WOW - bar drinks prices increased by up to 40%

icsys

Can't say I blame you! We will certainly be drinking less. We do not drink enough to have a package.

I feel bad for the people that love their cocktails, especially on vacation. Thankfully we cruise for the sun and the sea.

I cruise for the cocktails, thank goodness for Diamond lounges :D

I cruise for the cocktails, thank goodness for Diamond lounges :D

Agreed. I made a point to drink off the ship or drink in the DL on Independence last week because of the ridiculous drink prices. Our onboard tab for 7 nights, mostly alcohol and specialty dining, is usually around $1000-$1500.

Last week I bought one Long Island iced tea and two Coronas. And you bet I mentioned it to the concierge and in the survey!

Hubby and I will be on the Allure in October. We are bracing for "sticker shock" when we go to purchase bar beverages! I just returned from a Bermuda cruise on the HAL Veendam and the prices were great. Every day there was a "happy hour" in the Ocean Bar where drinks were "buy one get a second for one dollar. The price for two Jim Beam bourbons with tip came to $7.99.

Cheers, Betty

if they made proper drinks instead of going nuts with the alcohol, prices might be more reasonable. had to have them remake almost every drink except for those in the schooner bar on our Navigator cruise last year (that was the only set of bartenders that made them correct).

if they made proper drinks instead of going nuts with the alcohol, prices might be more reasonable. had to have them remake almost every drink except for those in the schooner bar on our Navigator cruise last year (that was the only set of bartenders that made them correct).

Most people don't complain about drinks being too strong...

And that's not a problem anymore. On our past three cruises they have under poured using shot glasses. Which makes the prices even more absurd.

I just pulled out the bill from our last cruise and it looks like we too will be getting the drink package. We were just getting the soda package like we've done before but by jacking the prices on everything else, they've finally made it "worth it" for us. We'll definitely sail on the one we have booked but I rather liked HAL (and their bar prices) and may go back to them for our next voyage.

I just pulled out the bill from our last cruise and it looks like we too will be getting the drink package. We were just getting the soda package like we've done before but by jacking the prices on everything else, they've finally made it "worth it" for us. We'll definitely sail on the one we have booked but I rather liked HAL (and their bar prices) and may go back to them for our next voyage.

Exactly the reason the bar prices were 'jacked'! To make the packages 'worth it'.

Bar staff we spoke to said they [RCI] want people to buy the packages.

I guess it's working.

On Grandeur last week, I had ultimate package but friends only had beer packages. Most cocktails they ordered a la cart were 7-11 range. The most expensive drink was the Corona-Rita at 15 which was actually two drinks (a margarita with a Corona turned upside down into the glass).

I just cancelled my drink package for August because I decided I would wait to buy it on board. The confirmation I received was that it will be credited within "2 billing cycles". Does it actually take that long?

Edited by denatravels

I just cancelled my drink package for August because I decided I would wait to buy it on board. The confirmation I received was that it will be credited within "2 billing cycles". Does it actually take that long?

They take your money right away but take their time giving it back. You should however receive it within a week or so.

Sometimes it's taken 10 business days for our refunds.

I agree. It certainly makes attaining Diamond level a worthy goal if you are a drinker.

Tom

We made Diamond on our last trip:D but our next one is on NCL.

Why? Pretty much same price as RCL but NCL included a free beverage package.

No brainer plus it'll be interesting to try something different and NCL's Jade seems to have a good reputation:)

Edited by pspercy

Newbie to RC and just wanting to clarify a couple of things. I read about the drink packages and see there is a cup involved (with a chip in it) to operate the soft drink machine. Does this mean you have to cart the same cup around with you for the cruise? Clean it? Also can you actually buy a "shot" on cruise ex Australia?(most places will not sell shots anymore)

Newbie to RC and just wanting to clarify a couple of things. I read about the drink packages and see there is a cup involved (with a chip in it) to operate the soft drink machine. Does this mean you have to cart the same cup around with you for the cruise? Clean it? Also can you actually buy a "shot" on cruise ex Australia?(most places will not sell shots anymore)

You only have to use the special cup if you want to use the Freestyle Coke machines, of which there are none on ships based out of Australia. Your SeaPass card will suffice if you want soda from any bar or restaurant.

Edited by clarea

You only have to use the special cup if you want to use the Freestyle Coke machines, of which there are none on ships based out of Australia. Your SeaPass card will suffice if you want soda from any bar or restaurant.

So do they remove the machines before the ships come to Australia?

So do they remove the machines before the ships come to Australia?

The machines were never on the ships that went to Australia. However, Explorer has the machines and it will be interesting to see if the machines stay functional when Explorer arrives in Australia.

The machines were never on the ships that went to Australia. However, Explorer has the machines and it will be interesting to see if the machines stay functional when Explorer arrives in Australia.

It is the Explorer ots that I am going on....will have to wait and see then. I can only imagine though that carrying (and using) the same cup for 11 days it is going to get pretty sticky and gross and can't work out how that would work to be honest. Also as well as a lanyard for your cruise card, the cup would need a hole in it so you could "carry" your cup everywhere you go in between drinks?

It is the Explorer ots that I am going on....will have to wait and see then. I can only imagine though that carrying (and using) the same cup for 11 days it is going to get pretty sticky and gross and can't work out how that would work to be honest. Also as well as a lanyard for your cruise card, the cup would need a hole in it so you could "carry" your cup everywhere you go in between drinks?

We had the cups for the freestyle machine when we went on Oasis. They're not difficult to carry around or to clean. We just rinsed ours out in the sink in our cabin. If the freestyle machines are not available though I probably wouldn't bother to carry it.

In answer to your earlier question, yes you can purchase shots on sailings from Australia.

Enjoy your cruise :)

RCI should specify whether or not there will be freestyle machines on the ship BEFORE people buy the package. It certainly would affect my decision to buy or not. Why should people spend their money first only to find out what they are actually getting later?

Edited by Ocean Boy

RCI should specify whether or not there will be freestyle machines on the ship BEFORE people buy the package. It certainly would affect my decision to buy or not. Why should people spend their money first only to find out what they are actually getting later?

I think this is a reasonable expectation.

This is one reason why I recommend that people do not purchase drink packages pre-cruise. Once they are onboard, they can ask specific questions about exactly what is included (and functional) on that sailing before they pay.

Also you can get away with not buying for the first day which is shorter.

Tom

I think this is a reasonable expectation.

This is one reason why I recommend that people do not purchase drink packages pre-cruise. Once they are onboard, they can ask specific questions about exactly what is included (and functional) on that sailing before they pay.