Fly in Seattle, Train to Vancouver, hotels in both?

SUNNY D

Instead of getting up at 4am and being tired all day, why not take the train the night before? I think it leaves around 7pm ... that still gives you most of the day to sightsee in Seattle, gives you daylight for the ride, and you'll arrive rested and ready for a new day of sightseeing in Vancouver.

Trying to fill our time in Vancouver is a concern. I think definitely Capilano Bridge, Stanley Park and some light shopping. Not sure about Grouse Mtn though. Looks alot like our ski resorts here with limited summer activities.
Grouse has greatly adapted to the changing season. The secret is to plan your visit and looking at the show schedule when it's closer to the summer on the website. Some make the mistake of riding the gondola up and then come down immediately and results in poor value. https://grousemountain.com/posts/tags/summer

• Lumberjack show
  • Birds in Motion
  • Grizzly habitat
  • ziplining
  • hiking
  • Eye of the Wind for the tallest observatory point in Vancouver
  • check out the Observatory menu.... if you plan to dine at the restaurant.... your gondola fees are waved with a reservation.

You should budget 3 to 5 hours for going to Grouse.

• To save time on the return Grouse Mountain shuttle. Ask the driver to be dropped off at Capilano Suspension Bridge. It's just 5 minutes from Grouse and passes the suspension bridge. I like to have about 2 hours at the Suspension Bridge.
  • To save time on the return Capilano Shuttle, you can request the driver to be dropped off in front of Stanley park where you can walk into the Aquarium and or Railway. I like to have 2 hours at the Aquarium and 20 minutes on the railway. Both attractions close around 5pm (I think).

If ship leaves Monday at 4pm, when should we expect to be able to board? We will have 1/2 day Saturday when we arrive by train, all day Sunday and whatever time left on Monday before boarding the ship to fill with things to do in Vancouver. Thanks for your ideas
What's your ship PAT or boarding time? I prefer an earlier boarding time to enjoy the welcome lunch that typically ends at 2pm (that I paid for). I think the latest one can board is 2pm as you need to aboard for ship evac procedures. Edited by xlxo

Instead of getting up at 4am and being tired all day, why not take the train the night before? I think it leaves around 7pm ... that still gives you most of the day to sightsee in Seattle, gives you daylight for the ride, and you'll arrive rested and ready for a new day of sightseeing in Vancouver.

Well we had contemplated the night train but it was a choice of getting a whole day in Seattle and geting up early for the train which would arrive around lunch in Vancouver versus not getting in until almost 11pm and having to taxi and check in to a hotel very late. I think we prefer arriving at a reasonable hour in a city we have never traveled before, which unfortunately means early train. We also dont really require more time in Vancouver with 2 half days and 1 full day to explore vs only evening and one day in Seattle. Im actually considering flying into Seattle a day earlier so we can get an extra day there. I havent booked airfare yet so I still have some flexibilty.

Grouse has greatly adapted to the changing season. The secret is to plan your visit and looking at the show schedule when it's closer to the summer on the website. Some make the mistake of riding the gondola up and then come down immediately and results in poor value. https://grousemountain.com/posts/tags/summer

• Lumberjack show
  • Birds in Motion
  • Grizzly habitat
  • ziplining
  • hiking
  • Eye of the Wind for the tallest observatory point in Vancouver
  • check out the Observatory menu.... if you plan to dine at the restaurant.... your gondola fees are waved with a reservation.

You should budget 3 to 5 hours for going to Grouse.

• To save time on the return Grouse Mountain shuttle. Ask the driver to be dropped off at Capilano Suspension Bridge. It's just 5 minutes from Grouse and passes the suspension bridge. I like to have about 2 hours at the Suspension Bridge.
  • To save time on the return Capilano Shuttle, you can request the driver to be dropped off in front of Stanley park where you can walk into the Aquarium and or Railway. I like to have 2 hours at the Aquarium and 20 minutes on the railway. Both attractions close around 5pm (I think).

What's your ship PAT or boarding time? I prefer an earlier boarding time to enjoy the welcome lunch that typically ends at 2pm (that I paid for). I think the latest one can board is 2pm as you need to aboard for ship evac procedures.

Thanks for the taxi and Grouse Mtn info. The Eye of the Wind looks like something we would enjoy. :)

Im actually considering flying into Seattle a day earlier so we can get an extra day there. I havent booked airfare yet so I still have some flexibilty.
Hmm....

• check out the price to fly on Tuesday and Wednesday to see if there are savings. You might find enough for extra nights at a budget hotel in Vancouver and Seattle.
  • If you are round tripping from Seattle.... in addition to the train, there's the $50 shuttle that gets you from Seattle to Vancouver 5 to 6 times a day. You can also whale watch your way from Seattle to Vancouver via Victoria with those extra days. http://princeofwhales.com/seattle-tours/

Edited by xlxo

If ship leaves Monday at 4pm, when should we expect to be able to board?

My opinion is that Day 1 of a cruise is a day I've paid for, and so I want to be onboard as soon as possible. :) I have not cruised NCL but with other lines, we have arrived at the pier at around 10:30 am and started the check-in process.

We will have 1/2 day Saturday when we arrive by train, all day Sunday and whatever time left on Monday before boarding the ship to fill with things to do in Vancouver. Thanks for your ideas
Once off the train and your luggage is in hotel storage at 1pm.... It's time for your sightseeing marathon to maximize your Saturday. You have sunlight until 9:30pm in the summer. Don't waste it.

• check the closing time of attractions. My fav time for some attractions is late afternoon when the crowds are lighter (Capilano & Vandusen). Do pay attention to attraction show times. Those attractions are better to go earlier in the day or afternoon (Grouse & Aquarium)
  • most restaurants last call is around 8:30pm before 9:30 closures. However there are late night eateries that's worth going to when others are closed (La Casa Gelato).
  • Don't make plans to go to bed early on your only full day (Sunday). Sleep in on Monday... you have time to pack and be on the boat.

Hmm....

• check out the price to fly on Tuesday and Wednesday to see if there are savings. You might find enough for extra nights at a budget hotel in Vancouver and Seattle.
  • If you are round tripping from Seattle.... in addition to the train, there's the $50 shuttle that gets you from Seattle to Vancouver 5 to 6 times a day. You can also whale watch your way from Seattle to Vancouver via Victoria with those extra days. http://princeofwhales.com/seattle-tours/

Thanks for the tip. Flying in on Wednesday saves us $100. We can put that towards another night in seattle. The savings wouldn't cover the extra night in tne hotel but might be worth not feeling rushed in Seattle so am definitely considering flying in a day earlier now.

Oh and we arent doing a roundtrip cruise. Leaving from Vancouver northbound ending in Seward where we will stay a couple days post cruise as well :)

Edited by SUNNY D

Once off the train and your luggage is in hotel storage at 1pm.... It's time for your sightseeing marathon to maximize your Saturday. You have sunlight until 9:30pm in the summer. Don't waste it.

• check the closing time of attractions. My fav time for some attractions is late afternoon when the crowds are lighter (Capilano & Vandusen). Do pay attention to attraction show times. Those attractions are better to go earlier in the day or afternoon (Grouse & Aquarium)
  • most restaurants last call is around 8:30pm before 9:30 closures. However there are late night eateries that's worth going to when others are closed (La Casa Gelato).
  • Don't make plans to go to bed early on your only full day (Sunday). Sleep in on Monday... you have time to pack and be on the boat.

I think this sounds like a very good plan and what we will plan to do. Thanks so much!

Well after discussing with hubby we decided flying in a day early sounds best so 6/3-6/6 in Seattle. Went to modify my reservation at the Courtyard Marriott to add the extra day and thats not happening! :( They are jacking our rate up $100 for each night that I already reserved if I add the extra day. Ok, so thought well I will just do a separate reservation for the extra day and bite the bullet with the higher rate while keeping the rate for my original reservation. Nope, cant reserve just one night. I called customer service hoping they would make an exception since I am actually staying 2 nights already but no luck. So, back to square one finding a hotel in Seattle with easy commute from airport and to train depot yet close to things we want to see. My fault for changing the plan I suppose :/ Off to research again!

If someone did that to me.... I would stay at a second nearby hotel for that extra night.... their loss. Too bad you couldn't shuffle those dates earlier and spend that extra day in Vancouver where they would welcome you.

Edited by xlxo

If someone did that to me.... I would stay at a second nearby hotel for that extra night.... their loss. Too bad you couldn't shuffle those dates earlier and spend that extra day in Vancouver where they would welcome you.

No kidding. I just made the reservation 2 days ago! I'm on the hunt for another hotel to move my entire stay to. I'm not feeling like this one deserves my business anymore. Considering Motif Seattle, Hyatt at Olive 8, The Maxwell or The Westin. I liked the Courtyard Seattle originally due to walking distance to the Rail and I booked a bayview room so was hoping to find that somewhere else but its proving difficult.

Re-booked with Motif Seattle. They had a bay view room with king bed available for less than what Courtyard wants to charge me to add the extra night. They are also convenient to the light rail transportation so we can still plan to take it from the airport. :)