HAL suite amenities vs. competition

Former Goalie

We have sailed HAL, RCL, NCL, Princess, and Celebrity (way back when), all in suites, all mass market lines IMHO. Also Regent, once, I'm not including that, as that could be considered a more "upscale" line, thus not comparable.

Don't get me wrong, I like what HAL offers, but feel the suite amenities fall short of the offerings of the other mass market lines, except maybe for Princess. Any comments, and does anyone think that perhaps HAL will revamp its suite amenities?

It is all a matter of what is important to you. Currently have a Princess suite booked, was just looking at Celebrity suites, and have sailed 9 times in HAL suites.

I didn't notice a lot of difference between what Celebrity offered to it's suites, as compared to HAL. A Butler, which we find little use for.

HAL on the other hand, offers free, unlimited laundry to it's suite pax. That is VERY important to us.

Yes, we would like it if HAL offered adult drinks in the Suite Lounge, like RCI does.

Edited by CruiserBruce

The standard Princess suites range up to 932 sq ft. They include a separate sitting area & coffee table, sofa bed, upgraded balcony furniture (loungers, dining table, chairs), complimentary mini-bar set-up, CD/DVD player w/access to a complimentary DVD library, luxury pillow-top mattress. 100% Egyptian cotton bed linens, pillow menu, luxury towels and bathrobes, fresh orchid in stateroom, upgraded bathroom amenities (bath salts, soothing gel eye mask), roomy walk-in closet, hot tub in select suites. Grand suites also feature personal computer, wet bar, and fireplace. Also included is:

• priority embarkation and disembarkation at tender ports and private lounge at end of cruise.
  • Priority onboard shore excursion reservations
  • Private portrait sitting with onboard photographer
  • Dedicated priority line at Guest Services
  • Use of the Lotus Spa Thermal Suite
  • Exclusive Suite Breakfast served in Sabatini's with complimentary mimosa each morning
  • Exclusive Elite lounge with complimentary hors d'oeuvres
  • Extended room service menu with full breakfast, lunch, and dinner offerings.
  • Preferred Traditional or anytime Dining reservations
  • Nightly delivery of deluxe canapes upon request
  • Afternoon Tea service in Suite upon request
  • Complementary cover charge for one of the speciality restaurants on embarkation evening
  • Chef's Welcome Goodies on embarkation day
  • Complimentary flower corsage and boutonniere for your first formal night
  • Enhanced turndown service with 6 chocolate dipped strawberries or wrapped chocolates presented on a silver tray

My favorites are full menus/meals (breakfast, lunch, and dinner) in the room

Canapes and flowers

Priority embarkation and debarkation

DVD's

Louts Spa Thermal Suite

Afternoon Tea

Breakfast in Sabatini's

Mini Bar Set-up first time free

The Suite and Balcony.

Edited by qsuzi

The standard Princess suites range up to 932 sq ft. They include a separate sitting area & coffee table, sofa bed, upgraded balcony furniture (loungers, dining table, chairs), complimentary mini-bar set-up, CD/DVD player w/access to a complimentary DVD library, luxury pillow-top mattress. 100% Egyptian cotton bed linens, pillow menu, luxury towels and bathrobes, fresh orchid in stateroom, upgraded bathroom amenities (bath salts, soothing gel eye mask), roomy walk-in closet, hot tub in select suites. Grand suites also feature personal computer, wet bar, and fireplace. Also included is:

• priority embarkation and disembarkation at tender ports and private lounge at end of cruise.
  • Priority onboard shore excursion reservations
  • Private portrait sitting with onboard photographer
  • Dedicated priority line at Guest Services
  • Use of the Lotus Spa Thermal Suite
  • Exclusive Suite Breakfast served in Sabatini's with complimentary mimosa each morning
  • Exclusive Elite lounge with complimentary hors d'oeuvres
  • Extended room service menu with full breakfast, lunch, and dinner offerings.
  • Preferred Traditional or anytime Dining reservations
  • Nightly delivery of deluxe canapes upon request
  • Afternoon Tea service in Suite upon request
  • Complementary cover charge for one of the speciality restaurants on embarkation evening
  • Chef's Welcome Goodies on embarkation day
  • Complimentary flower corsage and boutonniere for your first formal night
  • Enhanced turndown service with 6 chocolate dipped strawberries or wrapped chocolates presented on a silver tray

My favorites are full menus/meals (breakfast, lunch, and dinner) in the room

Canapes and flowers

Priority embarkation and debarkation

DVD's

Louts Spa Thermal Suite

Afternoon Tea

Breakfast in Sabatini's

The Suite and Balcony.

I never saw the chocolates or strawberries. The lounge is not exclusive to suites. Both platinum and elite have access to it. Same thing at the front desk. As an elite I have the same access. Same for the embark and debark (embarkation and debarkation for those that don't understand abbreviations).

Edited by cruz chic

We have sailed HAL, RCL, NCL, Princess, and Celebrity (way back when), all in suites, all mass market lines IMHO. Also Regent, once, I'm not including that, as that could be considered a more "upscale" line, thus not comparable.

Don't get me wrong, I like what HAL offers, but feel the suite amenities fall short of the offerings of the other mass market lines, except maybe for Princess. Any comments, and does anyone think that perhaps HAL will revamp its suite amenities?

I've also sailed in full suites on all those lines and I agree with you. And judging HALs history of changing things, they will always be the line with the least perks.

Princess, Norwegian and RCCL. Cruised all 3 and Princess had best food overall. Norwegian was a McDonalds Cruise with lots of kids. Have nothing against them as I have 10 grandchildren. Lots of Retires living onboard Princess from Russia, Very friendly and great dancers. One 81 yr old lady would be dancing til 1 AM when I went to bed. Princess and RCCL were very clean. The bigger ships have more people thus more wait time. There is only so much Cruise lines can do with food from industrial freezers. RCCL and Norwegian don't have the amenities in cabin HCL does.

I never saw the chocolates or strawberries. The lounge is not exclusive to suites. Both platinum and elite have access to it. Same thing at the front desk. As an elite I have the same access. Same for the embark and debark (embarkation and debarkation for those that don't understand abbreviations).

Someone goofed by not bringing you the strawberries or chocolates. Enjoy the Elite perks. Do you like the Elite lounge? Princess does have a priority line at Guest Services but yes not every perk is exclusive.

Edited by qsuzi

Royal Caribbean Suite amenities include (does not include Junior Suite):

Priority check-in

Complimentary Concierge Club service on select ships (like Neptune Lounge but also free cocktails at night)

Reserved prime seating in the main theater for entertainment shows

Priority tender tickets on select cruises

VIP pool deck seating

Full breakfast, lunch, dinner dining room menus available for in-room dining

Private breakfast and lunch seating in specialty restaurants (Voyager and Freedom Class ships)

Complimentary luggage valet service

Luxury spa bathrobes for use onboard

Complimentary pressing service on formal night

Priority departure with exclusive suite* departure lounge featuring continental breakfast

Also complimentary fruit plate & bottle water on boarding day, luxury spa bathrobes for use onboard, fine toiletries, in-room coffee maker and coffee, pillow menu, complimentary pressing service, Captain's Welcome Aboard, in-room playstation with games, limited suite sun zone - pool deck - studio b (ice skating), and aqua theater - seating, complimentary binoculars for use onboard. and concierge services.

Edited by qsuzi

Someone goofed by not bringing you the strawberries or chocolates. Enjoy the Elite perks. Do you like the Elite lounge? Princess does have a priority line at Guest Services but yes not every perk is exclusive.

The cabin steward was really bad when I had the suite so he probably did miss them.

The elite lounge is ok but it's the same one as the platinum have. I did go up twice on my last cruise. The snacks were fine but not as nice as the neptune lounge which is available all day to suites.

I read this to mean the OP though HAL was better than Princess.

I could never get past how small the Princess balconies are compared to the others, and so prefer HAL or RCCL. Have not done celebrity yet. Did an NCL suite 30 years ago and it was AWESOME! Haven looks nice, but $$$.

Like the RCCL drinks and can usually sweet talk some internet time from the Concierge. Really like the show and pool preferred seeting RCCL has for suites pax.

Like the HAL NL coffee, 2 concierges (vs. 1 on RCCL), free laundry and corner afts. Prefer the Pinnacle for breakfast vs. the room RCCL has.

Trout

The cabin steward was really bad when I had the suite so he probably did miss them.

The elite lounge is ok but it's the same one as the platinum have. I did go up twice on my last cruise. The snacks were fine but not as nice as the neptune lounge which is available all day to suites.

The reason I didn't list the Platinum/Elite Lounge (not a dedicated room and place varies by those number eligible on that sailing)is because to me it has minimum appetizers and the drinks are $5 specials. I think I read on HAL you get 2 drinks for the price of 1 .

Edited by qsuzi

The reason I didn't list the Platinum/Elite Lounge (not a dedicated room and place varies by those number eligible on that sailing)is because to me it has minimum appetizers and the drinks are $5 specials. I think I read on HAL you get 2 drinks for the price of 1 .

Yes, hal has some happy hours but it's open to everyone on the ship. No status is required.

The Neptune/Pinnacle Suite amenities that mean much to me in our Neptune Suites are Neptune Lounge, breakfast in Pinnacle, included dry cleaning (I'm 5* Mariner so get free laundry), concierge service, priority embarkation/debark and tendering, and being assigned dining time of my choice. Those are the 'stand out' amenities that I am willing to pay for.

Edited by sail7seas

The amenities that mean much to me in our Neptune Suites are Neptune Lounge, breakfast in Pinnacle, included dry cleaning (I'm 5* Mariner so get free laundry), concierge service, priority embarkation/debark and tendering, and being assigned dining time of my choice. Those are the 'stand out' amenities that I am willing to pay for.

Those are things we would be willing to pay extra for, if it was an option to buy those perks while in a Vista Suite. We were really torn between a (so-called) Vista "Suite," and a Neptune Suite which is more of a Suite experience. We ended up going with a Vista Suite because it has the aft facing balcony, which has been a dream of my husbands since we started cruising several years ago. But as far as the perks go, it's more of a "deluxe" Verandah than a Suite, IMHO. And being first time HAL cruisers, we won't be welcome at the Mariner's Embarkation Luncheon either. So far our first HAL experience doesn't seem very welcoming, but still we are looking forward to the cruise. It's just one lunch, and we will make sure to eat before we board. We would rather avoid the buffet, we prefer sit down restaurants. I hope HAL's loyal pax are right, and it will be a good cruise. Happy cruising all.

Lorie

We have a Neptune suite booked for a HAL cruise, but as of now the only line on which we have had a suite is Cunard. They have two levels of suites: Princess Grill (slightly smaller than Neptune) and Queen's Grill (the size of Neptunes and larger.) The biggest difference is that Cunard provides a restaurant to each Grill class. Each operates in the first class tradition: one sitting for all meals with a flexible time for each meal. The two Grill rooms are almost identical, but Queen's offers a more extensive menu and the encouragement to order whatever you want in case the menu of the day and the à la carte menu do not please. Queen's Grill suites offer real Champagne on embarkation and a complimentary in-suite bar maintained by the butler who will also arrange a soirée for your new friends.

There is also exclusive deck space which is small on the Queen Mary 2 but huge on the other "Queens." There is a concierge lounge similar to the Neptune lounge on the Queen Mary 2 and one other exclusive lounge. On the smaller ships there is just one lounge. Cunard, however, does not offer the laundry/dry cleaning benefit that HAL does.

We booked a Neptune Suite for our May Alaska cruise because the fare was reasonable. For many of the peak-season cruises the fare for Neptune suites is similar to what Cunard charges. Considering the lack of benefits on HAL I wouldn't consider it for a moment. At first we considered some cruises on the Boston-Quebec route but we noticed some were priced at almost CA$5000 pp which is way more than we have ever spent on Cunard for more amenities.

Those are things we would be willing to pay extra for, if it was an option to buy those perks while in a Vista Suite. We were really torn between a (so-called) Vista "Suite," and a Neptune Suite which is more of a Suite experience. We ended up going with a Vista Suite because it has the aft facing balcony, which has been a dream of my husbands since we started cruising several years ago. But as far as the perks go, it's more of a "deluxe" Verandah than a Suite, IMHO. And being first time HAL cruisers, we won't be welcome at the Mariner's Embarkation Luncheon either. So far our first HAL experience doesn't seem very welcoming, but still we are looking forward to the cruise. It's just one lunch, and we will make sure to eat before we board. We would rather avoid the buffet, we prefer sit down restaurants. I hope HAL's loyal pax are right, and it will be a good cruise. Happy cruising all.

Lorie

If HAL were to sell those items that make the Neptune Suite worth it to me to people not in a Neptune, the extra square footage of a Neptune would in no way make it worth the amount of extra money we pay. Sure, there are those that get the $199 upsells and good for them but many of us book and pay 'full up price' for those Neptunes. The Neptune Lounges cannot handle anymore people than are in those suites. They aren't designed for it and the concierges cannot take care of more people. Pinnacle is a lovely extra we pay for when booking the Neptune. If HAL starts selling that to people in other cabins, they will start seeing even people like me who have booked those Suites since Statendam was a brand new ship would stop paying those prices.

But, I'm sure most of here know this.... :D

<snip>

. But as far as the perks go, it's more of a "deluxe" Verandah than a Suite, IMHO. And being first time HAL cruisers, we won't be welcome at the Mariner's Embarkation Luncheon either. So far our first HAL experience doesn't seem very welcoming, but still we are looking forward to the cruise. It's just one lunch, and we will make sure to eat before we board. We would rather avoid the buffet, we prefer sit down restaurants. I hope HAL's loyal pax are right, and it will be a good cruise. Happy cruising all.

Lorie

The Mariner Embarkation Lunch is for Mariners. HAL Mariners are those who have sailed with HAL previously and is not connected with being in a suite or not. Most cruise lines have benefits for their repeaters and that Embarkation Lunch is one that HAL offers. Your next HAL cruise you can go. :)

I don't know if you are aware that if you have sailed any of the Carnival Family of Ships, (Costa, Cunard, Princess, Seabourn, HAL or Carnival) in the past, you are considered a repeater and can go to the lunch.

Edited by sail7seas

I've been in a suite on HAL and NCL (in the Haven).

On NCL were in a 2 bedroom family suite and loved having the separate bedrooms and living area. The Haven pool, hot tubs, and sauna were put to good use. The private restaurant was perfect for avoiding crowds. The butler was even able to bring food from any of the restaurants to our room (which was nice because we were traveling with an infant). It was pricey, but we used their friends and family sail free promotion and ended up paying only slightly more than we would have paid for a Neptune suite on a similar itinerary.

On HAL, the Neptune lounge was nice, but I found very little use for it. The unlimited laundry was a wonderful perk and I used that a few times. Other than that, the benefits felt almost non existent.

To be fair, I was in the Neptune suite 6 years ago and the Haven suite last year. My memory could be fading. Would I book a suite with NCL again, in a heartbeat. Would I book a suite with HAL again, if I needed the space.

Having never been on HAL before or in a Neptune vs having been in JR suites, I've read the standard amenities afforded to Neptune. Am I missing anything? Is there any particular perks that aren't straightforward that will come with having chosen it? We are 1 star mariners, though apparently I should have more but for some reason they are not recognizing other sailings on CC. Does anyone know how I might get that fixed?

When you sail on cruise lines in Carnival Family of Ships you are recognized as a 'Repeater' but the actual cruises are credited only to the repeater club for the cruise line you sailed. You will not have Carnival cruises credited to your HAL Mariners account.... only recognition you are a Mariner.

What is so special or exclusive about a Mariners lunch when in all probability the vast majority of Cruisers on a HAL ship are either repeat HAL customers or previous Carnival Corp customers?

Besides, HAL is providing lunch to all passengers..the only difference seems to be the location. Hardly a cost issue for HAL since everyone will be eating somewhere.

What is so special or exclusive about a Mariners lunch when in all probability the vast majority of Cruisers on a HAL ship are either repeat HAL customers or previous Carnival Corp customers? Not much of a recognition event from my perspective.

Besides, HAL is providing lunch to all passengers..the only difference seems to be the location. Hardly a cost issue for HAL since everyone will be eating somewhere.