Bear Viewing

weevie

We're cruising to Alaska in July and just trying to figure out what shore excursions to take. We'd like to go to try to see bears. I know sightings aren't guaranteed, but just wondering if anyone has been on any of the following tours and what you thought of them:-

Rainforest Sanctuary, Ketchikan

Wildlife & Brown Bear Search, Icy Strait Point

I'm always very content to see bears during my Denali trips so I've never taken a bear viewing excursion. I think Budget Queen has been to all of them so she will be along soon to provide experienced suggestions.

In the meantime, look at this link for info on the bear viewing areas/experiences accessible from Ketchikan. The experiences are different.

http://www.experienceketchikan.com/bear-viewing-in-alaska.html

Also, look at a few trip reports that include bear viewing .... JozieRhodes and Mollanjake are 2 reports that come to mind because they includedlots of photos. I think both families went to Anan.

(Personally I'd be leary of any tour that says ' bear search'. I don't want to drive around searching for bears.... I want you to take me to a bear viewing platform )

Here's JozieRhodes photojournal. http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=2073674&page=3

Edited by mapleleaves
photojournal

I wouldn't do either of your choices, since it looks like both are ship shore excursions?

Problem with Hoonah, if the ship tour, is you do want to be on the move here, and with an independent vendor, in my opinion. The ship tours, just go back and forth to a platform at a fixed location. You are dependent on bears showing up during your short timeframe.

Same with Ketchikan, overall, what I would consider poor sighting stats.

IF you want a winner and a high chance of seeing bears- close to 100%, then go to Anan out of Ketchikan. If this fly in is of interest, you need to move NOW and see who may still have permits for you.

I'm always very content to see bears during my Denali trips so I've never taken a bear viewing excursion. I think Budget Queen has been to all of them so she will be along soon to provide experienced suggestions.

In the meantime, look at this link for info on the bear viewing areas/experiences accessible from Ketchikan. The experiences are different.

http://www.experienceketchikan.com/bear-viewing-in-alaska.html

Also, look at a few trip reports that include bear viewing .... JozieRhodes and Mollanjake are 2 reports that come to mind because they includedlots of photos. I think both families went to Anan.

(Personally I'd be leary of any tour that says ' bear search'. I don't want to drive around searching for bears.... I want you to take me to a bear viewing platform )

Here's JozieRhodes photojournal. http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=2073674&page=3

What percentage of time/trips have you seen bears in Denali

every trip. The least number was on my first visit to Denali. We went to Toklat and only had 2 sightings ... a sow with 2 cubs grazing on a hill and a sow and 2 cubs next to the road.

On each visit there's also been a surprise... a lynx with2 kits, or multiple moose next to the bus, or walking to the crest of a hill during a rest-stop to find a herd of caribou on the other side, or a red fox running along side our bus.

Many people fall asleep on the way back to the entrance and miss quite a bit.

I like the peacefulness of the bears grazing. I don't want to see them catch fish and rip them apart .. I have a weak stomach. I even have a hard time looking at caught fish at the dock when charters come in

Edited by mapleleaves

I've entered Denali Park, numerous times, over 25? I have not seen bears on one trip. My trips have always been to at least Eielson. My min. priority. The area around Eielson is a bear habitat. I see the most moose, between the park entrance and Toklat.

The viewing, is usually at a distance, with binoculars necessary. I use a 10 power binoculars, again, my preference.

I wouldn't do either of your choices, since it looks like both are ship shore excursions?

Problem with Hoonah, if the ship tour, is you do want to be on the move here, and with an independent vendor, in my opinion. The ship tours, just go back and forth to a platform at a fixed location. You are dependent on bears showing up during your short timeframe.

Same with Ketchikan, overall, what I would consider poor sighting stats.

IF you want a winner and a high chance of seeing bears- close to 100%, then go to Anan out of Ketchikan. If this fly in is of interest, you need to move NOW and see who may still have permits for you.

Actually the best way to do Anan is by boat from Wrangell although this is not usually possible off a cruise. We have done it twice. You get more time at Anan doing it that way. However, we sere staying at Wrangell for several days so we did not have time limitations.

DON

Actually the best way to do Anan is by boat from Wrangell although this is not usually possible off a cruise. We have done it twice. You get more time at Anan doing it that way. However, we sere staying at Wrangell for several days so we did not have time limitations.

DON

I've heard of this. :) It sounds like a fantastic tour. Maybe, I'll have to put this area in some future plans. :)

Thanks for all your suggestions. Anan sounds fantastic, but the person I'm travelling with is recovering from hip surgery, so I'm not sure if they would be able to climb into a float plane.

We've two nights in Denali as well as the cruise, do you think it would be better to skip the Bear Viewing at the other locations and just wait for Denali?

Thanks for all your suggestions. Anan sounds fantastic, but the person I'm travelling with is recovering from hip surgery, so I'm not sure if they would be able to climb into a float plane.

We've two nights in Denali as well as the cruise, do you think it would be better to skip the Bear Viewing at the other locations and just wait for Denali?

Two different bears, two different diets. I'm one to always stack up my tours, as the more I go out the more I see. Totally a personal preference.

In Denali, you are likely going to be seeing bears through binoculars, as the distances are vast. These are mostly half sized non salmon diet bears. With Anan, those are mostly going to be large, salmon diet, black bears, sometimes browns.

The vendor I use, does have a ramp on his floatplane, so you don't have to climb the ladder.

Frankly, if a touring priority, then split up and go on your own.

Edited by Budget Queen

• 3 weeks later...

I have been to Anan twice, and have never seen a bear....wrong time of the year....I have seen bears easily in Toklet (Denali) when they start foraging around the river....never have I see them in midsummer, but as the berries ripen, I have seen as many as 20 bears grazing the hills, but not far from me. Most animals bed down and sleep mid day for hours, and start to forage in the evening and early morning. I have never seen bears at Taku either, although I have seen more scat that you can shake a stick at...:) They come in for the salmon on the grill....I have seen more crossing my street than I care to, but mostly brown bears. Occasionally I have gone into Denali and have seen nothing....it is crap shoot and it depends on how well you can spot game...or the bus driver, and how much you sleep....because many do...

Been to Denali twice and never saw a bear or any other wildlife. Do a lot of fishing at the Kenai/Russian river confluence in Cooper landing and see plenty of bears,black and brown!:rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes:

• 4 weeks later...
We're cruising to Alaska in July and just trying to figure out what shore excursions to take. We'd like to go to try to see bears. I know sightings aren't guaranteed, but just wondering if anyone has been on any of the following tours and what you thought of them:-

Rainforest Sanctuary, Ketchikan

Wildlife & Brown Bear Search, Icy Strait Point

we saw 3 black bears from the ship when we sailed into Tracy's Arm. You do need to bring binoculars with you. Otherwise, they are just a few moving black dots.:)

I've heard of this. :) It sounds like a fantastic tour. Maybe, I'll have to put this area in some future plans. :)

http://www.breakawayadventures.com/

or by air (but I don't know if they'll secure your permits)

http://www.sunriseflights.com/

both long term operators with good records

but you have to go to Wrangell ......