you do color, you really can't go to French until you're next new set - the polish does discolor the nail.

I've used acrylics constantly for about 8 years now. Shop around for a good shop. Most places don't use enough acrylic, causing the problems you're having, broken nails and others. Mine is GREAT and I don't break or lift a nail but maybe 3 or 4 times a year.

I NEVER get fill-ins every two weeks? Maybe my nails grow slower or something, but I don't even NEED one until 4 weeks and can go 6 before they start getting noticeable. I get about 2 new sets a year, and when I do I always get the white tips - they are totally maintenance free! Unfortunately, they're only good until the first fill-in, when they get covered.

I have never had a yellow nail (and I smoke!)... not sure what the problem is there. I will say, though, that if you do color, you really can't go to French until you're next new set - the polish does discolor the nail.

You are lucky that you can go that long without a fill! 14 days was the most I could go and it looked pretty ratty by then!

I will be trying the Hard as Nails regimen and see if that helps.

I've never had acrylics but I can't imagine getting them just for a cruise. We tend to have very active, beach-laden cruises where my pedicure usually needs to be redone within a few days - I can't imagine (any kind!) of manicure surviving very long. But I guess that depends on what you're doing on your cruises. :)

I did get my first professional pedicure a few months ago when I was a bridesmaid in a wedding, and what a treat! Definitely something to splurge on every once in awhile for a special occasion or to remedy a blue mood. :) I got a manicure (just painted nails) also that only lasted a few days. I'll have to check out that OPI "start to finish" top coat. I have used other topcoats in the past without much luck. :confused:

The pedicure, on the other hand lasted about 3 weeks (with no trips to the beach. :) )

Carrie

I've never had acrylics but I can't imagine getting them just for a cruise. We tend to have very active, beach-laden cruises

That's the beauty of acrylics. When done properly (which, admittedly, they usually aren't), they are virtually indestructible and maintenance-free.

I have been getting gel nails for 2 years now and would never go to acrylics. I can actually go 3-4 weeks. They do not change color and they look natural (that's what people tell me). If, they start to come off, which is rarely, I use superglue. I even go scuba diving in them and they hold up well after days of being in the water for a long time.

Nliedel - Just read where you mentioned that nail polish won't stay on for you. I had the same problem because my own nails are too oily. But as I said in my previous post, I swear by two base coats of Hard as Nails and now my nail polish, topped by two more coats, NEVER comes off! I have to take it off with an acetone nail polish remover when I want to change colors.

If I'm going "natural" I simply apply multiple coats of clear Hard as Nails and get the same enduring strength. No yellow nails and no yellow appearance with the clear, either!

I know Hansen also makes Hard as Nails in colors but haven't tried any of them because I already have a zillion bottles of colored nail polish that never used to stay on until I tried the Hard as Nails.

(Sorry if I sound like a commercial - it's just that I could never grow my own nails long or keep color on them before my "six-layer" Hard as Nails method.)

copnlpn2 THANK YOU. My problem is oil. I have very oily skin (I was under the impression this changed after 40 but that's a lie!) and I cannot get it to stick. Going out to get clear Hard as Nails tonight. I have a ton of colors. I was thinking of a sheer taupe for the cruise. I cannot wear red because some of my clothes are rose.

Nliedel - One tip for success with your nail polish application. Be sure to allow each coat to dry thoroughly before applying the next one! I found this out the hard way and had to remove all six layers and start over - eek!

I always let each coat dry until I can touch it with light pressure and not feel the slightest bit of tackiness. I really think that by doing the six layers, with adequate drying time in between, that you'll be pleased with the results. Let me know how it works for you (You'll find me over on CC's RCCL Mariner thread.)

Good luck!

Archived