NEW PROMO: BOGO50 Starts 03.11.15

So are fares without sales actually LESS expensive than the so-called bogos? In your opinion?

I'm just referencing the sale they had that ended yesterday - it was BOGO with $200 OBC if you booked a balcony. For a 7 night cruise, that promo is effectively identical to the one that starts today, unless they change the base fares, except this is even more in their favor, since only the people who want a beverage package get the $200 off (as opposed to $200 OBC, which almost everyone can use somehow).

We booked last year. Our original booking was under one of the BOGOHO sales. We booked at a price we were happy with, but we continued to look for price drops and available discounts. Since then we've repriced several times. Once to apply the Va Resident discount (better than BOGOHO pricing). Then to apply the EMT/FF discount (better than Va Resident pricing). And finally, when the OBC became available, we repriced to apply that to our EMT/FF discount reservation. It's remained that way since, and we're happy with that pricing.

Today, I checked the new "sale" structure. I tried 3 mock bookings (BOGOHO, Va Resident, and EMT/FF). With each mock booking we lost our $200 OBC, and the total cruise fare also increased by ($100, $200, or $300). So our same cruise under the new "sale" was $300-$500 more (when considering that we would lose our OBC).

Again, we are happy with the pricing of our current reservation. We have a long way till final payment is due, so I'll continue to check for price drops and available discounts. And if nothing else comes along, I'm still happy with what we paid. All things considered, we paid almost identical for our Nov 2015 Oasis cruise to what we paid for our Nov 2013 Oasis cruise.

We booked last year. Our original booking was under one of the BOGOHO sales. We booked at a price we were happy with, but we continued to look for price drops and available discounts. Since then we've repriced several times. Once to apply the Va Resident discount (better than BOGOHO pricing). Then to apply the EMT/FF discount (better than Va Resident pricing). And finally, when the OBC became available, we repriced to apply that to our EMT/FF discount reservation. It's remained that way since, and we're happy with that pricing.

Today, I checked the new "sale" structure. I tried 3 mock bookings (BOGOHO, Va Resident, and EMT/FF). With each mock booking we lost our $200 OBC, and the total cruise fare also increased by ($100, $200, or $300). So our same cruise under the new "sale" was $300-$500 more (when considering that we would lose our OBC).

Again, we are happy with the pricing of our current reservation. We have a long way till final payment is due, so I'll continue to check for price drops and available discounts. And if nothing else comes along, I'm still happy with what we paid. All things considered, we paid almost identical for our Nov 2015 Oasis cruise to what we paid for our Nov 2013 Oasis cruise.

Thanks for that summary. Since I have only one completed cruise, I don't have any real data on past pricing except for that one cruse and the one I just booked this past week. My EOS cruise was only 4 nights and I had a promo from an outside source which significantly reduced the fare to just under $1000 for a D1 balcony for two. No OBC or other discounts. The cruise I just booked is 5 nights, $200 OBC for a D1 balcony for two at $1400. I'm now looking to book for Feb 2017 under this new promo and what I came up with is $600 more and I lose the OBC. The bogo drink package would be lost on me, as I would only need one anyway. Ugh. I really want to stay with Royal... having never cruised any other line, to establish some valuable points. Ugh.. decisions decisions.. lol

Oh, I agree this is a case of when a sale isn't a sale. But a sale and promotion aren't necessarily the same things. I too would prefer straightforward pricing and policies. I too feel insulted when they play games and tell me I am getting a discount when I am not. But lately I do not view any of these sales as "sales" but as promotions just to get people excited. Yes, raising prices then giving a partial discount and calling it a sale is a bit disingenuous. There IS a savings compared to paying full rate for two, full deposit at once, and paying full for beverage packages. It's just not a sale compared to previous prices.

NCL's pricing structure is a lot more transparent AND a lot less insulting to my intelligence. Pay the price (which hasn't been inflated for the sale), pick your perk. Bingo, bango, boom.

I'll have to wait for winter 2016 itineraries to be fully set, but I think between RCI's "promo" and NCL's "promo" I'm probably saving somewhere in the neighborhood of $2K with NCL for a similar itinerary and comparable ships.

I love the "bingo, bango, boom"! LOL. How many times have your cruised with NCL? Or any other line besides RCL? Is there a huge difference in ship, staterooms, food, activities... or is cruising pretty much standard with only small differences between companies?

I love the "bingo, bango, boom"! LOL. How many times have your cruised with NCL? Or any other line besides RCL? Is there a huge difference in ship, staterooms, food, activities... or is cruising pretty much standard with only small differences between companies?

RCI lost us also for our next thanksgiving cruise... comparable ships are just WAY too expensive for 7 nights (over $1k more for 5 of us). Plus we get OBC with inside rooms on NCL ($50 total but hey i'll take it). We are going on the NCL Escape it'll be the 3rd sailing I think so brand spankin new! And it goes to some awesome islands, USVI, BVI!!! As much as I'd love to be loyal to royal I can't pay their prices right now. They seem similar with activities, we are an active young family, food I don't know but if I don't have to cook I'm good!! Great customer service so far too on the phone.

50% of the SECOND Guest drink package. well thats dumb. I always book and I drink alot, not my wife.

So I guess I would have to book it under my wife as primary and here C&A number and make me the 2nd guest.

This doesn't say for new bookings only. I wonder if since I previously booked and received the $200 OBC if I can keep that and still call and get the 50 off the 2nd beverage package which we haven't purchased yet. It states to just call with reservation number. I wish there was a way to use the OBC for the beverage package before getting on the ship.

50% of the SECOND Guest drink package. well thats dumb. I always book and I drink alot, not my wife.

So I guess I would have to book it under my wife as primary and here C&A number and make me the 2nd guest.

You have to buy two beverage packages. Buy the first at full price and the second is 50% off.

That's what I don't understand either. :confused:

"Receive 50% off your second guest's Premium Beverage Package when you purchase a premium beverage package at full price. Call us at 866-526-7245 with your reservation number to enjoy the savings on your beverage package."

It doesn't sound that way.

Edited by sml3

That's what I don't understand either. :confused:

"Receive 50% off your second guest's Premium Beverage Package when you purchase a premium beverage package at full price. Call us at 866-526-7245 with your reservation number to enjoy the savings on your beverage package."

It doesn't sound that way.

Here's the answer: YOU LOSE YOUR OBC.

I just got off the phone with Royal. I keep a cruise pricing spreadsheet, so I can track all the different pricing structures I've been under for this upcoming cruise.

Currently I have $200 OBC, and the EMT/FF discount.

To apply the new beverage offer, you must reprice your cruise under the current fare plan. (In my case, I could use either BOGOHO - or - EMT/FF). No OBC at all because that's not currently being offered.

Long story short, when adding the bev package (which we are going to do anyway for this cruise), my fare changed by exactly $3 total. So the beverage package is not discounted. They simply increased the fare and took away the OBC to make up for the "discounted" cost of the second package. :eek:

I decided not to make the change. I'll keep the OBC and who knows.... maybe before my cruise in 8 months they will have an offer that includes OBC and a beverage package deal!

Edited by Sherri914

Here's the answer: YOU LOSE YOUR OBC.

I just got off the phone with Royal. I keep a cruise pricing spreadsheet, so I can track all the different pricing structures I've been under for this upcoming cruise.

Currently I have $200 OBC, and the EMT/FF discount.

To apply the new beverage offer, you must reprice your cruise under the current fare plan. (In my case, I could use either BOGOHO - or - EMT/FF). No OBC at all because that's not currently being offered.

Long story short, when adding the bev package (which we are going to do anyway for this cruise), my fare changed by exactly $3 total. So the beverage package is not discounted. They simply increased the fare and took away the OBC to make up for the "discounted" cost of the second package. :eek:

I decided not to make the change. I'll keep the OBC and who knows.... maybe before my cruise in 8 months they will have an offer that includes OBC and a beverage package deal!

Thanks for taking the time to research this and post back. I'm going to do the same as you and just wait for hopefully a better offer. RCI sure knows how to continuously reconfigure these "sales" in order to confuse us.

Better Deals Here....

http://www.ncl.com/promo/wave15

You got me curious so I took a peak at this. I've never sailed NCL before but this does seem like a good idea. Now considering reserving for a cruise with my two daughters (26 and 24) for a girls vacation in May 2016. Confused though because when I did a mock booking only $25 OBC showed up and no free drink package. Guess I will be calling NCL for the first time.

On NCL... you have to enter CHOB for the promo code to get the Ultimate Beverage Package - only available for oceanview and above staterooms, not studio or inside.

We just did a 7 night on the Breakaway out of NY for $699 per person mid ship balcony deck 9, and it included the Ultimate Beverage package. Great deal and great cruise. Mega ship and it was just built 2 years ago...

- Doc

You got me curious so I took a peak at this. I've never sailed NCL before but this does seem like a good idea. Now considering reserving for a cruise with my two daughters (26 and 24) for a girls vacation in May 2016. Confused though because when I did a mock booking only $25 OBC showed up and no free drink package. Guess I will be calling NCL for the first time.

The NCL promos are for Oceanview or better cabins. A screen should come up with a list of different codes to choose from. For me the code for drink packages was CHOB.

I booked direct with NCL and got the drink packages, 3rd person free in the room, and then I joined AARP (you can join at ANY age, they only want your payment) and that saved me 3.5% off my cruise fare. Once the booking was set I gave it to a T/A who gave me OBC on top of all that. Royal Caribbean pricing wasn't even close.

In fact I just booked a second NCL cruise. Same date, same departure port on Royal was almost 20% more expensive and no free drink package on Royal. Worst case scenario I see some new shows and come running back to Royal. Best case scenario I discover a line that has a lot to offer and get really good value as well.

The NCL promos are for Oceanview or better cabins. A screen should come up with a list of different codes to choose from. For me the code for drink packages was CHOB.

I booked direct with NCL and got the drink packages, 3rd person free in the room, and then I joined AARP (you can join at ANY age, they only want your payment) and that saved me 3.5% off my cruise fare. Once the booking was set I gave it to a T/A who gave me OBC on top of all that. Royal Caribbean pricing wasn't even close.

In fact I just booked a second NCL cruise. Same date, same departure port on Royal was almost 20% more expensive and no free drink package on Royal. Worst case scenario I see some new shows and come running back to Royal. Best case scenario I discover a line that has a lot to offer and get really good value as well.

Good attitude!

Tried responding 2 other times without luck. Maybe 3x will be the charm. Hopefully, this won't be triplicated.

From RCI official site:

OFFER DETAILS:

• Booking Window: March 11 – April 30, 2015
  • Sailing Window/Length: All sailings departing on or after May 15, 2015.
  • Categories: Ocean view and higher stateroom categories

I did a mock booking for my Dec. Liberty promenade cabin which is NOT considered Ocean View or higher. It was still BOGOHO for 2nd passenger and the same rate as the one that was listed yesterday but still higher than when I booked late summer 2014 with the "old" BOGOHO promo. I just don't get it. :confused:

I don't want to spam this post from it's original intent, so if anyone wants to read about my experience on Norwegian, I posted a review here...

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=2170029

It's spread out a little, but gives a comparison between RCL and NCL. I have been loyal to Royal Caribbean for over 12 years, but they have priced me out of the market. Still love Royal Caribbean, and when prices come back down to earth - I will return. Until then, I will continue to explore my options with other lines.

- Doc

How were you able to track when a state discount was available? I have thought about this, but short of checking every day, I am unaware of another way.

This doesn't say for new bookings only. I wonder if since I previously booked and received the $200 OBC if I can keep that and still call and get the 50 off the 2nd beverage package which we haven't purchased yet. It states to just call with reservation number. I wish there was a way to use the OBC for the beverage package before getting on the ship.

I called and asked this question, because I too thought about doing that. You can apply the beverage package to any previously booked cruise, however, it will trigger a re-pricing to the relative rates for today. Whatever rate you locked in when you booked will be lost. So, yeah. They may as well said NEW bookings only because that essentially is what it'll be.

I don't want to spam this post from it's original intent, so if anyone wants to read about my experience on Norwegian, I posted a review here...

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=2170029

It's spread out a little, but gives a comparison between RCL and NCL. I have been loyal to Royal Caribbean for over 12 years, but they have priced me out of the market. Still love Royal Caribbean, and when prices come back down to earth - I will return. Until then, I will continue to explore my options with other lines.

- Doc

Thanks, I'll check this out.