To Get NAILS or Not to Get NAILS?

Susa

copnlpn2 THANK YOU. My problem is oil. I have very oily skin (I was under the impression this changed after 40 but that's a lie!) and I cannot get it to stick. Going out to get clear Hard as Nails tonight. I have a ton of colors. I was thinking of a sheer taupe for the cruise. I cannot wear red because some of my clothes are rose.

I also have very oily skin and I have had great success through the years with Sally Hansen Hard As Nails.

First, buff the tops of your nails so they are smooth with no ridges. Use a fine grain nail polish.

I only use one coat of basecoat.

Two coats of color.

One topcoat first day and then an additional topcoat the second day.

My problem is people think my nails are fake.

Go figure.

I've never had acrylics but I can't imagine getting them just for a cruise. We tend to have very active, beach-laden cruises where my pedicure usually needs to be redone within a few days - I can't imagine (any kind!) of manicure surviving very long. But I guess that depends on what you're doing on your cruises. :)

I was fairly active on my last cruise. We went to the beach and went on shore excursions. I think acrylics are actually better for a more active vacation than just natural nails. My nails are naturally fragile and prone to breaking. Nail polish just won't adhere to my nails, no matter what I do or what polish I use, so chipping and the subsequent reapplication of nail polish would be another hassle. Acrylics can lift on the edges, but if they are done well and you got them done recently before the cruise, you shouldn't have a problem with that at all. The acrylics themselves are very durable--it is really hard for them to break. Nail polish adheres to them better, so there's not any touchups on a week long cruise, or you can get Forever French, which never needs touchups. Its really less hassle, and while you may think that acrylic nails are too fussy or dramatic, you can get them in any shape, length or style you want, so if you want something simple and natural-looking, you can get that! I definitely recommend them for a cruise! :)

I have fair nails and really prefer naturals. Had to have a patch and tip done last Sat. A hint I picked up on this board in mid 03 was to use a coat of Revlon Extra Life top coat immediatly after a manicure and every day/two after. Had a manicure last Sat for DD's wedding, did the revlon Sat nite but not since. Today is thur, am on computer at work or doing equipment maintenance all day and nails still look salon fresh.

Stuff is avail at Wal-mart and Ulta3 (best prices).

I have acrylic gell ontop of my natural nails, no acrylic tips. I keep them very short, just to the end of my fingertips, and usually with a french manicure or a very light pink polish. I love the acrylic because the polish lasts for a full two weeks. I don't have any problem with the nails turning yellow or the acrylic lifting. My manicurist told me that the acrylic tends to lift if the nails are in water a lot. So, I wear gloves when doing dishes and keep my hands out of the bathtub when taking a bath.

Go for the acrylics if you want. They are easy and fun!

I have a thin layer of gel over my natural nails, although I do wear them a bit past the tips of my fingers. Like Iggipolka I don't have "tips" applied.

I have great nails, but since I use my hands a lot I do tend to chip them and I dislike having one nail shorter than the others.

Some acrylics will lift or turn yellow. It depends on many factors, one major factor being the quality of the product and the primer applied prior to acrylic. Cheap top coats or clear coats will also turn yellow. Make sure you use a *base coat*...not just a clear under colored polish.

You can decide based on the pros and cons:

Pros: the nail polish lasts longer and is more chip resistant, your nails will be stronger...etc.

Cons: you must have them filled every few weeks depending on how fast your nails grow, and once you have any product (solar nails, gels, acrylics) applied your natural nails, they will be damaged and you will have to wait for them grow out before they will look decent.

Either way, enjoy your cruise!

Best wishes,

~e

I had really bad nails to begin with, thin, curl, break, etc. I decided to get acrylic tips 5 years ago and now my nails look great! Of course I don't have the tips anymore but I still get the acrylic overlay on my natural nails. I do wear them short and have only broken one in extreme conditions. My nails look so healthy and are strong now. I do maintain them so that they stay healthy and look great. I am a baker/cook and my hands are always in water. I get fills about every 3 weeks or so.

These are just suggestions and it works for me.

Get them only if you want them and want to maintain them, fill, expense etc.

Also if you are getting them, get them early so you are used to them and get a fill before you cruise. See what length works best for you. I keep mine short and round – just like me hehe :D

Find a reputable salon and check it out, ask around, even ask customers in the salon about the place and the techs. Also I think you can check the place out with the BBB and the local health department. I will only have my tech do my nails, I will come back another time if she is running late on my appointment instead of having someone else do my nails. Nothing against the others but my tech does an excellent job for me, I trust her and she knows my nails.

Acrylic or no acrylic…

As far as yellowing and chipping, make sure they use an acrylic UV top coat, and a good polish like OPI (love it, lasts forever). Tell them you are going on vacation with swimming and sunning etc. I think they do a better job if they know the conditions. Also sunscreen will yellow and soften the polish and the acrylics be careful when applying and wash your hand afterwards. This will keep the yellow down. Make sure if you are pre-tanning to get the UV topcoat. I never do French tip for a cruise because I am afraid of the yellow and would rather keep more of a flesh tone. Just a personal preference. They probably wouldn’t yellow but I just don’t want to deal with it on vacation.

Get the Acrylic UV topcoat from the salon that they use on your nails they should sell it to you. Mine does for $3 a bottle and I recoat a couple of times. I also use it on my toes and it lasts forever too.

Also lighter polish colors don’t show chips and scratches or growth between fills as bad as the bright colors.

Whether its on natural or acrylic I think the big secret here is a good manicure, good polish and the salons UV topcoat. Bring superglue/repair kit/polish just in case of lift and chip and have the peace of mind that you can get a repair at the salon on board, don’t worry too much.

Everyone enjoy your cruises!

Maureen

11/20/05 14 day Hawaiian Cruise - Celebrity Infinity

2/4/6 - 8 day Caribbean Cruise - Carnival Liberty

To the lady with the fungus, I would try some teatree oil diluted in water and soak for about 15 min. I'm not sure anymore the the mixture but ask in the health food store if you decide to buy it (it's sold in healthfood stores).

To the lady with the fake nail question, I would never do acrylic nails again. While I was lucky and had no probs, the horror stories I've heard and read about is enough to say "no thank you". Thankfully I'm blessed that I don't need them, but wouldn't do it even if I did from all I've heard.

The the ladies who say, natural short nails are in, absoultely according to either Vogue or In Style, they just did a piece a couple of months ago on natural nails.

I know some people can have the nails and have no probs whatsoever. Personally I'd leave off the fake nails and just think one less thing to worry about

Guess everyone has different stories about acrylics. One of the ways they lift is if the acrylic is applied so close that it overlaps slightly onto the skin or cuticle. So when the nail grows out the acrylic goes with it, leaving that gap from where it was previously on the skin. I've also been on many vacations and I do a lot of snorkeling and swimming and have never had a problem with breakage or softening. The key is correct application. I 've been going to my guy for years at one of those Vietnamese nail shops and he is excellent. Price for a fill is only $16, with a new full set every so often at $25. I know I've been in some fancy salons where the fill is $25:eek: , plus all the filing is done by hand and it takes forever. So I could see where that could get pricey and time consuming and discourage people to have them done.

I have heard all of the horror stories, but I've never had a bad experience with having the overlay. I have had them done for about 15 years now, and even when I was in the Army and working at a field hospital, or even a field excercise I never had a problem.

I agree that *looking* natural is the best...I'm not a big fan of the "Claw" like nails I see so often on women, but if I didn't tell someone that I have an overlay...no one would know.

The gentleman that does mine is fabulous!

But, as with so many other things, it really is an individual choice.

Just FYI: if you use any type of bug spray or lotion, the higher the percentage of Deet, the more likely it will remove the nail polish (it actually melts it and creates quite a mess), so keep that in mind if you are going anywhere there is a chance of needing anti-bug stuff.

~e

Made my appointment for my first manicure/pedicure for tomorrow.

Cruise is Sunday.

I have one quick question. I would like to do a very pale polish shade on my fingernails and maybe a much darker shade for my toenails. Is that acceptable?

I have no clue since I rarely polish my nails other than clear.

Thanks in advance!

mrsred ~ Thanks so much for the quick reply!

I thought it was acceptable...but just wanted to make sure. :D

I plan on enjoying each and every second of my first cruise! **crossing fingers** that Ophelia goes wayyyy out to sea by the time we leave port.

Thanks!!!!

Made my appointment for my first manicure/pedicure for tomorrow.

Cruise is Sunday.

I have one quick question. I would like to do a very pale polish shade on my fingernails and maybe a much darker shade for my toenails. Is that acceptable?

I have no clue since I rarely polish my nails other than clear.

Thanks in advance!

Absolutely! I have a very pale pink on my nails and a bright sexy red on my toes. :)

I plan on enjoying each and every second of my first cruise! **crossing fingers** that Ophelia goes wayyyy out to sea by the time we leave port.

Thanks!!!!

Good plan!

Absolutely! I have a very pale pink on my nails and a bright sexy red on my toes.

I agree. My toes are always a shade of red. My feet deserve a little bit of fun since I force them to carry me around in high heels all of the time.

~e

I was wearing gel nails for 2 years and just recently had them removed. My nail tech is wanting me to wait at least 2 months before re-applying, but I'm starting to think I may leave them off for good. I did love the look, but my nails are so short (even with gels) it just seems like a waste of $ to me now. Luckily, she won't mind, she's been at me forever to take them off and get plain manicures.

There was minimal damage to my natural nails from the gel, since they don't grind the natural nail. The damage incurs for acrylic nails because they have to grind down your natural nail to get the material to "stick". Repeated grinding, especially by some of the cheaper shops needing fast turnover can create damage that won't be corrected for months, sometimes even years. So, for the people who go cheap and have good results, you have been very lucky.

Nail fungus is a different story. If you can't get rid of it with over the counter fungus preparations, it is time to see a doctor. Also, let your family, friends and co-workers, as well as your state Consumer Affairs Board, know where you contracted the fungus, they need to be inspected.

The tools that are used for manicure/pedicure need to be sanitized and autoclaved (sp) between each client. I've never seen this done in the cheaper salons, but I haven't gone to one of those in years. The salon I go to has the autoclave in their supply area, in full view. Also, be wary of the whirlpool tubs for pedicures, they can be ripe with bacteria and fungus. Even if they spray the tubs with disinfectant, the filters are still dirty, make sure they disinfect the whirpool filter before your pedicure. Best yet, avoid the whirlpool tubs and ask for a plain sink. It doesn't feel as nice, but an infection is a lot worse.

I have to add (because I don't know when to shut up), we owned a hair salon for 16 years and did not have acrylic nail services available, the liability insurance was just too high. This was during a time when the Board of Cosmetology in California dropped manicurists from their board because of so much fraud and so much shoddy work going on. I'm hopeful the new Manicurist Board has corrected the problems. There was no one who spoke Vietnamese at the board at the time, the translators were found to be cheating to get the people their license. The shops were full of people who had never gone to school and working under another persons license.

From time to time, I still read of lawsuits from people who have lost nails because of shoddy service and infection. Paula Abdul is now suing a nail salon, you may remember her injury from this past season on AI. Pretty scary stuff, enough to keep me away from acrylics.

What an interesting read this post has been. Thanks.

Over the years I have tried all sort of nail tricks.

When I did my own nails it would chip in a day or 2.

Switched to a salon & gel overlay to keep the polish on for 2 weeks. Tim got me to change the shape of my nails from round to square.

I love OPI polish. Does really stay on.

Never have had any salon horrors. Yikes! Hope not too.

Have thought about doing the pink & white nails, but, I tan & did not think that they would hold up.

A good manicure & pedicure is always a great pre-cruise treat :)

Bon Voyage

SunPrincess (and any others) My nail tech uses OPI, so that is what I have on my nails (toes and fingers). But, in the past, I've used Chanel nail polish and it really stays on better than OPI. Of course, it does cost a bit more. They have beautiful colors, I'm talking myself into buying another bottle.

I've also been using a product (on the tech's advise) called NailTique, it's like clear polish and is for problem nails (peeling, brittle). It's also a bit pricey, but she swears by this stuff, so I'll be using it for a couple of months.

Hi ladies. I stumbled across this thread by accident but thought I'd put my .02 cents in. :) I used to be a slave to acrylic nails. I couldn't grow my own nails and I bit off my natural nails. Terrible habit. Then in 1990 I asked my doctor what I could do and he suggested I take prenatal vitamins. There's something in prenatal vitamins that makes your hair and your nails grow fast. Yes, pregnant women should take prenatal vitamins. I'm currently pregnant, expecting my first child at any moment but I've been taking prenatal vitamins for 15 years and they work! I have amazingly strong nails and they grow so fast. Prenatal vitamins are multi vitamins that happen to have things that pregnant women specifically need but they're also great for all women. I can't endorse them enough. I buy the generic brand at Wal Mart or my local grocery store.

Archived