UK disabled being treated v. badly compared to US - RCI please read!!!

Take note if you are a UK passenger -

When I booked no disabled cabins were available now one has become free in the same cat as my room. But to change to it will cost me a small fortune as I will have to cancle my current booking and rebook at todays prices.

However , if I had booked through the US using a TA I could have done this at no extra cost -

We in the UK already have to pay more to cruise.

- This is outrageous discrimination and as the disabled cabin is now up for open sail meaning that anyone can now book it - it is also shocking treatment of a disabled passenger who will continue require lifting from their chair in and out of their room when a cabin is sitting there available that my wheelchair can fit into unfolded. And if I was american I could change to it!!!!!

I think this has put me off RCI I will look else where for fairer treatment of UK Guests and for a more understanding and common scene approach to disabled passengers.

Edited by fragilek

Are you saying a lateral move is not allowed within the same cat? Does not seem right.

How do you get around in a regular cabin and bathroom?

Yes the move is not allowed under uk booking conditions (this is my first RCCL booking so it didn't realise that so I have sat checking on for a disabled cabin in vain). As far as coping - I have requested a shower seat and will have to bring my trolley with me to aid me in the cabin. In RCCL defense I did know I would have to do this when I booked but I was in under the false impression that if I was lucky enough and a disabled cabin became free I could change .

Just really upset that they would rather now sell this cabin to an abled bodied person than swap me into it - I feel it is a bit disrespectful (may be I am wrong in thinking this as it is in the UK small print unfortunately I read stuff on here and not that online small print so in a way I am a bit to blame) BUT I AM STILL MAD as its moving would make a BIG difference to my holiday - we cant afford the $1000 now wanted.)

Edited by fragilek

I feel for the OP. If the disabled cabin is the same category then they should allow the switch. US bookings are so much more flexible. I would post this on RCIs facebook page to try and guilt them into assisting. Good luck.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Firstly did you book direct or through a TA? And who said they can't change you? I think someone is giving you misinformation somewhere. We have changed cabin locations in UK before at no additional charge within same category level.

Secondly have you called the UK special assistance number to see if they can help?

Edited by Spurschick

I hope you can get the HC cabin, but your post seem a little confusing

You booked a gty, not the same as a HC booking, + it seems you already know that if you had booked a regular cabin, then you could have made the lateral move

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?p=45947239#post45947239

Op did not state that in original post. That may be the reason for finance aspect. However would like to know where they are getting info from.

I booked a gty cabin and waited until my room was assigned then tried to do what others had said they can do in the usa. Which is change once the room is assigned Special services have confirmed that this would not be an issue with a usa booking but cannot be done with a UK one copy of their email

"We are truly sorry that you been feeling discriminated by the fact of

terms and conditions are being handle in the US Market. However there is

nothing we can do at this point since every market has the right to have

their own policy and in this particular case UK Market is quite clear

regarding terms and conditions of guarantee staterooms.

One more time, we are sorry for any inconvenience that this matter may

cause.

If you have any further questions please do not hesitate to contact us.

today."

When I booked there was hardly any difference in price between gty and assigned - I chose gyt after speaking with RCCL on the phone as they said there was a chance that some of the larger OV rooms may be assigned to us that way - none were still available to choose (and a slightly larger one has been). I had read stuff on here about changing after assignment and made the mistake of not reading all the small print that would show that the UK is different.

I know that this is my mistake but it still seems mad that they would prefer to keep me in the non disabled room - give me a shower seat, provide a fridge for meds rather than swap me- I wouldn;t even mind if they wanted to charge me the diff in price between what I paid and what an assigned room was back then.

They must even have a recording of my phone call where I asked if any disabled rooms were not loaded on yet and available for me to book for at the assigned price, they would then also here their agents say no and then advice to choose GTY as I may get more room that way.

That is very unfortunate, however, if the handicap room would have been available when you booked, you would've paid more for it then, as well, because you wouldn't have been able to book with the GTY rate. I don't know that it would've been that much more, but you should have booked a regular cabin at the regular rate, in which case you'd have been able to switch. The point of GTY rooms is that you specifically CANNOT choose which room you get, even if you have a handicap.

When I booked no disabled cabins were available now one has become free in the same cat as my room. But to change to it will cost me a small fortune as I will have to cancle my current booking and rebook at todays prices.

However , if I had booked through the US using a TA I could have done this at no extra cost -

- This is outrageous discrimination and as the disabled cabin is now up for open sail meaning that anyone can now book it - it is also shocking treatment of a disabled passenger who will continue require lifting from their chair in and out of their room when a cabin is sitting there available that my wheelchair can fit into unfolded. And if I was american I could change to it!!!!!

I think this has put me off RCI I will look else where for fairer treatment of UK Guests and for a more understanding and common scene approach to disabled passengers.

There are several unknowns regarding your post that may have influence in RCCL's decision to re-price the cabin if you changed to an accessible.

Is the cruise originating from a USA Port ?

If so than the USA Federal Law that became effective on January 1, 2012 should still apply even though you booked in the UK. Therefore if the cruise is originating from a USA port and you are embarking the ship in that USA Port than RCCL should allow you to change the cabin without re-pricing provided the accessible cabin is in the same category as originally booked.

Is the cruise originating for a NON - USA Port ?

If so than USA ADA Law does NOT apply and local laws than will apply. In which case if local disability laws do not protect the right of the individual to be able to book an accessible room at the same price as the equivalent as a non-accessible room in the same category than the cruise line is well within it's legal right to require you to cancel the initial booking and re-price it based on the current rate for the accessible cabin. Also since your original booking was a GTY booking than if no local disability laws apply than RCCL is well within it's right to re-price the cabin at current rates when switching to an accessible cabin . Additionally if there are no local laws that prohibit the cruise line and or hotels for that matter to re-price the room when switching from a standard to an accessible within the same category than technically it's questionable as to whether or not it's legally discriminating despite the fact that morally and ethically it may appear as being discriminatory.

As I previously stated in post 15 of this thread http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showt...9#post45947239 it's always ricky booking a QTY cabin when actually needing an accessible cabin.

Edited by xxoocruiser

Agreed. There aren't many accessible staterooms on the ship.

I empathise with your situation, but to be honest if you require a particular room, or type of room, it's not a good idea to book a GTY stateroom.

1. There were no disabled rooms available when I booked - I even checked when I phone RCCL - if there had been I would have booked one

2. Only the very small OV were left so the RCCL agent (direct with RCCL) avised that I may be best to go gty as there was a chance bigger room that way The difference in price at the time was very little and not why I chose the gty.

3 thought that as in the usa once my room got assigned if a disabled room came up I could swap - This is only for north america - And I admit it is my stupid fault not to have check to see if the uk bookings are different to what I had read on here.

4. I was hoping that RCCL could at least check my booking call (they say they are recorded and see I was badly advised and they could also check what non GTY was at the time and at least allow me to pay that)

5. They will probably now sell that cabin to someone who doesn't even need it - and that is what anoys me most.

6. I am new to RCCL and in fact this will be only my 3rd ever cruise - so l am learning and now know that I should book through the USA as prices and conditions are better.

Edited by fragilek

It is a Royal issue

Here`s is a quote from the UK rules

1.11 Can I make changes to my booking after it has been confirmed?

Should you wish to make any changes to your confirmed holiday, you must notify us in writing as soon as possible. Whilst we will

endeavour to assist, we cannot guarantee we will be able to meet any such requests. For guests wishing to make a significant

amendment to their booking outside of 56 days from departure, such as changing the ship, sail date or brand, please note that a

booking transfer fee is applicable. The transfer fee is £75 per guest which is limited to the first two guests on a booking, therefore any

3rd/4th guests will not be charged. Please note:, the transfer fee is a non-refundable amount, which will be included in any cancellation

charges as in point 1.10 above. Please note: that your booking will be re-priced in-line with the up-to-date business and price rules and

a new confirmation invoice will be issued. For all minor changes (such as change of stateroom or name changes on an existing

booking) outside of 56 days from departure, an amendment fee of £35 per guest per booking will be payable together with any costs

incurred by ourselves and any costs or charges incurred or imposed by any of our suppliers.

It must have something to do with being a gty or the rules have changed.

Could you advise how this is possibly a UK issue and NOT a Royal issue??

Last time I checked there were no UK policy/law/regulation's that stated if you book a vacation in the UK and want to make a change to your booking you will be shafted for 'X' amount.

Sometimes you can change without issues and sometimes you can't no mater how much you tell them they are wrong.

In my experience it is because the Representative on the other end of the phone is not fully conversant with what can and cannot be done.

I am sure you have read on here countless times where you call in and are given one lot of advice only to ring back and be told something completely different!

In the past we have rang in to take advantage of a price drop and have changed to a higher cat without any penalties or amendment fees, despite what it may say in the UK 'rules'.

On another occasion the reps insisted we had to cancel and rebook, thus losing the deposit...!!!

Only today we had the necessity to ring UK Customer Services (I know they are not based in the UK any more) about an issue unrelated to this thread, but during the conversation we were told that even with a UK booking, you can make one change to the booking without any penalty, whether that be changing cabin in the same category or taking advantage of a price drop!

I am not blaming anyone specifically, but it is about time that these issues and inconsistencies were properly addressed so that the Customer Service reps can give accurate and correct information AND customers are treates fairly and consistently regarding what can and can't be done.

Could you advise how this is possibly a UK issue and NOT a Royal issue??

Last time I checked there were no UK policy/law/regulation's that stated if you book a vacation in the UK and want to make a change to your booking you will be shafted for 'X' amount.

Sometimes you can change without issues and sometimes you can't no mater how much you tell them they are wrong.

In my experience it is because the Representative on the other end of the phone is not fully conversant with what can and cannot be done.

I am sure you have read on here countless times where you call in and are given one lot of advice only to ring back and be told something completely different!

In the past we have rang in to take advantage of a price drop and have changed to a higher cat without any penalties or amendment fees, despite what it may say in the UK 'rules'.

On another occasion the reps insisted we had to cancel and rebook, thus losing the deposit...!!!

Only today we had the necessity to ring UK Customer Services (I know they are not based in the UK any more) about an issue unrelated to this thread, but during the conversation we were told that even with a UK booking, you can make one change to the booking without any penalty, whether that be changing cabin in the same category or taking advantage of a price drop!

I am not blaming anyone specifically, but it is about time that these issues and inconsistencies were properly addressed so that the Customer Service reps can give accurate and correct information AND customers are treates fairly and consistently regarding what can and can't be done.

Well said.

I feel for the OP. If the disabled cabin is the same category then they should allow the switch. US bookings are so much more flexible. I would post this on RCIs facebook page to try and guilt them into assisting. Good luck.

I feel for the op too. Good advice to post on Royal's Facebook page

......we were told that even with a UK booking, you can make one change to the booking without any penalty, whether that be changing cabin in the same category or taking advantage of a price drop!

It is my understanding that the one free change is a perk available only to D+ and P status and the rules posted by trojan3000 are the norm.

I am so sorry you feel that you are being discriminated against. I understand your feelings. However, changes are not always allowed in the US either. We have had times where they allowed us to change (within the same category) once a GTY cabin has been assigned. However, we have been denied several times also. A GTY is a guarantee and IF they allow the change then they are "being nice". In one instance we had 4 cabins as a guarantee. (All different couples, different last names, etc.) They allowed one couple to change but denied the remaining requests.

How soon is your cruise? How long ago did you book?

Unfortunately, I seriously doubt they could go back and find that "recorded call". I think a lot of times companies just have that on there to make you think they do. Even if they did actually record the call back then, I seriously doubt that they still have it around. It probably "self-destructs" (erases or is written over) after a certain timeframe.

If you have documentation from your doctor evidencing the requirement for a handicap room, then I would make a call to the "Resolutions" Department and see if they can assist you. Offer to email or fax the documentation to them. No guarantees they will make the change but worth a try. Hopefully someone else won't snatch up the cabin before you can get to them.

Since this is a hospitality industry it's a shame that one employee on the phone cannot

be empowered to say "Let me see what I can do to get this changed for you,at minimal

cost, so that your cruise with us will be more enjoyable" instead of sticking rigidly to

rules . All he is asking for is a little help, to move into a VACANT room. Is it really beyond RCCL management to accommodate him?

I suspect that the problem is that they booked a GTY. While the difference was not that much when they booked, a change from a GTY booking to a selected room booking would be a different fare and would be booked at whatever fare is in place on the date the change is made. So they would need to pay that difference.

Since they booked a guarantee I can see why the cruise line is not willing to make the change because they apparently could get by without accessible cabin (otherwise why would they book GTY).

Bottom line is they got bad advice from the customer service rep (haven't we all at one time or another). Next time if a accessible cabin is truly needed don't book unless one is available. I would expect that since people that do not need accessible cabins have been booted out of them when other have needed them the cruise line must have a way of dealing with them (waiting list or some other process). I would contact resolutions, explain the situation and ask for the next time what process they have when no accessible cabins show up as available. If there is some kind of waiting list. If you take that approach, asking how to prevent the problem from occurring again in the future they might also be more willing to be more flexible this time.

Let me tell you our experience with RCI and a disabled stateroom.

We booked a cruise through a TA for Independence of the seas in 2013.

The travel agent sorted all our reservations for us, chose our stateroom etc.

We looked up our room on the deck plans as you do and it we appeared to have been booked into a disabled room.

Thankfully neither of us are disabled and we never expressed a wish for this type of room.

Here is where things got very silly.

We requested that we could change rooms so any disabled person would and should have better use than usthan our booked room.

Because we are from the UK, the option given, were to cancel and loose our deposit!! And rebook paying another deposit.

Passengers from the UK do not have the option to cancel or change staterooms without a financial penalty.

As loosing the deposit appeared unfair and not an option we kept the disabled room, but felt disappointed that RCI couldn't help.

Fast forward to embarkation day, we again offered to change staterooms if it would be helpful to another fellow passenger. We went to our staeroom , obviously larger than usual presumably to accomadate a wheelchair.

In the very next stateroom was a disabled child in a wheelchair on holiday with her parents, they were struggling to get through the door with her chair.

We offered to swap rooms , which after going to guest services they allowed us to do with no charge as we were on board.

Due to this we have met 3 wonderful people from Florida who are now great friends with us and we have met 3 times since :)

So I can sympathise with the problem you encountered..UK cruisers do appear to be at a disadvantage at times

Let me tell you our experience with RCI and a disabled stateroom.

We booked a cruise through a TA for Independence of the seas in 2013.

The travel agent sorted all our reservations for us, chose our stateroom etc.

We looked up our room on the deck plans as you do and it we appeared to have been booked into a disabled room.

Thankfully neither of us are disabled and we never expressed a wish for this type of room.

Here is where things got very silly.

We requested that we could change rooms so any disabled person would and should have better use than usthan our booked room.

Because we are from the UK, the option given, were to cancel and loose our deposit!! And rebook paying another deposit.

Passengers from the UK do not have the option to cancel or change staterooms without a financial penalty.

As loosing the deposit appeared unfair and not an option we kept the disabled room, but felt disappointed that RCI couldn't help.

Fast forward to embarkation day, we again offered to change staterooms if it would be helpful to another fellow passenger. We went to our staeroom , obviously larger than usual presumably to accomadate a wheelchair.

In the very next stateroom was a disabled child in a wheelchair on holiday with her parents, they were struggling to get through the door with her chair.

We offered to swap rooms , which after going to guest services they allowed us to do with no charge as we were on board.

Due to this we have met 3 wonderful people from Florida who are now great friends with us and we have met 3 times since :)

So I can sympathise with the problem you encountered..UK cruisers do appear to be at a disadvantage at times

Good for you! I bet you made their holiday soooo much easier. Your story was even crazier than mine- they wanted to charge you to help someone else out - insane!! It is like they are robots an can not apply common sense to any issues. The UK booking conditions are unfair we will not book through the UK again. (if we ever decide to use RCI again) Lesson well learned use a TA in the USA. May be if more UK people did this they would start to supply us with a level playing field both wrt prices and conditions.