Alaska+Millennium=Memories to Treasure (with Lots of Pics)

sky61

July 2014 my DH and I took this cruise with my Mom and Dad (their first!). I hope the photos make up for my much belated posting.

We all flew to Vancouver on Wednesday and stayed at the St. Regis Hotel which was in a great location, being only blocks from the waterfront and easily accessible by train from the airport. We liked the fact that this hotel had more of a boutique feel, and that breakfast and bottled water was included. Love the breakfast included thing.

We fell in love with Vancouver and all agreed it deserved a longer land vacation sometime. Our couple of days were filled with a Hop-On Hop-Off Trolley tour, Granville Island, Aquarium, lots of walking around the city, restaurants and getting pumped up for boarding.

P1020728_zpshd1lqfbf.jpg

P1020731_zpsgca7nyyn.jpg

This guy marches to his own drummer.

P1020726_zpsnlp7lww3.jpg

We were at the ship by 11:30am and after a very short wait started boarding. My parents were only a bit overwhelmed by the crowds but I was just happy to get them seating as they both would have had a tough time standing for long.

We immediately set out exploring, then grabbed a bite to eat in the Oceanview Cafe. I don't remember exactly what time our cabins were available (Aqua 1138 + 1140...aft awesomeness!) but it was around 1:30...maybe?

P1020741_zpsnotw960c.jpg

So we were just one floor up from the Oceanview (really handy for grabbing a coffee...really really handy for grabbing treats to go with the coffee). Here are some pics ofour cabin (1140).

P1020743_zps0zatllc9.jpg

P1020748_zpsrqey2d5w.jpg

There was plenty of storage for the two of us.

P1020752_zps8s8o4yzy.jpg

And the balcony pretty much rocked the free world. I learned everything I know about balcony's from my Cruise Critic peeps and booked this the morning they were released.

P1020745_zpskzedob5g.jpg

P1020769_zpsq05c77og.jpg

So the top one is a photo of our balcony and the bottom one a pic of Dad on his ridiculously amazing balcony. Yes, there are people overhead but truly I rarely saw anyone above us and no one was dragging chairs to sun themselves (although the weather was much warmer than we expected). Also, I read on some of these threads that people experienced lots of soot or smoke from the bar below.

We had maybe two days where I noticed a bit of soot, but it was always cleaned up by our cabin steward pronto and the smoking from below was not an issue for any of us. I think there was only one day when I could smell any smoke at all and barely noticed that. So there.

Our lifeboat drill was at 3:45. Very organized but even though we got there at 3:30 the place was packed. I should have gotten there earlier. Someone kindly offered Mom and Dad a seat and I hope the prayer of thanks I silently said to that gentle soul gave them a burst of superpower dancing of something else fun.

We left on time at 4:30 and enjoyed a gorgeous view of beautiful Vancouver.

P1020759_zpso2omsp8z.jpg

P1020763_zpsxw50hing.jpg

We had an assigned time that first night for Blu. Awesome wait staff, food that we had been looking forward to for months. My DH is a chef so the food experience is truly a highlight for him. I am not a chef. But I am an expert eater (I wouldn't even call myself a foodie, although I have developed a very decent sense of what good food looks and tastes like, thanks to him. Still, I admit to enjoying a can of tuna with green beans and rice every now and then...just to remind my palate where it comes from.)and once again Blu knocked my socks off.

Here are a few pics of the food. I'd like to tell you what it is but of course, being eight months later, I have no idea. DH might chime in on this later.

P1020773_zpsp85yvon6.jpg

P1020912_zpsa2ml2mwj.jpg

Two years ago on Reflection we were blown away by the Contemporary Art collection. I knew Millennium was a smaller, older ship so was really not expecting the collection to be much but was pleasantly surprised! Here are a coupe of the highlights:

P1020776_zps8y11kxwj.jpg

P1020797_zpsfgug3iwe.jpg

Edited by sky61
wrong photo

Saturday was Inside Passage Cruising Day and the first Formal night. We brought our own binoculars but there are some basic lenses in the Aqua Class cabins and perhaps in others. This was also a day for unwinding and just enjoying the ship and each other. Breakfast was eaten in Blu (Blu Parfaits and egg white omelettes in the morning help me to feel spa-like...that feeling disappears after my first pudding in the afternoon) and lunch was eaten in the Oceanview Cafe. I know a lot of people don't like buffets, but I'm not one of them.

I enjoy all the choices and with Celebrity I think the food is generally above average...dare I say tasty! Also I love nothing more than putting together a fruit salad with fruit someone else has cut up. Decadent.

If you're reading this you've probs already seen a gazillion photos of water, sunsets and mountains so make that a gazillion and two.

P1020793_zpsfzx8yagy.jpg

P1020917_zps1aqmzuj7.jpg

Edited by sky61

Ketchikan was our first port on Sunday. We were in port 7-3pm. Thanks again to CC I had a plan. We definitely had to budget and also had to think of my parents so this is what we did. After popping in to the Visitor's Center (very close to where ship docked) to grab a map we hurried up a couple of blocks to the local bus stop (right across the street from the Eagle statue). There is a bus every half-hour in the summer but there was already a short line. Within minutes the line was crazy! But we all got on the first bus that pulled up fifteen minutes later and after paying $1 (yup...you read that right) enjoyed the twelve mile drive to Totem Bight State Park. Our bus driver was a riot. He could do stand-up comedy. He was the best combo of tour guide and local color.

Here are some pics of the park. We chose not to go on a guided tour but we read everything and enjoyed a good hour and a half at the park.

P1020810_zpskdxu5nes.jpg

P1020814_zpsciqglwlj.jpg

Okay I don't usually post my picture but this is such a good shot of the totem I'm gonna take one for the team here. You can tell from what I'[m wearing that it was a lovely day...sixties and cloudy. Perfect for photos.

P1020832_zpsbnvcdr1z.jpg

P1020825_zpswyj682zd.jpg

After catching the bus back to town my folks headed back onto the ship. They were troopers and handled the walking well, but wanted to chill out and Mom needed to rest a bit.

DH and I walked around town (which is within a rock's throw of the ship). We enjoyed the boardwalk at Creek Street and also managed to find a shop that sold fudge. Because by gosh we needed sustenance.

P1020835_zpswxsfnhuy.jpg

P1020839_zpsdakqrlnx.jpg

Nice review and great photos. Glad you all had a great cruise

Thanks! Slow and steady it is finally coming together. I enjoyed reading your list of cruises...wowza! That's fantabulous. I like that you got to go on them and I like that you know how fortunate we are to travel.

Icy Strait Point was our Monday port (10am-8pm). I booked a tram ride for Mom and Dad and DH and I walked into town (with the plan that we would all meet back together in the afternoon for shopping.

This is such a cool port. Limited ships makes for uncrowded unsullied beauty. Here is a link that will answer some questions and you'll probably want to check out this port on the 'Ports of Call' forum.

It was about a one and a half mile walk into town (Hoonah). I think we passed just a couple of other people walking. There was other transportation available but I'm so glad we decided to do it this way.

P1020889_zpslho56mpp.jpg

P1020861_zpshlfsa5te.jpg

P1020859_zpshbzf1afm.jpg

We had heard about this carving that was happening but had some trouble finding the shop at first. Here is a fairly recent newspaper article to explain what the heck I am talking about. You have to go around the side/back to go indoors. We walked in and were warmly greeted by two native artists working with the wood. We were the only ones in there and were so touched by the time they took to explain the project to us. When they found out I was an artist and teacher too, they really made a point of talking process and I loved that they work with young people, primarily high schoolers, passing on what they know.

P1020880_zpsbocaz0my.jpg

P1020885_zpslsmyonnj.jpg

This is not my best picture, but not my worst believe it or not. And I just love his face so here goes nuttin'.

P1020881_zpsukrrxcpt.jpg

Edited by sky61

Next we went towards the docks and just walked around a bit more. Saw some cool crab gear for fishing.

P1020873_zpsixqrjonu.jpg

P1020877_zpsfk2xjkjv.jpg

Okay here comes some advice. If you go to Hoonah, go to "Chipper Fish." It is a tiny place with outdoor seating and the most delish salmon tacos evah! I wish I took a pic but I was too busy stuffing my face.

We walked back after lunch (and after seeing an eagle nesting!) and through the woods around Icy Strait.