Great cruise until disembarkation

RedneckBob

Well, my wife & I just completed a wonderful tin (10) day cruise on the Riviera; our 5th cruise on Oceania. I could seat and tell y'all how great everything was, but what the heck, let's talk about the day we left the ship in Miami; yesterday; Thurs., 03/12/15.

We all received notice the day before instructions on what we were suppose to do when we disembarked the boat, I mean ship. Three easy steps;

(1) Evaluate, I mean evacuate, I mean leave your cabin by 8 AM.

(2) Remain in a public area such as lounge, bar (so we can have a few before we hit the road) or showroom until you color & number are called

(3) Do not congregate at or near the gangway on Deck 6 or it will delay disembarkation

Very simple and easy to follow; so I thought. We procceded to the nearest bar at 7:30 AM; Martini's next to the "Upper Hall" which I call a roundabout next to the gangway. To my surprise there were 15-20 people in line ready to get off the ship at or near the gangway. Well, this violated step (3) above.

At 7:40 AM the Cruise Director made an annoucement to remain in the public areas and not stand near or around the gangyway. Now there were 30-40 people at the roundabout. Nobody moved. I guess they were all deaf.

At 7:50 AM the CD made a 2nd annoucement, same as the first. Now there were 40-50 people packed like sardines in the roundabout. No one moved again. It looked like "Black Friday" at one of those stores getting ready to open with all those sales, except I don't think there was a sale in the Terminal ashore !

Then at 7:55 AM the people in the roundabout began disembarking the ship and two minutes later the CD makes an annoucement to remain in your public area until I tell you which color and number will be called to leave the ship. Well all these folks must have had ESPn. Then the CD annouces Black 1, Grey 1 and Red 1 & 2 can disembark. Well we were RED 2, got in line and did not see any of the colored tags called in the roundabout. I guess Oceania wanted to get us off the ship like a herd of cattle in a stampede as quickly as possible.

Well we made it into the terminal, got our bags and headed to the Customs Agent. I was worried that we would be stopped and searched for not reporting the purchase of a $10 T-shirt in St Lucia; I had no receipt and paid cash. Then I got really worried when I saw the last name of the Customs Officer's name on his shirt; 12 letters with six vowels. I told him it would be a good word on Wheel of Fortune; he cracked up and toward us to go.

Then came the Yellow Cab to take us downtown Miami; exactly 1.3 miles to the hotel. I told the driver where I was going and proceed to Biscayne Blvd. Well apparently he wamted to give us a Grand Tour of greater downtown Miami by proceeding to the port tunnel, west along I-395, south on I-95 and then downtown; an approximately $25 cab ride versus $10 direct to the hotel. When I told him to turn around while still in the port, he said, "you know the area. don't you". Well, DUH !

The bottom line is that it was a GREAT CRUISE, we made it home safely and look forward to another great cruise.

I'm RedneckBOB and I see it like I tell it, I mean tell it like I see it.

Thank you for sharing that Bob It is very amusing to read now, but so annoying when it is happening.

The crowd gathered on Deck 6 just the same on our last cruise, but we were not in a hurry so had a leisurely breakfast in the GDR and we let the hoards get on with it near the gangway. We strolled off around 9.30am.

Naughty taxi driver. Those who don't "know the area" like us, would have no idea we were being ripped off.

RedneckBob - absolutely the same on all our O cruises, and I'm sure other lines are exactly the same! And of course there are always those who truly believe that rules never apply to them! It must drive the crew nuts because not only do they block the roundabout, they block the hallway for anyone trying to use the elevators around the corner!

That's the one thing about cruising that I hate, that last early morning disembarkation! But we do as Jay23 says, leisurely breakfast in the GDR and last off - then all those who want to queue round the roundabout can do so to their hearts content!

It made me laugh though, as it reminded me of going to our local Marks and Spencer to collect our Christmas food order - the store opened at 0800 and my order was to be collected between 0800 and 0900, so I arrived at their car park just before 8. Well already there was a queue around the corner of about 50 or so people! So I just sat in my car, in the warm, and waited till they all shoved their way in!

As for the taxis, I imagine they all rub their hands in glee when they hear a British accent - we always make sure we say "last time we were here, it was so quick to get to hotel/airport etc." to the driver! Even if you haven't been somewhere before, just say this anyway. Works in Europe too! But we usually do,pre-book, fixed price car and then that solves that issue.

Miami disembarkation is a nightmare! I don't think we would ever choose a cruise that ended in Miami again and that's before we even talk about miami airport!

Anyway, apart from all of this - how was the cruise??? ;):p:D. Oops just read "GREAT cruise"!

Edited by fairbourne

I enjoyed reading this. We're about to take our first cruise so at least now I know what to expect when we disembark. It sounds a little like what happens when you board a plane - but with a lot more people!

I agree You would think people would know how to read & comprehend by this age :rolleyes:

It seems to happen on all our cruises

I would like to see those not with the coloured tags called to be set aside ..maybe they would follow directions next time :D

I would like to see those not with the coloured tags called to be set aside ..maybe they would follow directions next time :D

I doubt that very much.

Some people are what they are - something about old dogs and new tricks....:D

Rules only apply to others - they themselves are exempt from any rules.

I doubt that very much.

Some people are what they are - something about old dogs and new tricks....:D

Rules only apply to others - they themselves are exempt from any rules.

Wishful thinking on my part :D

If we are driving from the port or staying over we just get a late time slot

Must be human nature for some. Look at all the people that show up at the terminal hours before their stated time wanting to embark early. Probably the same group trying to then get off the ship first.

In Sydney we all had to be off the ship by 9:00. We left easily, to join a tour in Waiheke at 8:00. I heard later things did get hectic around 8:30.

Very funny :D.

Several years ago at Port Everglades a taxi picked us up at a cruise terminal to take us to Ft Lauderdale Airport. I noticed the taxis in front of us were all going the wrong way and told our driver to proceed on a different route to the airport. He refused and followed all the other taxis to the airport. When we arrived at the airport I wrote down his name & cab number. When I got home I contacted the Port Authority and the Cab Company to tell them what had happened to me; that all the taxis were going the longer route to increase their fares 20-30%.

The result of my calling about this issue was :

1. An letter of apology from the taxi driver

2. A refund of the entire fare

3. An investigation by the Port Authority to correct the problem

I agree You would think people would know how to read & comprehend by this age :rolleyes:

It seems to happen on all our cruises

On our last arrival in Miami in Feb 2015, we were issued an extra luggage tag with instructions that it be put on our carry-on and shown at the gangway when our number/color was called. They were policing the disembarkation and only letting those off with the correct tag.

This was the first time we saw this and it may be unique to Miami due to Homeland Security regulations.

In addition the CD announced several times that people had to keep away from the gangway or Homeland Security would shut the process down. Finally we saw several ship's personnel force the people back.

Obviously things may be different in other ports but in Miami it appeared Homeland Security was in charge.

On our last arrival in Miami in Feb 2015, we were issued an extra luggage tag with instructions that it be put on our carry-on and shown at the gangway when our number/color was called. They were policing the disembarkation and only letting those off with the correct tag.

This was the first time we saw this and it may be unique to Miami due to Homeland Security regulations.

In addition the CD announced several times that people had to keep away from the gangway or Homeland Security would shut the process down. Finally we saw several ship's personnel force the people back.

Obviously things may be different in other ports but in Miami it appeared Homeland Security was in charge.

Not according to Redneckbob on his cruise on the Riviera on 03/12/15???. I think he meant 03/05/15.

In Sydney we all had to be off the ship by 9:00. We left easily, to join a tour in Waiheke at 8:00. I heard later things did get hectic around 8:30.

Amazing! Waiheke (Island) is located off the coast of Auckland - approx. 2,000 km away from Sydney

:)

A step in the right direction finally

OP, sorry you had that experience.

I did my first Oceania cruise in January (Miami-Miami) and found the disembarkation to be the best I've ever had (my comparisons are with prior cruises on HAL, RCL, Carnival, and Cunard).

We chose to wait outside on the deck just above the pool and were practically alone there. When our tag color/number was called we were amazed that we immediately got an elevator (empty!) and got off the ship without any problem. We did notice that the lounges were overflowing with people and it looked uncomfortable. But we had no problem with people blocking the way.

Next cruise we will definitely do the same. Avoid the lounges and just hang out on the deck.

Maybe we have been lucky but the only time we had a long line waiting to leave was in Rio, when we were docked quite a distance from the terminal, and so vans had to be loaded ... with 8-10 passengers in a van, and all their hand luggage, it took quite a while.

Here's a hint: that day at least, the crew gangway on Deck 4 (I think it's 4, we were on Marina) was free of traffic! Two members in our tour went down there and were immediately off the ship. It did occur to me that going down there could be a plan, but I didn't act on the thought. My bad.

Usually we don't leave the ship until around 9 am which may explain why we haven't seen the long lines ... or maybe we were just lucky with our cruises.

Mura