Why the same ships in the same home ports?

New2cruise1483

One thing I've been wondering is how come NCL puts the same ships in the same home ports instead of switching them up more often? For example, the Jewel and the Pearl always do the round trip Alaska route from Seattle. Why not put the Gem and the Jade there for a couple years, and put the Pearl and the Jewel where the Gem and the Jade were at? Or how the Dawn always goes the Boston to Bermuda route, why not put the Spirit there and maybe have the Dawn do a Mediterranean route? Just a thought. What are your thougts/ ideas? Any ship in particular you would like to see switched around?

Edited by New2cruise1483

They must be sailing full and attaining revenue projections.:)

You've got an excellent point lol. I sometimes just get caught up in thinking, man it would be cool if such and such a ship was available for such and such itinerary. There are a couple of ships that I'm really drawn to for some reason, but their itineraries usually aren't doable/ appealing to me.

They have contracts with some ports to keep a certain ship there for a specified length of time.

Oh really? I didn't know they had a certain length to there contracts. I thought it was done on a year to year basis. Guess it goes to show, you learn something new everyday! :D

I'd love to see Dawn homeport anyplace but Boston !!

Enough already change it Up .

They kept the old ( Cash Cow ) Majesty here for decades too !!

Well...you know that there is nothing that says that you HAVE to always sail from the same port, right?

Get out there and try and new port, a new itinerary, and a new ship.

Throw off the bowlines...sail away from the safe harbor...live life to it's fullest!!

Well...you know that there is nothing that says that you HAVE to always sail from the same port, right?

Get out there and try and new port, a new itinerary, and a new ship.

Throw off the bowlines...sail away from the safe harbor...live life to it's fullest!!

I have done a few sailing from Florida . Its a long drive !! ( we don't fly )

So we did a week in the Keys then Western Caribbean then Dawns repo back home so I only had to drive one way one time for 3 vacations . ;)

We live in Idaho, so flying anywhere other than Seattle from Spokane ( the closest airport) is RIDICULOUSLY expensive, so I have to be very selective when and where we fly. However, I LOVE the warm caribbean weather, so I Just bite the bullet and make it happen! Lol. I would love to try Bermuda once though. Thre are only so many home ports for those places though, so I think it would be nice to have the, rotate the ships more so people can have more of a chance to try different ships. Also for people who don't care to fly, and just drive to the terminal, it would be nice for the, as well to change things us a bit :D. I will say though I'm ecstatic that they have the gem home porting in San Juan next year for some southern itineraries, so much so, I think I booked one the day they came available lol.

I agree that they are probably making the money they projected so they do what works for them. I'm glad that I benefit from the Breakaway having its home in NYC because we've been wanting to do a Bermuda cruise for a while, and when they first announced the Breakaway I wanted to go on that ship! I consider myself very lucky for that and can't wait to go in July with our family of 11 people!

Other cruise lines seem to send older ships to NYC after they have already sailed Caribbean cruises for quite a while out of Florida or Puerto Rico, like Carnival and Royal Caribbean. I have still enjoyed cruises on both of those cruise lines, but NCL has really made it seem like NYC is a very special port to sail from, which in my opinion it is. Nothing like watching the beautiful city views as you sail away with a delicious drink in hand! ;)

Miami, New York, Dover, Los Angeles, New Orleans, Port Canaveral, Barcelona, Honolulu, Baltimore, Southampton, Tampa . . . I think I'd be bored silly if I had no variety in my home ports, no variety in my ships, no variety in my itineraries.

It's like going out to eat, but only ever going to one restaurant and ordering the same dish.

You'll never see the world if you never leave your neighborhood.

First off, the difference between the ships is minimal.

Next - of they switched ships, somebody would ask why they keep switching.

And, no matter they do, they have to get the ship from A to B.

Hard to find any valid reason.

You've got an excellent point lol. I sometimes just get caught up in thinking, man it would be cool if such and such a ship was available for such and such itinerary. There are a couple of ships that I'm really drawn to for some reason, but their itineraries usually aren't doable/ appealing to me.

Same here! Love the gem but not florida/bahamas

The Jewel was already in NYC. I sailed on the Jewel in Feb 2013 to fla/Bahamas

Maybe since the Gem is going to be in San Juan for a little while maybe they'll put Bliss in New York when she debuts :D. Hard to say though, having two ships that size home porting there :eek::D