Changes to waitstaff tipping policy

wattsde

Anyone who "prepays" gratuities or elects Select dining (and thus has to prepay them) can not modify them on board.

Actually they can. They can have them removed, however, if they do so then they have to go back to tradional dining and cannot use the Select dining area. They are allocated whatever time and table is available in the MDR. If you wish to dine in Select you cannot remove the tips. This information came from a hotel director so I'm pretty sure it is correct.

When you go to a restaurant, grocery store, shopping in general, do you get into the businesses methods of operating, I don't think so. That being the case, why should we try and get into the business of interfering with how the cruise line operates its business. They have set gratuities you either pay in advance or have added to your account, and if you want to give additional, it's your business. It is not our business how they distribute, the market will dictate wether it's working correctly or not.

Exactly.:D

Of course it has to do with nationalities but I don't look upon it as a bad thing, just that some countries such as yours don't have a tipping philosophy or a history of tipping. Look what happened several years ago when Eclipse was launched and homeported in England. The first year they did the normal percent added to drinks purchased on board and there were loads of complaints from the Brits. Second year, Celebrity just folded the gratuity into the price and there were very few complaints. Also, have seen numerous complaints on here since Solstice is down under, definitely a nationality thing but as I said and please don't take this wrong, this is not necessarily a bad thing.

I agree that tipping culture may be a nationality issue, but when it comes to who actually is removing tips and who doesn't that is an individual decision. Yes, a lot of people from non tipping cultures complain about the tips, only some people actually remove them. I have known and seen many people from countries that do tip and they still remove their tips. Like I said it is some people, not some countries. Please do not tar us all with the same brush when there are plenty of people who 'Do as the romans do' when traveling and follow what is the norm for that country or culture.:D

I agree that tipping culture may be a nationality issue, but when it comes to who actually is removing tips and who doesn't that is an individual decision. Yes, a lot of people from non tipping cultures complain about the tips, only some people actually remove them. I have known and seen many people from countries that do tip and they still remove their tips. Like I said it is some people, not some countries. Please do not tar us all with the same brush when there are plenty of people who 'Do as the romans do' when traveling and follow what is the norm for that country or culture.:D

I often wonder how many of those who remove all tips find that their luggage seems to disappear when they disembark?

This includes tips for the specialty restaurant waiters which would go into the same “pool” as the main dining room tips. The only exception was any tips given to them personally in cash they could keep.

I am a little confused by the reference to the specialty restaurants. If one is in select dining, one Checks in with the hostess who prints a slip to hand to the waiter at your table. Why bother if all tips are shared in select?

If one is in the MDR for early or late dining we actually thought that our waiter was given our designated tip. If one pays for the up charge to eat in a restaurant such as Murano, we thought that part of that charge went for tips.

Do all waiters share in Murano tips? So if we are handed a bill in Murano to add an additional tip for the somalier and waiter, this will now be shared with every waiter not just in Murano but every waiter on board?

I often wonder how many of those who remove all tips find that their luggage seems to disappear when they disembark?

If that's true [and I don't believe it is] it isn't tipping it's bribery and corruption.

I am a little confused by the reference to the specialty restaurants. If one is in select dining, one Checks in with the hostess who prints a slip to hand to the waiter at your table. Why bother if all tips are shared in select?

If one is in the MDR for early or late dining we actually thought that our waiter was given our designated tip. If one pays for the up charge to eat in a restaurant such as Murano, we thought that part of that charge went for tips.

Do all waiters share in Murano tips? So if we are handed a bill in Murano to add an additional tip for the somalier and waiter, this will now be shared with every waiter not just in Murano but every waiter on board?

While many will give you a "definite" answer, the truth is we simply don't know, the ships are certainly not forthcoming about it and I suspect that some of the staff will tell you whatever they think will lead to greater tips.

Anyone who "prepays" gratuities or elects Select dining (and thus has to prepay them) can not modify them on board.

Actually they can. They can have them removed, however, if they do so then they have to go back to tradional dining and cannot use the Select dining area. They are allocated whatever time and table is available in the MDR. If you wish to dine in Select you cannot remove the tips. This information came from a hotel director so I'm pretty sure it is correct.

This raises a good question....where does one find out that Select Dining prepaid gratuities can not be refunded? I've been scouring the website and can't find it anyplace, never mentioned during booking process, and doesn't seem to be in the T&C we have to agree to with a checkbox when booking (I clicked the hyperlink to try to find it, and didn't ...) There's not even a hyperlink on Select dining to say anything about gratuities and the policy.

My experience was on a cruise in November, a tablemate (we were Late, not Select seating) wanted to remove gratuities as he had several service issues.

He went to guest services on the 2nd day of a 7 day cruise and they absolutely refused to adjust.

I myself have never adjusted tips so have no clue how it works other than reading here and seeing how others handle it on board. It'd take a lot of problems to occur for me to do so, and it'd happen only after I talked to someone about the issues and gave a chance for corrections.

If that's true [and I don't believe it is] it isn't tipping it's bribery and corruption.

Your disembarkation luggage tags might seem to mysterically disappear from your luggage and enter into some "black hole" which could take hours to find. Ouch, if you have early travel plans.

That's a comforting thought to me. Some people get what they deserve. Life catches up with these characters sooner than later I hope.

That's a comforting thought to me. Some people get what they deserve. Life catches up with these characters sooner than later I hope.

the problem with Karma is that often you are not around to see them have there comeuppance.

We just got off Reflection Saturday. The hot topic among the waiters was that they had just been told that starting next month they would no longer keep their individual tips: all tips that went on a shipboard account would be pooled and split equally among all wait staff. So if one waiter had two tables of eight and another had only one table of six: they would get the same tip. This includes tips for the specialty restaurant waiters which would go into the same “pool” as the main dining room tips. The only exception was any tips given to them personally in cash they could keep. The waiters were quite agitated with many threatening not to renew their contracts. They universally felt this would lead to degradation in service since there was no longer any incentive for working harder. This makes me wonder what else is in store…

This is my first post, I have never been on a cruise but going on Infinity Inside passage in August. I am a little confused about tipping, was told by booking agent I would be given a card to use and this already had tips taken out and would be shared among all staff. Can someone please clarify

We just got off Reflection Saturday. The hot topic among the waiters was that they had just been told that starting next month they would no longer keep their individual tips: all tips that went on a shipboard account would be pooled and split equally among all wait staff. So if one waiter had two tables of eight and another had only one table of six: they would get the same tip. This includes tips for the specialty restaurant waiters which would go into the same “pool” as the main dining room tips. The only exception was any tips given to them personally in cash they could keep. The waiters were quite agitated with many threatening not to renew their contracts. They universally felt this would lead to degradation in service since there was no longer any incentive for working harder. This makes me wonder what else is in store…

This is my first post, I have never been on a cruise but going on Infinity Inside passage in August. I am a little confused about tipping, was told by booking agent I would be given a card to use and this already had tips taken out and would be shared among all staff. Can someone please clarify

Firstly welcome to cruise critic.:D

Secondly, you will be issued with a sea pass card that operates as your room key as well as a credit/debit card while on board. Basically, you use the card to purchase anything on board (instead of cash) and it will be attributed to your account. Gratuities will be added to your account on a daily basis along with any purchases, like drinks, shorex, shopping onboard, spa, gifts, specialty restaurants, etc. At the end of the cruise, your credit card will be debited what is on your account.

Welcome to Cruise Critic. You have not chosen a great thread to introduce yourself - tipping threads can bring out the worst in members. Please do not judge us all by what you may read here!

This may be a difficult question to answer without knowing what/how you have booked but I will try!

Your booking will include your cruise and, possibly, a number of other items. One of these other items may be the "gratuities" aka "On Board Service Charge". You may either pay the "gratuities" in advance or, alternatively, as a daily charge on your on board account. These "gratuities" basically cover your dining wait staff and stateroom attendants [plus a few other "background" personnel] but not "gratuities" on any extras you purchase on board such as alcoholic drinks and spa treatments.

If you have booked with a "123" offer, you may have gratuities and/or beverage package included.

I hope that helps but, if not, please return with more details of your reservation.

Unless you actively stop tips being charged to your ship board account you will be just fine on board the ship.

On board the forum you will be dammed without the merest shred of evidence.

Edited by Adidas4fun

Thank you all for your comments, I bought a package land and sea tour and it said all gratuities included.!!

Like Insaid never done a cruise before but We are widely travelled, last tour India (land) had a tip kitty to "save us the problem of hoe much to tip " what a joke they still stood there with hands out, so would rather just tip as we go

Thank you all for your comments, I bought a package land and sea tour and it said all gratuities included.!!

Like Insaid never done a cruise before but We are widely travelled, last tour India (land) had a tip kitty to "save us the problem of hoe much to tip " what a joke they still stood there with hands out, so would rather just tip as we go

Just as when you check into a property on a land vacation, you will be given a 'door key', it is called a Sea Pass. It is your on property, ie: on ship, identification and charge card. No need to leave the cabin with anything else. Your agent must have booked you during one of the 123 Pick Your Perk sale programs. Gratuaties included in the price of the cruise was one of the items that could be picked. You will never have the problem of any staff on ship with their hand out like on a land vacation.

Please stop back after you return and give us your thoughts.

That's how I feel also I tip well those who give me service. If they feel like giving to others it is up to them.

I have all tips removed from my bill and give to the stewards / servers. I look at this as no different than at a restaurant I tip at point of service. Splitting of tips is up to person receiving from there.