Native Way GC-worried about missing boat

Tara619

I'm researching excursions for our 7 day Fantasy in June. Has anyone used Native Way Watersports for the Stingray and Island Tour or the Rays, Reef, and Rum Point? http://www.nativewaywatersports.com/about-our-tours

I'm really worried to book it because we're only in GC 10:30 am-5:30 pm per the Disney site. But the NW tours are 10am-2pm (Stingray & Island) or 11:15-4:30 (R, R, RP).

I've read elsewhere that the last tender back to the ship is at 4 pm and there's a lot of traffic which may delay your return to port. We have the early dinner.

Can anyone offer advice or suggestions on if this will work? I'm very risk adverse, so I worry we'll miss the boat.

I'm researching excursions for our 7 day Fantasy in June. Has anyone used Native Way Watersports for the Stingray and Island Tour or the Rays, Reef, and Rum Point? http://www.nativewaywatersports.com/about-our-tours

I'm really worried to book it because we're only in GC 10:30 am-5:30 pm per the Disney site. But the NW tours are 10am-2pm (Stingray & Island) or 11:15-4:30 (R, R, RP).

I've read elsewhere that the last tender back to the ship is at 4 pm and there's a lot of traffic which may delay your return to port. We have the early dinner.

Can anyone offer advice or suggestions on if this will work? I'm very risk adverse, so I worry we'll miss the boat.

For my personal comfort zone, I wouldn't book either of those excursions (with a private party). Yes, if the last tender is at 4:00, then the last tender to the ship will be at 4:00. Now, it's possible they may have more than one (if there are a lot of people waiting for that tender, which can happen) or just keep running that "last tender" until everyone in the line is onboard.

I wouldn't risk it. You may see the ship sailing away as you return.

And, of course, it seems that the early one departs before the ship is even going to be cleared for debarkation.

Thanks. I wonder if there's a time zone difference between what Disney's time in port says and what the times of the tours are. either way, I don't think it's worth the risk.

Typically a cruise ship will adjust their onboard time (if it's different) to match the port time. Makes it easier for those who want to do something in port and not being on the "wrong" time.

Most of the time, DCL adjusts time to match the time in Grand Cayman. I think we had one cruise where this didn't happen.

I've booked private stuff in GC 3 times, but not thru the company you named. What I do--contact the company directly rather than going thru their web site. They KNOW when your ship is scheduled and will often adjust their times to work for the ship. What I've found when I've contacted them is that they will arrange a special excursion to match the DCL times. For instance,if the ship tender time is 10:30, they'll list an 11:00 departure for the tour with a return at 3:30 or whatever.

These excursions are not typically big groups. For our island tour, the vehicle would hold 12. There were 8 of us on the bus--my group of 6 + an additional 2. For the 3 stop snorkel tour, there were maybe 20 on the boat. They knew when we needed to be back and got us there in plenty of time (no where near "last tender." And yes, last tender at 4 means you need to be in the tender line by 4. They aren't going to leave you standing there if you are in line and the tender boat is full.

My most recent GC experience--we anchored before Royal Carib. We initially had 3 tenders working our ship. Literally, as soon as one filled an departed, the next one pulled in. They had one filling, one heading to shore, and the third heading to the ship. There was almost no waiting for a tender as they were literally going as fast as they could fill up. Then one of the Royal ships anchored and one of the tenders broke away to serve them. At the same time, another tender appeared from somewhere...so each ship had 2. But by then, most people who wanted to go ashore from the Magic were already gone. They had us line up in the Buena Vista theatre with our tender tickets to get off. I literally did not sit down. I walked into the row they indicated and at that same time a different CM took us out the door!

SO what I would do is to contact the tour company and see what arrangements they will make for you. If they won't change their times, either go with a different company or do a DCL excursion.

Traffic is not usually a problem at GC. It IS at St. Thomas.

I have not heard of either of the companies you mentioned. I trust that you have gotten first-hand recommendations and read reviews. You would have been fine on the 10-2 tour if you had gotten into port early enough. I'd call the company to see what times their tours are when you are in port. (They'll vary.) One thing I will mention is that our last trip to GC, all of the Disney excursions boarded the tenders first. It took us a VERY long time to get into a tender (there were plenty of people who booked private excursions that arrived at the pier after they tour start time so do ask what to do if that happens). I wouldn't hesitate to book private excursions but everyone has a different comfort level. Personally, I find the benefits far outweigh any "possible" negatives. Have a great cruise!

Oh yes, the DCL sponsored tour groups do have priority in the tenders and they literally cut the line. You can be the next person to go thru the card swipe and suddenly a CM and her 30 little charges appear and cut in front of you. I've had it happen--not when I was the next person, but within the next 5. I've never actually had a group prevent me from being on the boat that was loading, but that is possible.

I have heard of Native Way on the boards with all reports being positive but have never used them. I have booked twice thru Captain Marvin's, another very reputable tour contractor and would highly recommend them. Actually I booked with them 4 times, but twice we were unable to tender (in which case they don't charge your credit card).

What you need to do is take the time to read the information on the Native Way website.

If you read it then you will see the little * next to the times.

That denotes there is information that includes or excludes things. outside of the stated information is provided.

When you scroll down it mentions:

11:30 - 2:45pm (Tuesdays, Wednesdays for Navigator of Seas & Disney Fantasy)**

* Times are Eastern Daylight Saving Time

** Times are Central Daylight Saving Time (ship time for Disney Fantasy)

ex techie

What you need to do is take the time to read the information on the Native Way website.

If you read it then you will see the little * next to the times.

That denotes there is information that includes or excludes things. outside of the stated information is provided.

When you scroll down it mentions:

ex techie

There are 3 different tours on that page and the times you pasted were for the third one we're not interested in. I'm very educated and can recognize what an asterisk means.

There are 3 different tours on that page and the times you pasted were for the third one we're not interested in. I'm very educated and can recognize what an asterisk means.

I apologize, I quoted your first post rather than the second that I meant to.

Thanks. I wonder if there's a time zone difference between what Disney's time in port says and what the times of the tours are. either way, I don't think it's worth the risk.

11:30 - 2:45pm (Tuesdays, Wednesdays for Navigator of Seas & Disney Fantasy)**

* Times are Eastern Daylight Saving Time

** Times are Central Daylight Saving Time (ship time for Disney Fantasy)

ex techie

Edited by Ex techie

Thanks for the advice everyone. I'm leaning toward just doing the DCL Rum Point beach excursion for peace of mind. I may still email Native Way to confirm the times of their tours. They have very good reviews on trip advisor.

we are doing the Rum Pointe excursion through the Disney excursions. Hoping that won't be a problem since everyone on that boat should be from the Magic cruise.

NO DCL sponsored excursion will be a problem. In the rare event that a DCL group is delayed for any reason, the ship waits for them. In that case those who are not with the DCL group need to be back before the DCL group.

As long as you're IN the tender line, they will get you back to the ship....no worries! And, a ship's excursion...no need to even THINK about the time. They take care of everything.

Not quite. If you do any excursion that includes time "on your own," there will be a designated time and meeting place. In my experience, the meeting place has always been announced while we are standing at it--as in "Be back here at 3:00. It is now 1:00."

We had one situation where one person was almost an hour late. At 30 minutes late, the tour guide started phoning her supervisors for instructions--as in should we leave him (it is HIS fault that he's not back) or how long do we wait. His wife was going hysterical at the thought that the bus might depart without him. This was not a situation of the ship leaving him but rather that he would have had to find his own way back to the ship. He showed up about 55 minutes late; our guide had been instructed to wait an hour and then depart.

Honestly, I think that was generous. If 44 people could follow instructions, what is the problem with number 45? And 44 people standing around in the sun was not fun. We had no seats, nothing to drink, etc. because we had to walk from the meeting place to the bus.

Thanks for the advice everyone. I'm leaning toward just doing the DCL Rum Point beach excursion for peace of mind. I may still email Native Way to confirm the times of their tours. They have very good reviews on trip advisor.

Nativeways is fantastic. We got back a few weeks ago and used them. With that said the tour you want to do would make me nervous. We just did the small 3 hour snorkel and sting ray one and it filled our day at GC. You have to figure drive time and getting situated etc. The tender alone took us over 1 hour and 15+minutes to get to the island. Lesson learned about getting in line to be the first groups to get off. (we arrived about 20 minutes into the boarding process for tenders) There were several around us who were missing their private tours. Was not happy with DCL at that time. Fortunately for us Nativeways waited for us as we were late.