Anyone do the Exclusive Amalfi Coast and Pompeii Tour thru NCL?

luv2gonow

Hi,

I just booked this excursion for my July Epic Cruise.

Amalfi coast and Pompeii are something I have been dying to do and splurged on the exclusive tour.

Has anyone done this? Is it worth it?

Thanks

Kerri

Edited by luv2gonow

There are a few different questions within your question? Is visiting Pompeii and the Amalfi Coast worth it? Absolutely, which is why we have spent several weeks vacationing along the Amalfi Coast. As to NCL's tour, without even knowing the details we can speculate that it's horribly overpriced. So you might want to check-out some private tour options (there have been many recommendations on this board). Regarding NCL calling their tour "exclusive" we have no clue as to what that even means :). If their tour is in a car of van that would be a good thing. But if their "exclusive" tour is in a large bus then we think that is not a good thing (at any price). Buses are not permitted to enter into the city of Positano and their charges have to be content with parking along a road (the Amalfi Drive) and gazing down at the charming hillside city without ever being able to actually walk through some of the streets, enjoy lunch in one of their cafes, look at some of the boutiques, etc. We also are not big fans of Amalfi Coast tours that do not include a visit to the hilltop town of Ravello (if that is on that "exclusive tour" its a good thing).

Hank

Edited by Hlitner

There are a few different questions within your question? Is visiting Pompeii and the Amalfi Coast worth it? Absolutely, which is why we have spent several weeks vacationing along the Amalfi Coast. As to NCL's tour, without even knowing the details we can speculate that it's horribly overpriced. So you might want to check-out some private tour options (there have been many recommendations on this board). Regarding NCL calling their tour "exclusive" we have no clue as to what that even means :). If their tour is in a car of van that would be a good thing. But if their "exclusive" tour is in a large bus then we think that is not a good thing (at any price). Buses are not permitted to enter into the city of Positano and their charges have to be content with parking along a road (the Amalfi Drive) and gazing down at the charming hillside city without ever being able to actually walk through some of the streets, enjoy lunch in one of their cafes, look at some of the boutiques, etc. We also are not big fans of Amalfi Coast tours that do not include a visit to the hilltop town of Ravello (if that is on that "exclusive tour" its a good thing).

Hank

Definitely want to do these sights and I was thinking the smaller group would be better

I believe it is in a smaller vehicle that can drive into positano or close

http://reviews.ncl.com/4066/NAP_59/exclusive-amalfi-coast-pompeii-reviews/reviews.htm

Edited by luv2gonow

Definitely want to do these sights and I was thinking the smaller group would be better

I believe it is in a smaller vehicle that can drive into positano or close

http://reviews.ncl.com/4066/NAP_59/exclusive-amalfi-coast-pompeii-reviews/reviews.htm

Although DW and I seldom take any kind of tour (we do our own thing) we do feel that a tour is the best way for a first-time visitor (on a port day) to see the Amalfi Coast. Public transit is not a good option, trying to park a rental car is not for the inexperienced, and large buses are prohibited entry into Positano. So a small van tour (or car) is the way to go. As we suggested, you might want to explore private tour options with one of the highly recommended companies (Romeinlimo comes to mind). Many CC posters have done well by putting together their own small tour group on the Roll Call boards.

Getting back to Positano, close is not good :). The Amalfi Drive (a 2 lane road) runs above Positano. There is only a single street that can be used to drive down into the city and that is only used by cars, limos, vans, and a few local buses (we call them Orange Buses). We think that Postiano is not just beautiful to look at from the Amalfi Drive (which is the only way tour buses see the city) but its also worth some time just strolling around the lower part (near the water) to soak-up the atmosphere. Along with Ravello we think these are the "don't miss" places on the Amalfi Coast.

Hank

P.S. Sorry for being repetitive, but some places are worth talking about again and again :)

Hank

Although DW and I seldom take any kind of tour (we do our own thing) we do feel that a tour is the best way for a first-time visitor (on a port day) to see the Amalfi Coast. Public transit is not a good option, trying to park a rental car is not for the inexperienced, and large buses are prohibited entry into Positano. So a small van tour (or car) is the way to go. As we suggested, you might want to explore private tour options with one of the highly recommended companies (Romeinlimo comes to mind). Many CC posters have done well by putting together their own small tour group on the Roll Call boards.

Getting back to Positano, close is not good :). The Amalfi Drive (a 2 lane road) runs above Positano. There is only a single street that can be used to drive down into the city and that is only used by cars, limos, vans, and a few local buses (we call them Orange Buses). We think that Postiano is not just beautiful to look at from the Amalfi Drive (which is the only way tour buses see the city) but its also worth some time just strolling around the lower part (near the water) to soak-up the atmosphere. Along with Ravello we think these are the "don't miss" places on the Amalfi Coast.

Hank

P.S. Sorry for being repetitive, but some places are worth talking about again and again :)

Hank

Thanks Hank I appreciate all the great info!!!

I was thinking of private but with that amount of ground amalfi and Pompeii

I would be stressing about

traffic delays etc.

Although if I was going to miss the ship I guess Naples would be best place it is last night and I could prob take a train to meet ship lol.... I actually considered getting off ship and staying overnight there and taking train to airport in Rome:rolleyes:

Thanks again :-)

Kerri

Having read the reviews of the tour you posted, it does seem like they provide time for you to walk around in Positano as well as in Sorrento. (Sorrento is not my favorite place and not really part of the Amalfi Coast, but many people enjoy the stop and the shopping there...)

I would still urge you to look at what others on your roll call may be arranging in terms of private tours. There are several well-reviewed vendors operating in the area, all of whom are well aware of the traffic and timing for a day like this one.

Be aware that with a tour like this one, you are only going to get a brief taste of each place, as well as some time on the Amalfi Drive. That's fine for some people, but others like a more in-depth experience at just one or two places.

The huge turn-off to me is the fact that they are forcing a stop at that dreadful cameo factory. If you do take the tour and end up with a very small group, perhaps all of you can agree to approach the guide and ask that the time here be minimized as much as possible. (I'm sure they will not agree to skip it.)

While we understand the concern some cruisers have about "missing the ship" this is in reality a very minimal risk if you use a reputable private tour provider. Companies like Romeinlimo, Romecabs, etc. do these type tours every day and are very expert at what they do. I suspect that you would not find anyone here on CC who has ever missed their ship using this type of company.

And by the way, for anyone interested there is actually an alternate route between Naples and Amalfi (used by some tour providers) that avoids the Amalfi Drive. We ourselves have used this route to get quickly between Ravello and Naples.

Hank

Just a quick note, more later if you want-

We used RIL last year for their Amalfi Coast and Pompeii tour. It was EXCELLENT. Arranged it using our roll call and had no trouble getting 4 other people to join the 4 of us. Drive with stops for photos on the way down. Walked around in Positano with plenty of time for photos and looking. Lunch and shopping in Sorrento. Guide arranged through RIL for Pompeii and back to the ship with time to spare.

Do yourself a favor and book a private tour with them or one of the other recommended companies on CC.

<<<Karen>>>

Having read the reviews of the tour you posted, it does seem like they provide time for you to walk around in Positano as well as in Sorrento. (Sorrento is not my favorite place and not really part of the Amalfi Coast, but many people enjoy the stop and the shopping there...)

I would still urge you to look at what others on your roll call may be arranging in terms of private tours. There are several well-reviewed vendors operating in the area, all of whom are well aware of the traffic and timing for a day like this one.

Be aware that with a tour like this one, you are only going to get a brief taste of each place, as well as some time on the Amalfi Drive. That's fine for some people, but others like a more in-depth experience at just one or two places.

The huge turn-off to me is the fact that they are forcing a stop at that dreadful cameo factory. If you do take the tour and end up with a very small group, perhaps all of you can agree to approach the guide and ask that the time here be minimized as much as possible. (I'm sure they will not agree to skip it.)

Funny I thought the same thing. I don't care for the cameo factory. I don't know why they all stop there. I heard it's more of a bathroom break. Always the big concern of mine on long tours is bathroom breaks:o But I'm sure they have them in Pompeii.

While we understand the concern some cruisers have about "missing the ship" this is in reality a very minimal risk if you use a reputable private tour provider. Companies like Romeinlimo, Romecabs, etc. do these type tours every day and are very expert at what they do. I suspect that you would not find anyone here on CC who has ever missed their ship using this type of company.

And by the way, for anyone interested there is actually an alternate route between Naples and Amalfi (used by some tour providers) that avoids the Amalfi Drive. We ourselves have used this route to get quickly between Ravello and Naples.

Hank

I think I will seriously look into Romeinlimo. I was thinking of using them for trip back to airport. So I think I might just go for it. I am sure it will not be more expensive than the exclusive ship tour that was very pricey.

thanks

Kerri

Just a quick note, more later if you want-

We used RIL last year for their Amalfi Coast and Pompeii tour. It was EXCELLENT. Arranged it using our roll call and had no trouble getting 4 other people to join the 4 of us. Drive with stops for photos on the way down. Walked around in Positano with plenty of time for photos and looking. Lunch and shopping in Sorrento. Guide arranged through RIL for Pompeii and back to the ship with time to spare.

Do yourself a favor and book a private tour with them or one of the other recommended companies on CC.

<<<Karen>>>

I think you guys are convincing me.

So there are 4 of us. I figured a town car would do. Would it be cheaper to get 4 more people and do a van.

I should look at my roll call. I am so impatient though and like to just book and be done.

How far in advance do most people book shore excursions like this.

I usually don't do it this far but I was worried the exclusive tour would sell out.

Thanks

Kerri

luv2gonow-

I forgot add to my post that we did not stop at the cameo factory at Pompeii. In fact RIL doesn't stop anyplace for "shopping" per say. You do what you want with your time in Positano and Sorrento. In Positano I bought a lovely silk scarf and only a magnet in Sorrento. Our friends bought a cameo at a shop in Sorrento.

Look at your roll call. Someone else may have already organized a tour and you can just join it.

Lastly, here's a link to our photos from last year a Princess cruise out of Venice on the new Regal:

https://picasaweb.google.com/116687800070615072409/Best2014Mediterranean?authkey=Gv1sRgCKKcu6Kb_ZXfXQ&noredirect=1

<<<Karen>>>

luv2gonow-

I forgot add to my post that we did not stop at the cameo factory at Pompeii. In fact RIL doesn't stop anyplace for "shopping" per say. You do what you want with your time in Positano and Sorrento. In Positano I bought a lovely silk scarf and only a magnet in Sorrento. Our friends bought a cameo at a shop in Sorrento.

Look at your roll call. Someone else may have already organized a tour and you can just join it.

Lastly, here's a link to our photos from last year a Princess cruise out of Venice on the new Regal:

https://picasaweb.google.com/116687800070615072409/Best2014Mediterranean?authkey=Gv1sRgCKKcu6Kb_ZXfXQ&noredirect=1

<<<Karen>>>

Wow your photos are amazing. I might have to get a real camera and stop relying on my iPhone:o

I will look at roll call now. I see the tour is 500 euros for 4 people and 600 euros for 8 people so that is pretty nice savings pp.

I don't see the amalfi coast and pompeii tour stop at ravello though must be further up and not enough time.

Anyway I see they take credit cards if you pay before hand which would be my preferred way to pay.

Do you think there is any disadvantage to prepaying?

Also when you walk off the ship in Naples is Romeinlimo right there or a bit of walking to find them?

Thanks

Kerri

Kerri-

Thanks, really my DH's pix and I will tell him. Yes, take a "real" camera. I don't know how many pix you can fit on a phone but he took 1300 pix and I took almost 1000 with my new camera. Enough said :D.

When I set up my tour I used the "tour sharing" part of RIL. I wanted 8 people so I advertised on the roll call for 4 more to join us. 4 people signed on right away. Then I set the tour up on the tour sharing section of RIL and had them go there and sign up. RIL takes everyones credit card number but you don't pay, in cash-Euros, until the end of the tour. If someone doesn't show up then you are not left "holding the bag". Their card is charged. There is an option to cancel out before the cruise with no penalty and if that happens you could fill the spaces with others. This worked great for the two tours I booked. The same 4 people did both tours.

RIL is right there at the dock holding a sign with your name on it. No problem finding them.

Email RIL if you have questions. The famous, Jany, will help you. And as a bonus for you...they have a tour to Ravello on the tour sharing section.

Hope this helps.

<<<Karen>>>

Kerri-

Thanks, really my DH's pix and I will tell him. Yes, take a "real" camera. I don't know how many pix you can fit on a phone but he took 1300 pix and I took almost 1000 with my new camera. Enough said :D.

When I set up my tour I used the "tour sharing" part of RIL. I wanted 8 people so I advertised on the roll call for 4 more to join us. 4 people signed on right away. Then I set the tour up on the tour sharing section of RIL and had them go there and sign up. RIL takes everyones credit card number but you don't pay, in cash-Euros, until the end of the tour. If someone doesn't show up then you are not left "holding the bag". Their card is charged. There is an option to cancel out before the cruise with no penalty and if that happens you could fill the spaces with others. This worked great for the two tours I booked. The same 4 people did both tours.

RIL is right there at the dock holding a sign with your name on it. No problem finding them.

Email RIL if you have questions. The famous, Jany, will help you. And as a bonus for you...they have a tour to Ravello on the tour sharing section.

Hope this helps.

<<<Karen>>>

Thanks!! I will have to check out the tour sharing section now:D

Kerri

Kerri-

Hope this helps.

<<<Karen>>>

I don't see a rafello tour including pompeii though?

Not that important but......I do see that I can buy my tickets at pompeii for entrance.

Does that mean I have to wait in line to buy tickets. Can they arrange to have the tickets and guide waiting?

Thanks

Kerri

Kerri-

Guess you may have make a decision between Ravello or Pompeii. We did the "Pompeii, Sorrento and Positano" tour. As I remember we purchased our tickets at Pompeii. The guide was waiting for us and took us to the ticket window. We didn't wait in line at all. Also, we used a different entrance then the one used by the big tour buses. I think this entrance is for people going in on their own or with a prearranged guide. The guide arranged by RIL is extra but well worth it. Split 8 ways it was only 10-15 euros pp. We went in the afternoon and there were not many people there. Since we were there in October it was not so hot. I think in the summer RIL may take you to Pompeii in the morning to avoid the heat.

Anyway, we had a nice tour. It was our second time there :).

<<<Karen>>>

Lets talk a little about Pompeii. Its actually a very easy place to get to on your own by train (the Circumvesuviana trains run every 30 min) or even bus from Naples. We have never waited in line more then 5 minutes to guy a ticket. If you are not on a tour with a licensed guide able to take tours inside, then you have a few other options. You can simply get a map (or guidebook) and go on your own. But they also organize small group tours (generally about 20 persons) right at the entrance gate. They used to cost 10 Euros per person (I assume the price is now higher) and English speaking tours would start quite often. Another popular option is to simply rent an Audio Tour and guide yourself.

Hank

Hi,

Amalfi coast and Pompeii are something I have been dying to do and splurged on the exclusive tour.

Having read the reviews of the tour you posted, it does seem like they provide time for you to walk around in Positano as well as in Sorrento.

If you are planning to do Pompeii AND Sorrento AND the Amalfi Coast in one day, just be aware that you will have minimal time at each. OP- I believe you have since said you've decided on a private tour and I think that's a better idea. Personally, even if Sorrento had been part of the group tour, I'd skip it on the private tour, and spend a little more time at Pompeii and in Positano (or other coast towns). We spent 5 days on the Amalfi Coast a few years ago, with day trips to Naples, Capri etc. and loved every minute.

Kerri-

Guess you may have make a decision between Ravello or Pompeii. We did the "Pompeii, Sorrento and Positano" tour. As I remember we purchased our tickets at Pompeii. The guide was waiting for us and took us to the ticket window. We didn't wait in line at all. Also, we used a different entrance then the one used by the big tour buses. I think this entrance is for people going in on their own or with a prearranged guide. The guide arranged by RIL is extra but well worth it. Split 8 ways it was only 10-15 euros pp. We went in the afternoon and there were not many people there. Since we were there in October it was not so hot. I think in the summer RIL may take you to Pompeii in the morning to avoid the heat.

Anyway, we had a nice tour. It was our second time there :).

<<<Karen>>>

Yes definitely Pompeii has to be visited. It does say morning visit which I am hoping because I know it will be an inferno:o

Thanks

Lets talk a little about Pompeii. Its actually a very easy place to get to on your own by train (the Circumvesuviana trains run every 30 min) or even bus from Naples. We have never waited in line more then 5 minutes to guy a ticket. If you are not on a tour with a licensed guide able to take tours inside, then you have a few other options. You can simply get a map (or guidebook) and go on your own. But they also organize small group tours (generally about 20 persons) right at the entrance gate. They used to cost 10 Euros per person (I assume the price is now higher) and English speaking tours would start quite often. Another popular option is to simply rent an Audio Tour and guide yourself.

Hank

Definitely gonna do a tour because I also want to do the amalfi coast.

Thanks

If you are planning to do Pompeii AND Sorrento AND the Amalfi Coast in one day, just be aware that you will have minimal time at each. OP- I believe you have since said you've decided on a private tour and I think that's a better idea. Personally, even if Sorrento had been part of the group tour, I'd skip it on the private tour, and spend a little more time at Pompeii and in Positano (or other coast towns). We spent 5 days on the Amalfi Coast a few years ago, with day trips to Naples, Capri etc. and loved every minute.

Tour was sorrento, positano and pompeii. This was private tour with RIL and

ship one.

Difference seems to be no visit to Cameo(Thank god) and I would imagine more flexibility. And lunch, pompeii tix and guide not included.

I am sure driver will recommend a nice lunch place in positano and I will definitely get a guide.

Thanks

Kerri

Kerri-

I'm going to write this here rather then on the Baltic board. Don't want Stan to see it.

Don't believe the story SPBStan is telling. Nothing like that happened to my knowledge. We used Princess twice for Baltic cruises, 2010 and 2013. There were rumors that Princess would not let independent tour passengers off until after Princess tours left but that was not the case. We went to the dinning room and received a ticket to get off almost as soon as we got there both times. No waiting!!! The real problem is with immigration. They do look at your documents, don't just wave you through. It takes a bit longer so the lines tend to get backed up. That's why Princess and other cruise lines try to keep too many from getting off at the same time. The new terminal has helped, too. More immigration officers on duty.

When Stan first started posting he wrote about life in St Pete and posted beautiful photos. Now all he does is sound off about tour companies :eek:.

<<<Karen>>>

Kerri-

I'm going to write this here rather then on the Baltic board. Don't want Stan to see it.Don't believe the story SPBStan is telling. Nothing like that happened to my knowledge. We used Princess twice for Baltic cruises, 2010 and 2013. There were rumors that Princess would not let independent tour passengers off until after Princess tours left but that was not the case. We went to the dinning room and received a ticket to get off almost as soon as we got there both times. No waiting!!! The real problem is with immigration. They do look at your documents, don't just wave you through. It takes a bit longer so the lines tend to get backed up. That's why Princess and other cruise lines try to keep too many from getting off at the same time. The new terminal has helped, too. More immigration officers on duty.

When Stan first started posting he wrote about life in St Pete and posted beautiful photos. Now all he does is sound off about tour companies :eek:.

<<<Karen>>>

Almost spit my coffee on laptop!! Thanks for the laugh:D

Gonna take my chances. If I did the Disney cruise I would like to get some DCL excursions so my Daughter could meet other people.

Did u sail Princess in the summer in Baltics? Was there a lot of kids?

Thanks

Kerri:D

Kerri-

I'm going to write this here rather then on the Baltic board. Don't want Stan to see it.

Don't believe the story SPBStan is telling. Nothing like that happened to my knowledge. We used Princess twice for Baltic cruises, 2010 and 2013. There were rumors that Princess would not let independent tour passengers off until after Princess tours left but that was not the case. We went to the dinning room and received a ticket to get off almost as soon as we got there both times. No waiting!!! The real problem is with immigration. They do look at your documents, don't just wave you through. It takes a bit longer so the lines tend to get backed up. That's why Princess and other cruise lines try to keep too many from getting off at the same time. The new terminal has helped, too. More immigration officers on duty.

<<<Karen>>>

Hi Karen,

I was around for the big debacle with Princess and private tours in SPB. There actually were some verifiable reports of folks with private tours not being let off the ships until quite late in the morning, while the Princess tours were offloaded through the Russian authorities. And yes, I think there may have been *one* instance where some Princess staff person physically restrained independent tour takers from leaving the ship.

I was one who thought it terrible and made sure notice was taken of what was going on.

But it was NOTHING like the level Stan posted and there have not been any problems reported in years since. (This was maybe 2009, 2010....)

P.S. I've also been around these boards long enough to remember that Stan was a previous poster (waaaay back) who was eventually *poofed*, whether due to an association with a tour company or for other reasons. :cool:

Even if he is legitimately a local expert without affiliations, Cruise Critic has strict guidelines for what he can and cannot recommend (or not recommend). I suggest you find and read those guidelines and if his posts violate them, you should report it. It really is the best way to keep these boards useful and transparent.

Thanks, cruisemom42-

I would like to report him but I also don't want to be flamed. I just thought that Kerri was going to take what he said seriously. I had answered some of her questions on this board so I thought I'd reach her here and not incur SPBStan's rath. Some of his earlier posts on the Baltic board were very good with beautiful photos he said he took. Now he's turned into....well I won't go there. The problems with Princess most have happened before May 2010 as we had no problem getting off then. There were 16 of us in group formed on the roll call, all went together and all got off straight away together. Meet the Alla tour guide at the appointed time. I'm sure there may have been problems but he made it sound like something out of a spy novel :eek:.

You helped me back in 2011 by pointing out the Arasta Bazaar in Istanbul. We were DIYing it with several others and found it much nicer then the Grand Bazaar. And, yes we're all for DIYing but sometimes it's better to go private or even ships tours. We do what ever we think will work best.

<<<Karen>>>