A salutary lesson for us all(Insurance)

BenMurphy

We use our Chase Sapphire and also buy a small medical policy.

Our Chase Sapphire is $95 annual fee. Do others pay that? Looks like United charges this but did not see other posts that Chase Sapphire does also.

Are we missing something?

Thanks.

Yes, we pay $95 annual fee for our Chase Sapphire preferred cards after the first year - well worth it.

I read in one of threads (could have been earlier in this one) that the person charged their chase shapphire CARD for coverage and wife charged her trip herself to get greater coverage. Was it done using the same card or 2 different cards with different numbers? Just wondering.

Yes, we pay $95 annual fee for our Chase Sapphire preferred cards after the first year - well worth it.

+1 - my favorite card by far.

In addition to our most common redemption by UA, we hope to get the most elusive F award on SQ (LAX-NRT) with UR points converted to KrysFlyer miles.

+1 - my favorite card by far.

In addition to our most common redemption by UA, we hope to get the most elusive F award on SQ (LAX-NRT) with UR points converted to KrysFlyer miles.

Paul, could you translate that please? My head hurts...;)

Just wanted to chime in here re:,insurance. You all know we had to use this and I just want to say Roam Right Insurance just paid us Every dollar we spent. Oh, so a relief. They did not question one charge,

Just wanted to chime in here re:,insurance. You all know we had to use this and I just want to say Roam Right Insurance just paid us Every dollar we spent. Oh, so a relief. They did not question one charge,

That's good to hear Deb - it's a load of your mind, I am sure.

Hope Jim is back to his old self.

Insurance by definition is to ensure that your money is refunded (by the insurer) if anything goes awry. Even Mr. Walker states that the law is "technically" correct; the law is correct, in actuality, not just technically.

If one chooses to self-insure, be prepared to pay the consequences.

I NEVER buy a cruise line's insurance. Travel agents have contacts with non-cruise line insurers.

Two things...personal responsibility needs to figure in ones decision to travel like gambling ... don't bet more than you can afford to loose !!!

Second, I self Insure ,and have $10,000pp of travel insurance should I ever need it from my credit card at no cost and a health policy that pays100% for treatment anywhere in the world. From where I sit I have excellent odds which insurance companies don't want you to know you have.

The British public, I have found, is one of the most over sold insurance markets in the world... they have insurance for everything you could dream of and the industry in UK has made it a point to whip the masses into hysteria over any and everything..........

The British public, I have found, .......... have insurance for everything you could dream of and the industry in UK has made it a point to whip the masses into hysteria over any and everything..........

This being your experience, I'm curious to know how many members of the British public took part in your survey and on what basis you chose your sample population?

That's good to hear Deb - it's a load of your mind, I am sure.

Hope Jim is back to his old self.

Actually Paul, he says he feels better than he has for quite some time. I think a 25 pound weight loss added to the experience. We are looking forward to our AK cruise.

This being your experience, I'm curious to know how many members of the British public took part in your survey and on what basis you chose your sample population?

over 40 years, living and working in UK from Lancaster to London,knowing many brits from folks at Queens Bar to Potholers........... You may not living in UK be able to see the forest for the trees. The reality is that British companies sell policies on everything you could dream of and that no one outside Britain has ever heard of.... I mean Cave exploring and Hiking insurance, Tennis and golf insurance, Gardening insurance...and the list goes on

over 40 years, living and working in UK from Lancaster to London,knowing many brits from folks at Queens Bar to Potholers........... You may not living in UK be able to see the forest for the trees. The reality is that British companies sell policies on everything you could dream of and that no one outside Britain has ever heard of.... I mean Cave exploring and Hiking insurance, Tennis and golf insurance, Gardening insurance...and the list goes on

You're quite right, Dan. I obviously can't see the wood for the trees. I have lived and worked in the UK all my life, from Scotland to London, and I've never heard of such things; and I never travel without insurance - we have a worldwide, annual, multi trip policy, which covers cruising. I do believe you when you say they exist, I just haven't encountered them. I've not come across much mass hysteria either.

How many people do you know who have bought theses policies? Any idea of percentages? Just because it's possible to insure against almost anything here it doesn't mean we're all buying the policies.

I read reports in the press of people who've gone on holiday abroad, had a serious accident, and been unable to afford to pay their medical bills and get themselves home because they have no insurance.

Out of interest I did a search for Gardening Insurance and what came up was insurance for gardening professionals to cover public liability. Seemed to me to be a reasonable thing to insure against.

Well,many hiking clubs require you to get Hiking walking ins, In Yorkshire to go potholing...you have to have pothole insurance... Go to France to Ski with the club...got to have ski insurance... and many sports too... it seems like every activity has a British insurance policy for it....

In the states, we just have health, car and life insurance.... some buy travel and flight ins, because they do not realize their credit card that they paid for the specific activity, will cover any loss, cancel, flight, cruise, loss for most any reason.... With rental cars my credit card covers all damage no deductible.

Had a rental car that was hit and ruined...credit card paid all the damages to Hertz....

I know British banks don't like credit cards and push debt cards so they may not offer the same to UK customers...

The reality for US travelers and credit card holders and basic health and home owners insurance is that they reach out to cover everything you do!

So happy to hear that! So the remodel is on, right? :D LuAnn

"lots of brits Iknow...who toldme about them!!!"

That's called hearsay!!! And I'm not convinced that you can extrapolate from the small sample of Brits you know that "The British public ...... is one of the most over sold insurance markets in the world... they have insurance for everything you could dream of and the industry in UK has made it a point to whip the masses into hysteria over any and everything..........."

How many insurance markets in the world have you studied?

When you say "I know British banks don't like credit cards and push debt cards" I find myself wondering how you know this. What does that statement mean? Credit cards make more money than debit cards do. Why wouldn't banks like them?:confused:

Banks in the UK do offer travel insurance as a perk, but only if you have a fee based account so it isn't free. Fee based credit cards are probably the same but I have no experience so I can't comment.