What to do?

MrsWaldo

On embarkation day it will be my daughter's significant number birthday.

I am having trouble deciding what I should do for that night.

La Terrazza? (I'm guessing we can cancel if she changes her mind) or The Restaurant

You could certainly also reserve in advance for Le Champagne. And yes, you can cancel Terrazza (or Champagne) if she is not interested in that. Those restaurants are typically slightly less busy on embarkation night.

In regard to the Main Dining Room, in our experience it is typically extremely hectic on embarkation night and it's certainly not their best menu offering.

I think it would be very difficult to order a special menu in advance of boarding...so perhaps dine in Terrazza or Champagne on embarkation night, and order a special menu with her favorites the following night (which could also be formal night). You would have to do that as soon as you board as they need 24 hours notice.

Hope that helps.

On embarkation day it will be my daughter's significant number birthday. I am having trouble deciding what I should do for that night. La Terrazza? (I'm guessing we can cancel if she changes her mind) or The Restaurant

Herman The Cat has made some excellent suggestions. When doing the Norway/Arctic Circle cruise on the Silver Cloud, my wife's birthday was on the day of departure. Our solution? We did the birthday dinner a few days after the actual date of her birth. That allowed for arranging with the dining room manager, Jorge, and the Executive Chef for a special five-course dinner for my wife and friends that was super special. Worked very well!! It was an awesome dinner, total fun, etc. My wife will never forget that evening.

THANKS! Enjoy! Terry in Ohio

From our Jan. 25-Feb. 20, 2015, Amazon River-Caribbean combo sailing over 26 days that started in Barbados, here is the link below to that live/blog. Lots of great visuals from this amazing Brazil river and these various Caribbean Islands (Dutch ABC's, St. Barts, Dominica, Grenada, etc.) that we experienced. Check it out at:

http://www.boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=2157696

Now at 19,035 views for these postings.

I would suggest Le Champagne for the special dinner. It is very much an occasion in and of itself. Don't they ask you on the precruise information sheet that you fill out if you are celebrating a special anniversary or birthday? You should make mention there too.

Herman The Cat has made some excellent suggestions. When doing the Norway/Arctic Circle cruise on the Silver Cloud, my wife's birthday was on the day of departure. Our solution? We did the birthday dinner a few days after the actual date of her birth. That allowed for arranging with the dining room manager, Jorge, and the Executive Chef for a special five-course dinner for my wife and friends that was super special. Worked very well!! It was an awesome dinner, total fun, etc. My wife will never forget that evening.

THANKS! Enjoy! Terry in OhioQUOTE]

Thanks all, A few days after is Christmas :( We are having her party a few weeks early so it really needs to be something to mark the day. She always get a dud!

Rachel, We've filled in all the boxes and SS knows. I just wasn't sure how Le Champagne would be on embarkation night. The ship will need to reprovision as it has comes out of Ho Chi Min and then has a sea day before Sing. I'm guessing they will do a fairly significant loading and that much won't be available until night 2. Am I on the ball? Sailaway is 5 and I know its not the most scenic of places so I'm guessing there won't be too much reason to linger on the deck… (unlike Stockholm or London)

Herman I suspect that our first formal night may be Christmas?? (anyone with any ideas on that)

Edited by MrsWaldo

Mrs. Waldo, I'm confused. Are you referring to this upcoming December? We will be embarking on December21 in Singapore. The previous cruise, #3534 goes to Vietnam and will have an overnight in Ho Chi Min. Is that when you are joining the ship?

Coincidently we celebrated our daughter's very significant B-Day last October on The Wind. We were in Jerusalem on the day, and so exhausted after two very long, wonderful days of touring Israel that we had dinner in our cabin at her request. Her butler had decorated her cabin with balloons, and had left an adorable birthday cake. Before retreating we also went to the bar and requested one of her favorite songs. No corny dedication, just a glass of champagne and her tune. The bar staff all knew it was her special day and made a point of wishing her a happy birthday.

I'm not suggesting a cabin dinner party

for your family, but mentioning it because whatever you choose to do SS will make a big effort. My suggestion would be La Terrasse, but that's probably because we always choose to go there on embarkation night.

Now, are we going to meet you this December??

Yes you are :) We embark in Sing. Where are you staying pre cruise?

The two days I refer to are pre Singapore on the 3534, so i think they won't use it to add too many provisions and we have a big stock up in Singapore.

I booked it late January, hence not responding to the other thread.

Edited by MrsWaldo

I agree with RachelG. You'll have a lovely evening.

As to where we are staying in Singapore... Not booked yet, but we usually stay at the Ritz Carlton or at The Fullerton. If this will be a first visit for you, I'd suggest The Fullerton....nice hotel in a very good location. The Ritz is a bit out of the way.

Hope you are considering taking an overnight excursion to get into the interior. On our first cruise to Burma, we had a two night excursion to both Mandalay and Bagan....both spectacular. It was expensive, but absolutely worth it.

Thanks,

Yes i am considering the overnight to Bagan.

We've been to Sing about 20x. Its our normal stopover enroute to Europe.

My best friend actually lives there and has for the past 15 years.

I've booked the Valley Wing for the Dec stay. Mostly because we've stayed there a few times so they know us although we may end if staying with my friend if we decide to have a small party the night before.

i'm umming between the Fullarton, The Four Seasons (close to Orchard Road so i can do some shoe shopping in the sales) and the Intercontinental coming home.

Thanks,

Yes i am considering the overnight to Bagan.

We've been to Sing about 20x. Its our normal stopover enroute to Europe.

My best friend actually lives there and has for the past 15 years.

I've booked the Valley Wing for the Dec stay. Mostly because we've stayed there a few times so they know us although we may end if staying with my friend if we decide to have a small party the night before.

i'm umming between the Fullarton, The Four Seasons (close to Orchard Road so i can do some shoe shopping in the sales) and the Intercontinental coming home.

Fullerton is quaint - we stayed there once, love things about it, room was not large. (It wasn't as small as the room we once had at the Royalton in NY which we couldn't have gotten a cat into let alone swung it, but it really was rather pokey)

Four Seasons was our favourite hotel in Singapore before Ritz Carlton, it's great, it is very conveniently located, the staff are brilliant and I do have a very soft spot for the bar downstairs.

Intercon in Singapore I've never much liked.

Also down the Marina Bay strip are the Marina Mandarin, the Pan Pacific and the Mandarin Oriental and they are all also fine hotels.

Not a Marina Bay Fan…. we will do the Gardens by the Bay this time around as it is quite a while since the little Waldos have been. to sing

I had a FS couples floor last March and really loved it. Love the adult only pool area.

I have to decide whether to do 2 rooms or a big suite with 3 of us..

I stayed at the Fullerton in about 04… and yes the room was compact (in those days we had 2 rooms)

too much choice…

Someone suggested the new park royal