Key West with Young Children

Erica6812

We'll be in Key West off the Carnival Freedom in June with our 2 girls, ages 2.5 and 4.5 (almost 3 and 5 :-) ) I was wondering what some appropriate activities might be to think about doing here? Or would you recommend staying on the ship? DH and I Have been here before, but our travel companions and kids have not. Our parents are also going on the trip and they are 60.

Lordy...kids LIVE there! There are PLENTY of "kid friendly" things! A guidebook is what you need, so you can see ALL of the points of interest! KW is beautiful! Get a guidebook, read up on your ports, and decide WHAT to do...then, we can help you with HOW to do it!

There is no need to stay on the ship!

As far as your parents...they are KIDS! 60? Are you kidding me? I'm assuming you think that's old or something....they are in the PRIME "party" age! Kids are grown...they can do what they want...and probably do! Party on!

We have a 3 year old, there are lots of good choices. We haven't decided yet, but are considering these:

One of the trolley tours

Butterfly conservatory

Ft Zachary Taylor beach

Eco discovery center

Key west aquarium

I'd really like to do this shark tour, young kids are free, but adults are about $80. Not sure I want to spend that much, but it looks awesome:

http://www.kwextremeadventures.com/about-us/

If you can get out to Higgs Beach there is now a great, protected playground with swings and slides and monkey bars. There's the big White Street pier to walk out on, and the botanical garden ---> http://keywestgardenclub.com/

And for lunch Salut on the Beach ---> http://saluteonthebeach.com/

it would probably be worth a cab ride out and back to spend a day out here. And you wouldn't have to put up with those pesky cruise ship passengers 8-)

Pjk

Edited by peter_krynicki

The biggest problem can be the shops that sell T-shirts which have words and occasionally pictures that are inappropriate for children to see. Otherwise there are several tings on Duval that I think would be interesting to children; Montage, the Butterfly Conservatory, the Last Flight Out or Gone Fishin'.

Pjk

The biggest problem can be the shops that sell T-shirts which have words and occasionally pictures that are inappropriate for children to see. Otherwise there are several tings on Duval that I think would be interesting to children; Montage, the Butterfly Conservatory, the Last Flight Out or Gone Fishin'.

Pjk

Yes, I know what you mean by the t-shirts. We will still venture to Duval Street. I think it sounds too great to miss!

Caroline's should work well for lunch with kids. Casual, outdoors, very good food, reasonably priced for KW. Not sure if there's an actual children's menu, but if not, portions are large, so 1 may be enough for 2 to share. It's on Duval, south of Caroline St.

Is there a fun kid-friendly place anyone would suggest to eat at? Not sure about Sloppy Joes...

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Check out Lagerhead's on the tiny beach at the end of Simonton ---> http://lagerheadsbeachbar.com/

The kids can wade in the water and watch the various boats sail by.

Pjk