I think my calendar is broken

newbieafloat

... because the 27th is taking way too long to get here :D :D

Just over a week to go to not just my first cruise, but my first "proper" holiday in over a decade, and I'm sooooo excited. It's on my mind all day every day, but in a good way. Even if the food was poor, and the weather lousy, or any other gripe which might irritate a frequent traveller, I'll happy as a pig in the proverbial. I don't mind if things don't go to plan, it all adds to the adventure.

Lists made, clothes bought, excursions booked, passport replaced, coach arranged, toiletries sorted, shoes polished, come on 27th.... get a shift on!

... because the 27th is taking way too long to get here :D :D

Just over a week to go to not just my first cruise, but my first "proper" holiday in over a decade, and I'm sooooo excited. It's on my mind all day every day, but in a good way. Even if the food was poor, and the weather lousy, or any other gripe which might irritate a frequent traveller, I'll happy as a pig in the proverbial. I don't mind if things don't go to plan, it all adds to the adventure.

Lists made, clothes bought, excursions booked, passport replaced, coach arranged, toiletries sorted, shoes polished, come on 27th.... get a shift on!

You're a "the bigger the problems the better the stories" type of person. No doubt you'll have a great holiday.

You're a "the bigger the problems the better the stories" type of person. No doubt you'll have a great holiday.

Not a bad way to sum up :D

Most problems tend not to be caused by the situation, but how the situation is responded to. I'm generally flexible enough to incorporate surprises rather than waste time getting frustrated with minor niggles and impromptu changes. So long as the water stays below the ship rather than above it, I'll take most other things in my stride. :)

You'll have a great time I'm sure and will get hooked on cruising as we have done. Hope to see you on board, this time next week we will be packing suitcases, sorting out my plants etc.

House plants I don't need to worry about. I only have a dwarf pomegranate, and a good watering sometime next week will see it through.

Thankfully the garden kind of looks after itself this time of year too. The fruit trees and bushes are just coming into bud, and everything else is still dormant. I have ordered some more stuff to go in, but having them delivered to a relative to look after till I get back.

Thanks fellow star sign :D

It's getting wierd now, in as much as not having had an overseas jaunt for 15 years it hasn't really (until the last day or so) felt entirely real. The cost of it all has seemed completely real, but not the upcoming cruise. Almost like there'll be an "ah well, never mind" moment due to happen where the nice idea all fizzles out.

A relative passed away recently, and today I discovered that the funeral will be when I am away. I asked my parents to pass on my apologies as I would be in Barcelona at the time.... and was then hit by the reality that I WOULD actually be in Barcelona!!! It's a pity I can't be there to pay my respects, but I will raise a glass to him onboard

Thanks fellow star sign :D

It's getting wierd now, in as much as not having had an overseas jaunt for 15 years it hasn't really (until the last day or so) felt entirely real. The cost of it all has seemed completely real, but not the upcoming cruise. Almost like there'll be an "ah well, never mind" moment due to happen where the nice idea all fizzles out.

A relative passed away recently, and today I discovered that the funeral will be when I am away. I asked my parents to pass on my apologies as I would be in Barcelona at the time.... and was then hit by the reality that I WOULD actually be in Barcelona!!! It's a pity I can't be there to pay my respects, but I will raise a glass to him onboard

And I'm another Scorpio! Water sign - that's my excuse for loving the sea so much! I know what you mean about can't believe it's happening, I've been on 2 7 nighters and a 4 night cruise - none of them really warm cruises. This year we're going on a 12 night cruise to the Canaries and I can't really believe it will happen!

Sorry you're missing the funeral but I'm sure you'll have a brilliant cruise.

Newbieafloat.

Take a fridge magnate or two with you they are great for keeping the horizon daily paper, film guide, etc fixed to the cabin walls. Yes they are magnetic. :D

----------------------------------

Edited by Scorpio41

Not packed, but all about ready to pack and will be making a proper start this evening. I had a frantic hour or so yesterday, rummaging through every drawer, bag and cupboard in the house, trying to track down some illusive items. Travel binoculars, travel sewing kit, and cufflinks all sorted. Collar stiffeners still playing hard to get...

Not packed, but all about ready to pack and will be making a proper start this evening. I had a frantic hour or so yesterday, rummaging through every drawer, bag and cupboard in the house, trying to track down some illusive items. Travel binoculars, travel sewing kit, and cufflinks all sorted. Collar stiffeners still playing hard to get...

I'd love to hear how you get on. I hope you write a review.

Have a great holiday.

I take a small extension lead with extra sockets for charging camera, laptop etc

(I don't use the ships wifi just follow the ships crew they always find free wifi.)

I buy the ships magnets on board for the cabin walls.:o

A couple of cheap blank cards for table guests birthdays or anniversaries (on board shops never have the one you need)

Alarm clock for making sure I don't miss the early trip starts

Small torch. :confused: well you never know. :p

There are lots of places to go and meet up with other solo travellers, you can join in a little or as much as you like.

Another one of the joys of cruising is you already have the style of holiday in common with everybody else on board. Don't listen to the moaners every cruise has those, ignore and move on.

You'll have a great time.

I know for the afternoon tea they always have some tables reserved for solo travellers. Check in The Horizon delivered to your room the night before, sometimes they leave it in your letter slot outside the door if they can't get in the room.

Oooooh not long now!!!

Im excited for you. Am I right in thinking you are doing spain, italy and portugal on Ventura??

barcelona you can do free walking tours....(suggested donation 12 euro) no booking, just turn up...google it.....runner bean tours I think or free walking tours barcelona

monte carlo....hop on hop off bus (12 euro again!) stay on the bus for a complete circuit, then next time hop on and off where you fancy (google tom's port guides)

Have a wonderful time and share your experience on your return.

Bon Voyage!! :)

Once again, thanks for all the great replies. Very excited now!!!

Yes, some sort of write up will be done on my return

I've seen an older Horizon which shows coffee morning type meet ups for solo cruisers. I'll see what's actually available when I get on board.

Already booked excursions for Barcelona and Monte Carlo, and will cover these in my write up.

I've decided not to bother with extension leads/adaptors. I'm pretty certain I can handle all my charging needs without. The camera and video camera charge up quite quickly, and I'll not be using the phone much other than for an alarm clock. The only other thing I have to charge up is e-cig batteries, but that uses the same USB plug as my phone, just with a different lead. Besides which, it just seems a bulky heavy item for the use it will get.

Whatever happens, I'll enjoy it. I'm very good at taking things in my stride and not being put off by things that aren't to plan or whatever. I'll be sure to feedback once I get back to Blighty

Hi Newbieafloat - have a wonderful time - I am sure you will, and be sure to tell us all about it when you get back. I still have another 43 sleeps to go before my first cruise of the year...:)

One thing I found whilst on board is that if you don't switch your phone off, it is constantly "hunting" for a signal and the battery didn't last very long - certainly ran down quicker than normal. It's not quite so bad on port days but could be a problem at sea. just worth keeping an eye on.

Bon Voyage!

Once again, thanks for all the great replies. Very excited now!!!

Yes, some sort of write up will be done on my return

I've seen an older Horizon which shows coffee morning type meet ups for solo cruisers. I'll see what's actually available when I get on board.

Already booked excursions for Barcelona and Monte Carlo, and will cover these in my write up.

I've decided not to bother with extension leads/adaptors. I'm pretty certain I can handle all my charging needs without. The camera and video camera charge up quite quickly, and I'll not be using the phone much other than for an alarm clock. The only other thing I have to charge up is e-cig batteries, but that uses the same USB plug as my phone, just with a different lead. Besides which, it just seems a bulky heavy item for the use it will get.

Whatever happens, I'll enjoy it. I'm very good at taking things in my stride and not being put off by things that aren't to plan or whatever. I'll be sure to feedback once I get back to Blighty

The cabin phone normally has an alarm built in.