Formal nights-2 weeks Eclipse

macaroni

Would like some formal night info in the dining room. How many are there? Are the dinners especially good. Are there items those nights that are special. Was thinking of skipping the dressy clothes and doing specialty dining those nights..not sure if I could persuade my husband to go along with that.

There are 3 formal nights on the 14 day Eclipse cruise. Food is subjective but we found it quite good for the whole cruise. Lobster is only offered on the last formal night. On that evening, I had the beef wellington (excellent), DH had the lamb (also excellent) and then we shared a lobster tail (which was just good since we are accustomed to excellent Atlantic lobster).

Lobster on the ship will be warm water lobster. Nothing special. We have been doing the specialties on all formal nights the last 6 cruises. Seems more special. We still dress up but our dinner is nicer and the room is quieter and more elegant. We started doing that on the last formal night with the napkin waving and parade of baked alaska and all that, which we were "over" after our first cruise in 2001. Then we just decided to make it all formal nights.

Formal nights in Murano or Tuscan Grill with some good wine and good friends ...priceless.

Just off the Eclipse (3/1). Lobster on the third and last "formal" night. The dress code, apparently, is "suggested", as I saw people in the MDR with T shirts and jeans on "regular" nights and some with no jackets or ties on "formal" nights.

• 3 weeks later...

We are first time cruisers and I was looking forward to formal nights. We are dining in Blu where formal wear is not compulsory on formal nights, will we feel a bit overdressed if we dress up? My question is, do people dress formally in the speciality restaurants/Blu on formal nights, even if they don't have to?

We are first time cruisers and I was looking forward to formal nights. We are dining in Blu where formal wear is not compulsory on formal nights, will we feel a bit overdressed if we dress up? My question is, do people dress formally in the speciality restaurants/Blu on formal nights, even if they don't have to?

Every cruise will be different but so far we've found that most people in Blu dress up on formal nights.

My husband still wears a tux .

The dress code is getting to be rather discriminatory. It appears to punish those that dine in the MDR, since it is ok to wear casual clothes if you are willing to pay for it by dining in another restuarant.

You are required to wear formal clothes for the MDR but all other venues are exempt but then in the daily paper it requests or suggests that you stay in your formal clothing for the rest of the evening. Why? Everyone else will be in casual clothing excepts those that dined in the MDR.

happy cruising 🌊🚢🇺🇸🌞

We noticed that the first formal night seemed more formal, and then many people just wore smart dress or smart skirt with sparkly top. Many women just wore smart trousers with sparkly top. As for the men, some wore tuxedo, some wore kilts and some wore smart suit or smart trousers with shirt and tie and smart jacket.

In future I am just going to take smart black trousers with different chiffon evening tops. If you are travelling by air you don't want to carry three formal dresses that weigh a ton. My OH has a very lightweight tuxedo suit from M&S in their sale, he then wears a different bow tie each night and takes a couple of formal shirts. No need for heavy tuxedos and beaded dresses these days.

I found in Blu the people were better dressed daily than in the main dining room and on formal night there were quite a few dressed formally.

As for the main dining room, last year on Eclipse I saw them turn away men for not wearing a jacket and this year everyone was let into the dining room no matter what they wore. On formal night in the dining room there were men without jackets or ties - not many men though, but they were there.

I think they should get rid of formal night and ask for country club casual. They can maybe state nights where formal wear would be requested, but not mandatory and then everyone would be happy.

On a 14 night cruise there usually is 3 formal nights. Celebrity only pay lip service to the idea of formality which is a shame as many do make the effort .Out of the UK most adhere to Celebritys recommendations its just the odd person which spoils it for their fellow dinning guests.

The food on the formal evenings is similar to the remaining MDR menus .On Celebrity quite good, a bit like the Curates Egg.

Since we much prefer Blu to the MDR we now always book Aqua staterooms and actually left the Infinity yesterday after 42 nights on board. While formal wear is not compulsory in Blu on formal nights there certainly will be a number of folks dressed up. In Blu those who decide not to dress more formally on formal nights will not feel underdressed, but also those who do decide to dress more formally will also not feel overdressed.

Well I would not pay extra for the specialty dining on formal nights - I think the MDR offerings are very good - I'm a lamb fan. On our last cruise there was also a scallop appetizer offered on the last formal night and it was great - I'm going to ask for two of those on our next cruise :). I also thought the lobster was better than usual on our Oct. sail but I'm not all that knowledgeable on the different varieties.

I just wear nice black pants and a sparkly top - husband wears sport coat with tie.

We´ve been on the Eclipse in January and did the restaurant package. Actually I think people in the specialty restaurants were dressed up even more although it wasn´t formal night when we´ve been there (we´ve been in the MDR for all three formal nights).

steamboats

Captain usually on Summit is Dimitrios Kafetzis. His bother is on Equinox if I remember right. We had dinner with him second night and he spoke to us by name next to last night. I know that they have pictures of all of the Suite passengers, but did not expect him to remember names. Great stories during the dinner.