Seward itinerary for 3 days?

SUNNY D

Our cruise disembarks in Seward on a Monday in June. We have reserved a room at the Best Western for that Monday, Tuesday, and checking out Wed. We are taking the 6pm train to Anchorage on Wed so we pretty much have 3 full days in Seward. We want to take the train (hubby hates buses) and we will not be renting a car.

The only things we have so far that we would like to accomplish in Seward are the kenai fjords tour and sealife center. Hopefully there are some stores/shops we can also visit and spend some time. Anything else to do without a car? I am thinking of waiting to book the kenai tour until we get there also instead of advance purchase. I am motion sickness prone and will come armed with patches and bonine, wrist bands whatever but if the seas dont look great then we wont chance it....in which case what else to do instead? Ive heard mention of a shuttle to exit glacier, any info on this? I'm not sure if this would appeal to us or not, we are not hikers but not against it if there is nothing else to do. I'm not too concerned about having a full day of activities planned everyday. We hope to sleep in and do alot of relaxing so maybe the kenai tour, sealife center and shopping is enough for our 3 days but just incase we get bored or dont do the kenai tour...any other ideas for someone without a car?

The town web site provides info on sights and activities. Send for a free visitor guide. In addition to what you already have planned there's flightseeing, dog carting, kayaking, fishing, or just wandering around the harbor and town. There is a waterfront path that leads from the harbor to downtown (about 1 1/2 miles). It ends near the Sealife Center. http://www.seward.com

Exit Glacier Guides has provided a shuttle in the past, $10pp. Google them for more info. You can do ranger led walks or self guided walks while you're there. Google the park web site for the times of ranger led walks.

There has been a free shuttle bus thru town in the past. This is last yrs schedule: http://www.cityofseward.us/DocumentCenter/View/1436

You have 3 days to play with. I would spend 1 days on a Kenai fjord trip. Spend half a day at the sealife center including one of the back stage tours - we have done the puffin and octopus encounters

http://www.alaskasealife.org/New/visitors/index.php?page=programs-tours.php

Then instead of taking the train back to Anchorage at 6 PM on day 3, I would take all of day 3 to drive back to Anchorage. You can do a 1 way car rental in Seward. The cost will be significantly more than the train but the drive is one of the most glorious drives in the country and not to be missed.

http://adventure.howstuffworks.com/scenic-drive-in-alaska-seward-highway-ga.htm

I have done the road every time I have visited AK and will do it again if I have the chance. The range of scenery and the places that you can stop are amazing.

DON

The town web site provides info on sights and activities. Send for a free visitor guide. In addition to what you already have planned there's flightseeing, dog carting, kayaking, fishing, or just wandering around the harbor and town. There is a waterfront path that leads from the harbor to downtown (about 1 1/2 miles). It ends near the Sealife Center. http://www.seward.com

Exit Glacier Guides has provided a shuttle in the past, $10pp. Google them for more info. You can do ranger led walks or self guided walks while you're there. Google the park web site for the times of ranger led walks.

There has been a free shuttle bus thru town in the past. This is last yrs schedule: http://www.cityofseward.us/DocumentCenter/View/1436

Thank you for the links. They were most helpful and informative! Considering a horse back ride and massages while we are there for sure :)

Our cruise disembarks in Seward on a Monday in June. We have reserved a room at the Best Western for that Monday, Tuesday, and checking out Wed. We are taking the 6pm train to Anchorage on Wed so we pretty much have 3 full days in Seward. We want to take the train (hubby hates buses) and we will not be renting a car.

The only things we have so far that we would like to accomplish in Seward are the kenai fjords tour and sealife center. Hopefully there are some stores/shops we can also visit and spend some time. Anything else to do without a car? I am thinking of waiting to book the kenai tour until we get there also instead of advance purchase. I am motion sickness prone and will come armed with patches and bonine, wrist bands whatever but if the seas dont look great then we wont chance it....in which case what else to do instead? Ive heard mention of a shuttle to exit glacier, any info on this? I'm not sure if this would appeal to us or not, we are not hikers but not against it if there is nothing else to do. I'm not too concerned about having a full day of activities planned everyday. We hope to sleep in and do alot of relaxing so maybe the kenai tour, sealife center and shopping is enough for our 3 days but just incase we get bored or dont do the kenai tour...any other ideas for someone without a car?

If you don't have the interest in activities for all this time in Seward, I would strongly suggest you go elsewhere, Anchorage has plenty to see and do, along with many day trips for a day, both north and south.

I will mention- your thinking is flawed about the Kenai Fjords tours. There is no way to tell what the Gulf is doing from Seward, and unless it is storm like conditions- "asking" isn't going to give you any answers either. You can have a beautiful sunny day- with "calm" looks at the bay. Same time you can have rough rolling swells across the Gulf. I see sick people on every trip I have been on- over 30.

I would suggest you might want test out your precautions, along with the gain of confidence of them being effective. I had a coworker, have his wife drive him along twisted backroads, him sitting in the back, reading and "taking" video. He went through 2 trials, first ended as soon as failure was felt, (not an option on any boat tour). Second was successful, along with the activity that followed. With you mention of "everything" you have for preventive, you are dealing with prescribed and over the counter meds. Has this been discussed with your health care provider? Have you used this method prior? )(I don't want the answers, questions you need to address health pertaining)

If you don't have the interest in activities for all this time in Seward, I would strongly suggest you go elsewhere, Anchorage has plenty to see and do, along with many day trips for a day, both north and south.

I will mention- your thinking is flawed about the Kenai Fjords tours. There is no way to tell what the Gulf is doing from Seward, and unless it is storm like conditions- "asking" isn't going to give you any answers either. You can have a beautiful sunny day- with "calm" looks at the bay. Same time you can have rough rolling swells across the Gulf. I see sick people on every trip I have been on- over 30.

I would suggest you might want test out your precautions, along with the gain of confidence of them being effective. I had a coworker, have his wife drive him along twisted backroads, him sitting in the back, reading and "taking" video. He went through 2 trials, first ended as soon as failure was felt, (not an option on any boat tour). Second was successful, along with the activity that followed. With you mention of "everything" you have for preventive, you are dealing with prescribed and over the counter meds. Has this been discussed with your health care provider? Have you used this method prior? )(I don't want the answers, questions you need to address health pertaining)

Thanks for your thoughts. Kinda just want to get off the cruise ship and have an easy going few days before we head back home to the real world. I realize Anchorage probably has more things to do but it appeals to us to take it easy for a few days so not doing alot is what we have in mind ;) I just wanted some ideas is we dont do the Kenai tour or happen to feel like doing something more one day. I think the few ideas the Seward site gave me will be plenty for what we have in mind. The train trip to Anchorage will officially mark the end of "excursions" for us.

As for the Kenai misconception, I have read they post signs out day of in regards to rough seas. Is that not the case? This is what I meant by seeing how it was prior to committing ahead of time to chance it or not. I would like to think my precautions would do me well. Have worn the patch (prescribed), and taken ginger tablets (natural) and worn the seabands in past with good results. Bonine really only helps me on car trips. One time I was the only one in our group that didnt get sick during rough seas on a cruise which is highly unlike me so I have hope I can make it through the tour :) Just the same, as with the weather I realize you never know till you go! lol

Edited by SUNNY D

As for the Kenai misconception, I have read they post signs out day of in regards to rough seas. Is that not the case? This is what I meant by seeing how it was prior to committing ahead of time to chance it or not.

I've never seen signage about rough seas.

I've been on 2 Kenai cruises that were downgraded to Bay tours due to rough sea. Both times it was a cloudy & windy day and the office staff said there was a chance the tour might be downgraded; the capt would make that decision about 30 minutes into the cruise. They said we could cancel now for a full refund, or, take our chances and if the tour was downgraded we would get a partial refund. BOTH times, the trip was downgraded. My feeling is that they know whether or not the ship will make it out ..... there's enough chatter between all the boats; they know what the conditions are.

We really enjoyed walking along the waterfront path. Great views, lots of boat traffic to watch, otters playing off shore, bald eagles, and it's a flat easy walk. If you don't wan to walk back to your hotel, you can take the shuttle or a taxi will be less than $10.

BTW, here's a

Hopefully there are some stores/shops we can also visit and spend some time. Anything else to do without a car??

I should have added that Seward is not a store/shop kind of town. Your options are very limited. All of the good Seward options are outside or nautical activities with the exception of the SeaLife Center. Basically you need a car to do them.

Sort of sounds like Seward may not be your kind of town. I would add that in my opinion AK is not a place for easy going relaxation after your cruise. It is a place to get out and see things.

DON

Edited by donaldsc

As for the Kenai misconception, I have read they post signs out day of in regards to rough seas. Is that not the case? This is what I meant by seeing how it was prior to committing ahead of time to chance it or not. I would like to think my precautions would do me well. Have worn the patch (prescribed), and taken ginger tablets (natural) and worn the seabands in past with good results. Bonine really only helps me on car trips. One time I was the only one in our group that didnt get sick during rough seas on a cruise which is highly unlike me so I have hope I can make it through the tour :) Just the same, as with the weather I realize you never know till you go! lol

I made comments based on my experiences over about 15 years. The only time the weather is disclosed by these vendors, is when it is severe. At those times, they do offer refunds. (I always go out, if not canceled) The rest of the time- sorry, but it is downplayed with vague reports. The Gulf IS ROUGH the majority of the time. I went out 4 times on successive days, last year and per my usual experience, each one of those had extra movement with the boat- and ill people of various degrees.

You can not tell what the sea conditions are in the Gulf from Seward- bottom line and no way to predict calm seas. You can expect some increased movement with a wide range of possibility.

Edited by Budget Queen

I should have added that Seward is not a store/shop kind of town. Your options are very limited. All of the good Seward options are outside or nautical activities with the exception of the SeaLife Center. Basically you need a car to do them.

Sort of sounds like Seward may not be your kind of town. I would add that in my opinion AK is not a place for easy going relaxation after your cruise. It is a place to get out and see things.

DON[/quote

Okay, thanks for your opinion. I actually thought Seward has a good selection of things to do as listed on the seward.com site recommended to me earlier, even without a car. Remember we seek to take it easy. By the time we arrive in Seward we will have been on vacation for 2 weeks of getting out and seeing so while AK may not be the place to relax as you say, taking it easy our last couple days appeals to us and Seward seems lIke our kind of town to do just that :)

I made comments based on my experiences over about 15 years. The only time the weather is disclosed by these vendors, is when it is severe. At those times, they do offer refunds. (I always go out, if not canceled) The rest of the time- sorry, but it is downplayed with vague reports. The Gulf IS ROUGH the majority of the time. I went out 4 times on successive days, last year and per my usual experience, each one of those had extra movement with the boat- and ill people of various degrees.

You can not tell what the sea conditions are in the Gulf from Seward- bottom line and no way to predict calm seas. You can expect some increased movement with a wide range of possibility.

Thanks so much for your expertise. Really do appreciate your experiences. It sounds like its as much of a chance for rough seas as if my motion sickness will affect me Or not. Is there a concern that the tours sell out or can we wait to book when we arrive? We would probably try to do the longer 8hr tour. Im just not sure if we will be in the mood to hop on an all day tour after getting off the ship right away or plan it for the next day.

Thanks so much for your expertise. Really do appreciate your experiences. It sounds like its as much of a chance for rough seas as if my motion sickness will affect me Or not. Is there a concern that the tours sell out or can we wait to book when we arrive? We would probably try to do the longer 8hr tour. Im just not sure if we will be in the mood to hop on an all day tour after getting off the ship right away or plan it for the next day.

Being you are there 3 days, you should be able to get late booked admission. I would suggest, if you decide to go the third day, you book on day 2.