Progressive cruise check-in?

Loggerhead

We got e-mail about this type of check-in. Anyone board the Regal recently in Fort Lauderdale that can tell me if this is enforced? We are scheduled to board at 2:00. Thanks for any help regarding progressive check-in!

We were on the Regal 2 weeks ago. We arrived at the port at around 11:15a. Kudos to Princess as things were very well organized and orderly. We were on the ship within an hour. Have a great time!!

We got e-mail about this type of check-in. Anyone board the Regal recently in Fort Lauderdale that can tell me if this is enforced? We are scheduled to board at 2:00. Thanks for any help regarding progressive check-in!

We boarded the Royal at Port Everglades Terminal 2 in January - which the Regal also uses. We also got the progressive boarding email but ours indicated that priority boarding was exempt. By my count you should be Elite and can board anytime within the total boarding window. Also, there was no indication that anyone in the port ever heard of progressive boarding much less enforced it.

Port Everglades has a security checkpoint (ID and Cruise Documents required) at the entrance of the port property which will add a 15-30 minute delay if arriving by private car or taxi - something less if arriving by Princess transfer.

Upon arrival at terminal 2 - target for 1130 - you will be invited to get in line for security on a converted loading dock. Keep to the right as that is the priority line. There is signage but it is pretty bad and the so-called Princess line monitors do not really know what they are doing. The lines look the same but the regular line snakes around inside the terminal where the Priority line does not. Next is the Ebola scare checkpoint - hint: the answer to all the questions is "no." Proceed upstairs and look for the check-in counter corresponding to your status - Platinum, Elite or Suites. This is important since your ship's card will be at that check-in counter - again do not rely on the port line monitors.

With your ship's card in hand proceed to the seating area. Be sure you set in the Elite area - just to the right after you enter the seating area - and you will board first - likely shortly after noon. Eat lunch at the International Cafe on deck 5 - few people will know it is there and you can relax until your stateroom is ready - generally about 1:00 PM.

Have fun, the Regal and Royal are great ships and Princess Shipboard services are outstanding.

We also got the progressive boarding email but ours indicated that priority boarding was exempt. By my count you should be Elite and can board anytime within the total boarding window.

Our notice said "Priority check-in will be available to guests with a Preferred Boarding Pass within the allocated check-in times after dropping off luggage and clearing security. But of course, nobody cared.

Eat lunch at the International Cafe on deck 5 - few people will know it is there and you can relax until your stateroom is ready - generally about 1:00 PM. Almost all of the time your stateroom will be ready when boarding starts. Even if it is not fully ready, you can drop off your carry-on luggage there as soon as you board.

see above in red

see above in red

That was the email notice language - the actual boading pass showed a 12:30 to 3:00PM check-in window. I would still interpret "within the allocated check-in times" to mean anytime in the check-in process - otherwise the priority boarding would be meaningless. That noted, this debate is meaningless since the port does not enforce progressive check-in.

Stateroom ready times vary based upon a number of factors and I have seen them run as late as 3:00PM. Yes Princess will allow you to go to your stateroom and drop baggage but that is not my recommendation. Let the stewards do their job while I enjoy lunch - especially considering the International Cafe is close to the boarding point.

Edited by dwgreenlee

Port Everglades has a security checkpoint (ID and Cruise Documents required) at the entrance of the port property which will add a 15-30 minute delay if arriving by private car or taxi - something less if arriving by Princess transfer.

In all our cruises out of Port Everglades we only had to show id at the entrance - and I don't recall anyone checking each document, we would hold them up and the taxi/car service would be waved on. I don't know why it would possibly take 15-30 minutes.

In all our cruises out of Port Everglades we only had to show id at the entrance - and I don't recall anyone checking each document, we would hold them up and the taxi/car service would be waved on. I don't know why it would possibly take 15-30 minutes.

Government issued picture id is all that is required.

Otherwise, no one would be able to pick up their friends...

I was a little miffed when the rent-a-cop wouldn't accept

my passport, and demanded to see my driver's license.

As he wan't a sworn law enforcement officer, it was a violation

of the drivers privacy protection act for him to ask.

As cops generally lack a sense of humor, I didn't point this out

to the deputies milling around.

15-30 minutes? I don't think I have ever seen a wait like that;

and if I did, I would bail-out and use an alternative entrance.

The fly-over to 595 is now open in both directions, and while

fast inconvenient for terminal 2.

With your ship's card in hand proceed to the seating area. Be sure you set in the Elite area - just to the right after you enter the seating area - and you will board first - likely shortly after noon.

In my experience, the elite waiting area in terminal 2

is on the second floor, just to the right of the elevator.

It faces the street side of the terminal, rather than the ships.

Edited by pablo222

Check out http://www.porteverglades.net/cruising/. It clearly indicates ID and Cruise docs required. Quote "Have your cruise documents and government-issued photo ID (driver's license or passport) ready when arriving at the Port's security checkpoint." The flashing sign as you approch the gate says the same thing. Traffic is the reason for any delay.

In my experience, the elite waiting area in terminal 2

is on the second floor, just to the right of the elevator.

It faces the street side of the terminal, rather than the ships.

It was on the right facing the ships when we boarded in January.

Government issued picture id is all that is required.

Otherwise, no one would be able to pick up their friends...

I was a little miffed when the rent-a-cop wouldn't accept

my passport, and demanded to see my driver's license.

As he wan't a sworn law enforcement officer, it was a violation

of the drivers privacy protection act for him to ask.

As cops generally lack a sense of humor, I didn't point this out

to the deputies milling around.

15-30 minutes? I don't think I have ever seen a wait like that;

and if I did, I would bail-out and use an alternative entrance.

The fly-over to 595 is now open in both directions, and while

fast inconvenient for terminal 2.

I used a passport card - was not requested to show a drivers license. Check out http://www.porteverglades.net/cruising/. It clearly indicates ID and Cruise docs required. Quote "Have your cruise documents and government-issued photo ID (driver's license or passport) ready when arriving at the Port's security checkpoint." The flashing sign as you approch the gate says the same thing. Traffic is the reason for any delay. Going to another entrance is a little hard due to traffic.

progress.gif

Originally Posted by dwgreenlee viewpost.gif

We also got the progressive boarding email but ours indicated that priority boarding was exempt. By my count you should be Elite and can board anytime within the total boarding window.

Our notice said "Priority check-in will be available to guests with a Preferred Boarding Pass within the allocated check-in times after dropping off luggage and clearing security. But of course, nobody cared.

Eat lunch at the International Cafe on deck 5 - few people will know it is there and you can relax until your stateroom is ready - generally about 1:00 PM. Almost all of the time your stateroom will be ready when boarding starts. Even if it is not fully ready, you can drop off your carry-on luggage there as soon as you board.

see above in red

PROGRESSIVE CRUISE CHECK-IN INFORMATION

Please be advised that Crown Princess will berth at Pier 93 and embarkation will not begin until 1:00 PM. To ensure a smooth start to your voyage, we operate a

progressive embarkation schedule. Guests with a Preferred Boarding Pass may check in at any time from 1:00 PM - 3:00 PM, though we kindly request that you

arrive during your recommended time. If you have booked a Princess Cruise Plus Package or Princess Transfer, your check-in time will be provided at your hotel

or airport. Boarding will commence shortly after check-in. Please do not arrive prior to 1:00 PM, as your cabin will not be ready, and there are not adequate

facilities at the pier to accommodate early-arriving guests. All guests must be onboard by 3:30 PM.

1:00 PM - Dolphin and Emerald Decks: Cabins on these decks begin with D and E 1:45 PM - Caribe and Riviera Decks: Cabins on these decks begin with C and

R 2:15 PM - Aloha and Lido Decks: Cabins on these decks begin with A and L 2:45 PM - Baja and Plaza Decks: Cabins on these decks begin with B and P

I used a passport card - was not requested to show a drivers license. Check out http://www.porteverglades.net/cruising/. It clearly indicates ID and Cruise docs required. Quote "Have your cruise documents and government-issued photo ID (driver's license or passport) ready when arriving at the Port's security checkpoint."

I have entered the port many, many, many times -- I have

a stack of at least 50 mirror hang tags -- meeting someone -- and

used only photo id, with no cruise docs.

I guess if you have cruise docs, show them. But, they are not

required in real life.

I have entered the port many, many, many times -- I have

a stack of at least 50 mirror hang tags -- meeting someone -- and

used only photo id, with no cruise docs.

I guess if you have cruise docs, show them. But, they are not

required in real life.

We entered three times in the Jan-Feb 2015 - twice in our car and once on foot. Each time, consistent with the web page and the flashing sign, we showed our passport cards and cruise documents/card. Each time they were inspected and compared to our ID. I am sure there is a different process for people entering to pick someone up, make deliveries, etc. I did not cover those situations since they did not apply to the OP's situation. I know the process is different when using transfers and I noted that in my original post.

We entered three times in the Jan-Feb 2015 - twice in our car and once on foot. Each time, consistent with the web page and the flashing sign, we showed our passport cards and cruise documents/card. Each time they were inspected and compared to our ID. I am sure there is a different process for people entering to pick someone up, make deliveries, etc. I did not cover those situations since they did not apply to the OP's situation. I know the process is different when using transfers and I noted that in my original post.

We have entered in a taxi numerous times, the latest this past December. We just held up our passports (easiest ID to reach) open to Photo ID. No other document was required to enter the port.

We have entered in a taxi numerous times, the latest this past December. We just held up our passports (easiest ID to reach) open to Photo ID. No other document was required to enter the port.

I have never used a taxi so I cannot speak to that. When we used a transfer in Jan 2014 there was no ID (except the Driver) or document check at all. I still will, and will recomend,that passengers do, have ID and Docs ready - since that is what the web site and flashing sign says. If using a professional transfer I would recommend following the guidance of the driver.

3 Weeks ago we arrived at 10 am. They let us in the building at 10:30. We were on the ship at 11:45. They would NOT allow you to go to your room until 1PM. They had all the emergency doors shut so you could not get to your room.

Edited by Daniel1313

3 Weeks ago we arrived at 10 am. They let us in the building at 10:30. We were on the ship at 11:45. They would NOT allow you to go to your room until 1PM. They had all the emergency doors shut so you could not get to your room.

I hope this is not some new cost cutting thing.

One of the great things about cruising on Princess has been having the cabins ready when embarkation starts. Certainly a product difference from RCI and Carnival.

All I can tell you -- I drive up, and say:

"I am going to <ship name> to pick someone up."

They inspect driver's license.

They say "Any weapons in the car?"

I say "No."

They give me mirror hang tag, and rudimentary directions.

I suppose if you offer them cruise documents, they will look

at them.

It has not been my experience that cruise documents are required.

For about 1 month last year, they would scan driver's license, and

print out port visitor sticker. That stopped.

Edited by pablo222