Good time to go to Europe

hypercafe

See S&J's post #15 above. It would seem that because MC is a duty free port, they would not charge VAT.

Please check it out and maybe report back here for others to know in the future.

But that wouldn't help the OP, would it, as shops are closed when ship is in port? It would help on purchases of adult beverages, however.

Edited by findacruise
spelling

But that wouldn't help the OP, would it, as shops are closed when ship is in port? It would help on purchases of adult beverages, however.

Of course, you are right - didn't think about that :)

Perhaps when they leave MC and the shops open it may be the case.

If the EURO is sliding then this is no time to buy EUR. Since it may well slide further and be even more attractive. Furthermore the USD is forecast to keep rising making purchase of EUR now even a worse idea...

Gerry - you are right. We won't get to Barcelona till mid April so we will have a better idea then as to the actual value at that time and the trend going forward.

We will be back in Europe this summer so maybe we'll get some in April and some in the summer.

Gerry, I'm in the investment business and like you monitor exchange rates constantly. Bravo for your dollar based pension at least this year. I also agree with you to hold off on buying euros. We are cruising Barcelona to Copenhagen on Regent in May and I am doing several private excursions, they keep getting cheaper:D

Paul,

The euro is down to $105.4 today. By the time we get there they may be paying us to buy things.

I wonder if the trend continues, will some of the operators (like those in Turkey and other non-Euro places) want to paid in $$ again rather than Euro (which is what they want now)?

Unfortunately for us Aussies, everything O/S is becoming more expensive with our Dollar dropping against most currencies!

I follow the AUD closely since I have some of them... In fact it took a big hit earlier in the year but has come back quite a bit. Not nearly to where it was last summer (.96AUD per 1CHF) but getting better. Yesterday for example it was around .75AUD /CHF. Seems there is a problem in Oz with primary metal exports to Asia... probably all of which will turn around but not tomorrow!

Cheer up! Life is too short to worry...

For the others who are worrying about TVA - VAT -- you do not pay VAT when you withdraw money from an ATM if that is what the problem is. And if you buy something you subsequently export (and do not live in the European Union) from Spain or wherever you can claim the VAT back when you leave the EU. As for Monaco - I think they have French TVA. I am almost sure I saw TVA on a hotel bill there. May be that they charge it too and it goes into their own Treasury. But a Duty Free port doesn't mean there is no VAT / TVA.

Edited by Hambagahle