Rules for decorating cabin doors and interior

amberdc87

We are celebrating my mom's birthday on our cruise on the Dawn in November. I see online where you can purchase the birthday package and the room will be decorated upon arrival. Has anyone done this before? How was everything?

Also, I know DCL allows decorating of the cabin doors on the outside, does NCL allow this also? I'm not talking about anything extravagant, just maybe a magnet sign for her birthday and something to make our room stand out.

Since this is my parents first cruise, my mom has always had this idea of confetti and streamers when the ship sets sail, kinda like they do on DCL. Can we bring our own and do this? As long as we clean it up.

Thanks for the information!

Sure you can, we've seen it from time to time on NCL cruises, passing the hallways & corridors - some are unique.

Beware that there's been some report of items outside on the door "disppearing" and taken by others as "souvenirs" so make it unique, distinctive to reduce the odds of it being "recycled" by another party ...

Stop by your local Dollar Store or party supplies store to get creative :D

Sure you can, we've seen it from time to time on NCL cruises, passing the hallways & corridors - some are unique.

Beware that there's been some report of items outside on the door "disppearing" and taken by others as "souvenirs" so make it unique, distinctive to reduce the odds of it being "recycled" by another party ...

Stop by your local Dollar Store or party supplies store to get creative :D

We have used magnetic door signs on our NCL cruises.

We have purchased them and designed them at vista print.com

Awesome! We are staying in cabin 12522 on the Dawn, can anyone tell me if that door is magnetic? I thought I had read somewhere that only some of them are magnetic?

I plan on going by our local Dollar Tree for decorations. Any suggestions on how to hang them in the suite? I know tape is probably not a good idea.

Awesome! We are staying in cabin 12522 on the Dawn, can anyone tell me if that door is magnetic? I thought I had read somewhere that only some of them are magnetic?

I plan on going by our local Dollar Tree for decorations. Any suggestions on how to hang them in the suite? I know tape is probably not a good idea.

If your door is not metal, bring painters tape and use that to hang your decorations. I just make a loop - sticky side out - and use that to hang various decorations on the door or in the cabin. It's very easy to remove and clean up is a snap.

Most cabin walls are metal so magnets work well inside the stateroom.

Edited by OceanDreaming2

We have seen door decorations on tons of cruises before, but our last cruise was the first time we decided to do our own. It was something simple that we hand made (my daughter and I) with our names and everything on it. Yes, 2 days prior to the cruise being over, someone stole if from our door. The last night of the cruise, my daughter found it hanging on another door down the hall and we stole it back! :p

I've not personally seen what DCL does for sail-away, but from ship christenings, I know that what is used is special bio-degradable, non-toxic ink confetti, so anything you bring from home probably will not be allowed.

I went on 3 different NCL cruises last year, and on several occasions it was printed in the Freestyle Daily that large door decorations made of paper on the outside of your cabin door was not allowed and would be removed (due to fire hazard?). Smaller decorations like magnets, etc. was OK. So you might "get away with it" or you might not...

PS: The same note also stated that CruiseCritic "signs" were not allowed...

Edited by TrumpyNor

We were on the Norwegian Jewel for a Halloween cruise in 2012 during Superstorm Sandy. The captain did a great job!

Many cabin doors were decorated for Halloween, and many people brought costumes from home or created them on the ship.

It was fun!

The doors on the new cabins on deck 12 aren't magnetic. I'll confess we used tape, but we also cleaned off the tape residue before we left.

I went on 3 different NCL cruises last year, and on several occasions it was printed in the Freestyle Daily that large door decorations made of paper on the outside of your cabin door was not allowed and would be removed (due to fire hazard?). Smaller decorations like magnets, etc. was OK. So you might "get away with it" or you might not...

PS: The same note also stated that CruiseCritic "signs" were not allowed...

Where did you see this information? I was reviewing my dailies and I cannot find anything like that.

I had a magnetic "Cruise Critic on Board" sign on the outside of my door for our entire cruise with no issue at all.

Where did you see this information? I was reviewing my dailies and I cannot find anything like that.

I had a magnetic "Cruise Critic on Board" sign on the outside of my door for our entire cruise with no issue at all.

I organized our M & G on the Getaway and the letter I received from the Group Coordinator expressly forbade door signs...

Now, whether it was enforced I don't know as I don't put up signs myself.

Hummm, I was planning on decorating our door so my grandson can find it easily. He tends to get there FIRST and I don't want him trying to get into someone else's cabin. We did this on our last cruise on Carnival and it stayed the whole 7 day cruise! :D We even cleaned the door better than we found it when we removed it. It was our first cruise and it was fun. We had a fish theme on the door with blowup fish...I kind of thought they might disappear, but they never did. We are heading to Alaska this time...I think we will still try it...if it gets removed...oh well. *fingers crossed*