Fly in Seattle, Train to Vancouver, hotels in both?

SUNNY D

We are taking a cruise out of Vancouver in June and flying to Seattle 4 days prior. Would like to spend 2 days in Seattle, catch the train to Vancouver to spend 2 days and then cruise out. We will not be renting a car so would like to find a hotel centrally located in both cities where we can walk, bike or commute inexpensively to explore. Ideally are there any hotels that offer shuttles from the airport AND to the train station in Seattle? Also a hotel that offers shuttle from train station AND to the cruise port in Vancouver? Thanks for any info!

Both cities are quite pricey so you might want to look at expedia or a similar site to get an idea of the cost. We don't know your budget. Plug in your dates, number of people, and any other requirements.

You might find it much cheaper to stay near Seatac and 'commute'. The Light Rail runs from SeaTac to downtown for only $3pp, 40 minutes.

Budget is under $300 per night, ideally $250 or below would be great but I realize it's not cheap in these cities. I can and have searched for hotels with airport transport but can't search for train or cruise transport which is why I asked for suggestions on a good choice to satisfy both airport, train and cruise transports...if such thing exists. If not, being located where its more convenient to things we want to explore like pike market, space needle, aquarium, shopping, etc would be next priority. Really dont know the areas at all so would appreciate advise from someone with some experience. Thanks!

SeaTac is a 30 minute drive south of downtown Seattle so you won't find hotels that provide a free shuttle to/from the airport. Only airport hotels provide free shuttle service.

If you can easily manage your luggage to walk 8-10 minutes at both ends, the Light Rail runs from SeaTac to downtown for $3pp, 40 minutes. Otherwise Shuttle Express has regularly scheduled service to certain downtown hotels. Yellow Cab is stationed at the airport and charges $40/$45 to go downtown. Or reserve with the flat rate cab company for $30. http://www.flatrateforhire.com

You might find a room for $250 in the Seattle Center area. Look at the Hampton Inn, Holiday inn Express, Maxwell. Hotels in that area are about a 10 minute walk to the Seattle Center,where you can easily catch the monorail to downtown (5minute ride). Another area to check is Lake Union where you can take the Streetcar to downtown ... Silver Cloud provides a free shuttle to downtown destinations.

p.s.A cab to the pier from a downtown hotel will be $10-$15. If you're on NCL you'll use Pier 66 which is downtown. The Marriott and Edgewater are next door.

And many people get great deals on priceline. There's a thread at the top of this page for winning bids.

Edited by mapleleaves
ps

I can see from another post... you are departing on June 8. I hope you have your Vancouver hotels planned. FIFA Womens has blocked many of the downtown hotels at this time for June competitions.

I recommend looking at the nearby airport hotels if you find downtown hotels expensive.

I recommend at least 1 day buffer for travel into the cruise terminal. Vancouver has lots to offer if you want to spend 4 days there.

Edited by xlxo

Hotel suggestions downtown showing availability 2 to 4 days before a June 8 cruise. Check out the links for prices and reviews.

Airport Transport? Love to explore public transit and subways? My fav hotel in Richmond with 20 minute subway service with a station across the street. Very affordable rooms available now at the Raddison...

http://www.expedia.ca/Vancouver-Hotels-Radisson-Hotel-Vancouver-Airport.h14039.Hotel-Information?chkin=04/06/2015&chkout=08/06/2015&rm1=a2

Edited by xlxo

There's never enough time for all the things you can do in Vancouver... It's bigger than all the Alaskan ports....

[YOUTUBE]txO8VK4LaLQ[/YOUTUBE] [YOUTUBE]ZLL6du--lQA[/YOUTUBE] [YOUTUBE]vIvtsz1b60Q[/YOUTUBE] [YOUTUBE]dfMMAiZJFlw[/YOUTUBE]

BTW.... you can also Orca whale watch your way between Vancouver Seattle with possibly a pitstop in Butchart Gardens (with your luggage)

http://princeofwhales.com/seattle-tour/seattle-whales-vancouver/

SeaTac is a 30 minute drive south of downtown Seattle so you won't find hotels that provide a free shuttle to/from the airport. Only airport hotels provide free shuttle service.

If you can easily manage your luggage to walk 8-10 minutes at both ends, the Light Rail runs from SeaTac to downtown for $3pp, 40 minutes. Otherwise Shuttle Express has regularly scheduled service to certain downtown hotels. Yellow Cab is stationed at the airport and charges $40/$45 to go downtown. Or reserve with the flat rate cab company for $30. http://www.flatrateforhire.com

You might find a room for $250 in the Seattle Center area. Look at the Hampton Inn, Holiday inn Express, Maxwell. Hotels in that area are about a 10 minute walk to the Seattle Center,where you can easily catch the monorail to downtown (5minute ride). Another area to check is Lake Union where you can take the Streetcar to downtown ... Silver Cloud provides a free shuttle to downtown destinations.

p.s.A cab to the pier from a downtown hotel will be $10-$15. If you're on NCL you'll use Pier 66 which is downtown. The Marriott and Edgewater are next door.

And many people get great deals on priceline. There's a thread at the top of this page for winning bids.

Thanks for the tips. I reserved Courtyard Seattle Downtown Pioneer Square, King bed Bay View $229. Seemed like a decent price, close to things we want to see and it says its a block from the light rail which we can take from the airport. Its also 5 blocks or $10 taxi fair to the train station for when we leave for Vancouver. Vancouver is where we are cruising from so need to find a hotel there next that is convenient to the train station and port...suggestions there?

Hotel suggestions downtown showing availability 2 to 4 days before a June 8 cruise. Check out the links for prices and reviews.

Airport Transport? Love to explore public transit and subways? My fav hotel in Richmond with 20 minute subway service with a station across the street. Very affordable rooms available now at the Raddison...

http://www.expedia.ca/Vancouver-Hotels-Radisson-Hotel-Vancouver-Airport.h14039.Hotel-Information?chkin=04/06/2015&chkout=08/06/2015&rm1=a2

Thanks! I just posted looking for suggestions in Vancouver :) Will check out your links and see what we can find. Husband really wants to spend some time in Seattle so we are splitting 2 days there and 2 days in Vancouver prior to the cruise. We are also staying a few days post cruise in Seward and Anchorage so just cant squeeze anymore time this go round. I know some things we would like to see in Seattle but honestly dont know anything about Vancouver. What are the popular tourist things to see/do there in the couple days we have? Thanks for all your info!

A cab from a downtown Vancouver hotel will cost $10-$15 between the pier or train station.

Reasonably priced hotels ... Blue Horizon and Best Western on Drake.

I used SEARCH THIS FORUM with the word Vancouver and found this informative thread. Reply #19 has a comprehensive hotel list from putterdude.

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=2088017&highlight=vancouver

For things to do, you didn't indicate your interests of physical ability so its hard to make specific suggestions. I LOVE Stanley Park ... walk or ride bikes along the seawall to see totems, gardens, beaches, views. Then go to Granville Island to explore the markets.

Again, great info in a previous thread. See reply #5 from BCHappyGal

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=1238430

I would also encourage you to look thr the trip reports and photojournals posted in STICKY near the top of the Alaska forum. Lots of useful info for pre and post cruise, as well as the cruise ports. Such as this photojournal from AryMay who spent time in Seattle and Vancouver then cruised. http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=2055691

Edited by mapleleaves
report link

Any thoughts on the Granville Island Hotel? How much would taxi be from amtrak station, to the cruise port, popular downtown areas? It has good reviews and looks like a nice location but not sure in terms of commuting to and from areas mentioned. By the time we factor in taxi fares commuting, maybe we are better off staying closer to downtown??

...Its also 5 blocks or $10 taxi fair to the train station for when we leave for Vancouver...

Now, next to discuss is which train are you taking? The morning or evening train to Vancouver? If it is the morning train (7:45 am), I will advise you that unless you have Business Class seats reserved (the way to go, actually), you need to be prepared to arrive at the King Street train station in Seattle for at least 5:45 am - preferred earlier. We have done this trip and I was shocked at how many people were in line to check in and choose their seats. Business Class has a separate check in, like on airlines, PLUS you also disembark the train first when you arrive in Vancouver to go through Customs. It costs more but I recommend it.

Just wanted to drop that little nugget into your lap. :) Carry on. :)

Now, next to discuss is which train are you taking? The morning or evening train to Vancouver? If it is the morning train (7:45 am), I will advise you that unless you have Business Class seats reserved (the way to go, actually), you need to be prepared to arrive at the King Street train station in Seattle for at least 5:45 am - preferred earlier. We have done this trip and I was shocked at how many people were in line to check in and choose their seats. Business Class has a separate check in, like on airlines, PLUS you also disembark the train first when you arrive in Vancouver to go through Customs. It costs more but I recommend it.

Just wanted to drop that little nugget into your lap. :) Carry on. :)

Funny you mentioned that...I reserved the train today as well. We decided the early train but I did remember reading to buy the business class tickets and did just that. What time would we need to arrive given that we did purchase the business class tickets? Also, I sure am hoping I have chosen the correct stations as it listed 2 in Seattle and Vancouver....which ones should I have chosen?

I also reserved a Superior King Room at Blue Horizon in Vancouver when we arrive by train on 6/6 till 6/8 when we will board the cruise ship. I read they had the hop on hop off available right outside the hotel if we wanna explore. I guess taxi is best from the train to the hotel and to the cruise ship on check in check out day. I was getting burned out on all the choices and not really knowing the area so just went with one! Hopefully it will work out.

We decided the early train but I did remember reading to buy the business class tickets and did just that. What time would we need to arrive given that we did purchase the business class tickets? Also, I sure am hoping I have chosen the correct stations as it listed 2 in Seattle and Vancouver....which ones should I have chosen?

Applause applause! Yea. You are looking at embarking at King Street Station in Seattle, and the end of the line is Pacific Central Station, Vancouver. Business Class passengers get to disembark first, claim their luggage, and then proceed to Canadian Customs inside the station. It's quite a slick little system.

We probably arrived at King Street Station just before 6 am; we had no idea what to expect so we just wanted to get there. Thing is, almost all of the Business Class seats were already taken and we couldn't sit together. :( You choose your seats at the station and we wound up sitting across from each other. Oh well.

I also reserved a Superior King Room at Blue Horizon in Vancouver when we arrive by train on 6/6 till 6/8 when we will board the cruise ship...

More applause! We have stayed there twice as locals on our anniversary weekend. It is fabulous - you will love being so centrally located, and there is lots to do within walking distance - lots of coffee houses. We like that here. We like our coffee. I think you'll notice that trend when you get to both Seattle and Vancouver. :p

Gosh, this is working out just great. :D

Funny you mentioned that...I reserved the train today as well. We decided the early train but I did remember reading to buy the business class tickets and did just that. What time would we need to arrive given that we did purchase the business class tickets? Also, I sure am hoping I have chosen the correct stations as it listed 2 in Seattle and Vancouver....which ones should I have chosen?

I also reserved a Superior King Room at Blue Horizon in Vancouver when we arrive by train on 6/6 till 6/8 when we will board the cruise ship. I read they had the hop on hop off available right outside the hotel if we wanna explore. I guess taxi is best from the train to the hotel and to the cruise ship on check in check out day. I was getting burned out on all the choices and not really knowing the area so just went with one! Hopefully it will work out.

You want Amtrak station codes SEA and VAC. Remember there are TWO Vancouvers on the Cascades routes, Vancouver, BC (VAC) AND Vancouver, WA (VAN), and the morning trains to each leave within 15 minutes of each other.

Check your Amtrak boarding pass PDF, the station codes will be prominent on the upper left side.

CORRECT: SEA-VAC Train 510

WRONG: SEA-VAN Train 501

Don't worry about the "other" Seattle "station" SVF. That is the Victoria Clipper pier and exists only so Amtrak can sell tickets on the Victoria Clipper. If you got a ticket at all, it wouldn't be "SVF" because routing to either of the Vancouvers from that station code is not a valid route and the reservation system can't do it. Do make sure you are going to the right Vancouver, though.

Edited by zephyr17

Great. Thanks so much. I feel good about the hotel choice now and I do have the correct stations. Yay :)

Just to clarify though....for the 7:45 Amtrac departure...when should we get there? You mentioned you got there at 6am and seating wasnt good for business class? My husband and I certainly want to sit together. Also, this may be an odd question..but do all the seats face the same direction or do some face one way and some the other? I have this strange motion thing that has caused me to get sick when facing backwards (as in the opposite direction the train is going). Horrible memories on a certain subway in DC when I sat in the wrong seat :( Just got me thinking that if they assign seats, I'd like to avoid this! Anyway, if ya'll could let me know what time we should arrive to the train station to get seats together and the seat info if you know or remember that would be awesome. Next up will be hotel in Seward and Anchorage and reserving the train there! Guess I'll need to venture over to Alaska board to start on that. Thanks everyone

The train departs at 7:45. If you don't mind getting up early, you could plan for 5:30 arrival at train station. I think we were checking out of our hotel and had called a cab at 5:20 or so. This was last year in May, so your June trip is not far off from what we would have experienced.

The seats face both ways.

Just to clarify though....for the 7:45 Amtrac departure...when should we get there? You mentioned you got there at 6am and seating wasnt good for business class? My husband and I certainly want to sit together. Also, this may be an odd question..but do all the seats face the same direction or do some face one way and some the other? I have this strange motion thing that has caused me to get sick when facing backwards (as in the opposite direction the train is going). Horrible memories on a certain subway in DC when I sat in the wrong seat :( Just got me thinking that if they assign seats, I'd like to avoid this! Anyway, if ya'll could let me know what time we should arrive to the train station to get seats together and the seat info if you know or remember that would be awesome.
A little tip... look for Amtrak seats with a table. I was on a tour, so all our economy seats were prearranged for us. We lucked out with seats with a table. The table gave us extra comfortable legroom and space for a laptop/tablet/camera. If there is more than two of you... table seating means you can face one another.

Any thoughts on the Granville Island Hotel? How much would taxi be from amtrak station, to the cruise port, popular downtown areas? It has good reviews and looks like a nice location but not sure in terms of commuting to and from areas mentioned. By the time we factor in taxi fares commuting, maybe we are better off staying closer to downtown??
I'm not a fan of that hotel location. While convenient to the market and ferries....

• Mid day summer traffic means high congestion with countless tourists looking for parking.
  • Public transit is a significant walk to and the frequency is poor.
  • because of the congestion... expect to pay extra when using the taxi.
  • the ferries are not cheap if you are using them several times during your stay.

I know some things we would like to see in Seattle but honestly dont know anything about Vancouver. What are the popular tourist things to see/do there in the couple days we have? Thanks for all your info!
The videos I posted earlier should provide some ideas on what tourist do. Here's some Top 10 ideas...

http://www.tourismvancouver.com/do/activities-attractions/attractions/10-vancouver-must-see-attractions/

Possible itinery...

Day 1

• Grouse Mountain (use the free shuttle at cruise terminal)
  • Capilano Suspension Bridge

Day 2

• Hop on service?
  • Stanley Park?
  • Vandusen Gardens?
  • Fly Over Canada?

Other day trip ideas...

• Whistler?
  • Victoria?

I'm not a fan of that hotel location. While convenient to the market and ferries....

• Mid day summer traffic means high congestion with countless tourists looking for parking.
  • Public transit is a significant walk to and the frequency is poor.
  • because of the congestion... expect to pay extra when using the taxi.
  • the ferries are not cheap if you are using them several times during your stay.

Thanks for the info. We booked Blue Horizon Hotel which people here seem to have good things to say about so we should be good :) I plan to taxi from the train to hotel and then to the cruise ship as most say its about $10 for either. Do taxis charge total trip or per person? I wanna make sure I have enough canadian cash on me for taxis fares. Thanks

The videos I posted earlier should provide some ideas on what tourist do. Here's some Top 10 ideas...

http://www.tourismvancouver.com/do/activities-attractions/attractions/10-vancouver-must-see-attractions/

Possible itinery...

Day 1

• Grouse Mountain (use the free shuttle at cruise terminal)
  • Capilano Suspension Bridge

Day 2

• Hop on service?
  • Stanley Park?
  • Vandusen Gardens?
  • Fly Over Canada?

Other day trip ideas...

• Whistler?
  • Victoria?

Trying to fill our time in Vancouver is a concern. I think definitely Capilano Bridge, Stanley Park and some light shopping. Not sure about Grouse Mtn though. Looks alot like our ski resorts here with limited summer activities. I dont know about the Gardens or Fly Over Canada so will look into those. If ship leaves Monday at 4pm, when should we expect to be able to board? We will have 1/2 day Saturday when we arrive by train, all day Sunday and whatever time left on Monday before boarding the ship to fill with things to do in Vancouver. Thanks for your ideas

The train departs at 7:45. If you don't mind getting up early, you could plan for 5:30 arrival at train station. I think we were checking out of our hotel and had called a cab at 5:20 or so. This was last year in May, so your June trip is not far off from what we would have experienced.

The seats face both ways.

Wow, glad I asked. I would have never thought we would need to be at the train by 5:30 for a 7:45 departure! Yikes. We are so not morning people. lol Also thanks for the seat info. Greatly appreciate it!

Do taxis charge total trip or per person? I wanna make sure I have enough canadian cash on me for taxis fares. Thanks
Taxi's are TOTAL trip. Public transit and buses are per person. Personally I would use credit cards for anything over $5. It does not take much to see $5 in a cab.

You can use taxi fare estimator apps and websites to estimate fare costs.

Edited by xlxo