Cut off when obviously intoxicated

camarowesley

I think if their drunkenness is to the point of causing possible danger to others or themselves, yes, they should probably be cut off.

Bartenders on land have to cut off patrons when they feel they have exceeded their limit and could pose a danger to others.

Obviously those on a cruise cannot go out and drive off in a car and cause a drunk driving accident, they can still be a threat to others by doing very potentially harmful things.

It's not about ruining their fun or taking away their 'right' to drink as much as they please, it's about concern for the safety of that individual and others, most importantly.

Alcohol obviously impairs your judgement...on a cruise too much booze can lead to making really stupid choices, like sexual assault, violent fights, acting dumb and climbing on railings/leaning over too far, causing property damage, etc. If people find their behavior concerning, it's time to cut them off.

Edited by HollandAvery

I think if their drunkenness is to the point of causing possible danger to others or themselves, yes, they should probably be cut off.

Bartenders on land have to cut off patrons when they feel they have exceeded their limit and could pose a danger to others.

Obviously those on a cruise cannot go out and drive off in a car and cause a drunk driving accident, they can still be a threat to others by doing very potentially harmful things.

It's not about ruining their fun or taking away their 'right' to drink as much as they please, it's about concern for the safety of that individual and others, most importantly.

Alcohol obviously impairs your judgement...on a cruise too much booze can lead to making really stupid choices, like sexual assault, violent fights, acting dumb and climbing on railings/leaning over too far, causing property damage, etc. If people find their behavior concerning, it's time to cut them off.

I agree although may be very hard to do in the vacation situation....they can at least stop serving...and give individual a fighting chance to consider where they are heading...and family or friends a chance to help them stop for a bit...a few minutes can avoid many disasters in blessed moments of even partial lucidity on the part of friends, family, or passengers who feel up to challenge.

Due to the above average number of guest going overboard, and a lot of people having the opinion it's mostly related to people over indulging, do you think Carnival should cut people off when they are obviously intoxicated? I personally witnessed a man so drunk he passed out on a table on the lido deck by the bar. We watched people come by and take selfies with him, one person going so far as to lift his head (by a handful of hair). While it was funny to watch at the time, espically when he woke up and didnt have a clue where he was, we wouldn't be laughing if he had gone overboard. Curious as to what others think.

They do cut people off. Although they don't always check to make sure the person is actually drunk. I have an old sports injury that causes my knee to dislocate (it goes right back in no problem) and I'll stumble. I was on the Splendor last October with a couple of friends and unfortunately, this happened right infront of ship's security. They immediately grabbed me and took me to my cabin, confiscated the free bottle of champagne I'd gotten and the bottle I'd bought (and hardly drank) from Bon Voyage and cut me off for the rest of the cruise. This was day 2 or 3 of an 8 day cruise. They refused to refund my Cheers Program. I tried to explain and while they said they understood and were listening, they said it while I was still talking. Definatly doesn't sound like listening and understanding to me. I was SO angry!! :mad: However, I still love Carnival as I understand that it was just those particular Security people who were a**holes. I really am looking forward to my next 2 Carnival cruises!! :D

That being said, if someone really is overly drunk, they should cut them off (at least for 24 hours) for their own safety and the safety of everyone else onboard (both passengers and crew).

They do cut people off. Although they don't always check to make sure the person is actually drunk. I have an old sports injury that causes my knee to dislocate (it goes right back in no problem) and I'll stumble. I was on the Splendor last October with a couple of friends and unfortunately, this happened right infront of ship's security. They immediately grabbed me and took me to my cabin, confiscated the free bottle of champagne I'd gotten and the bottle I'd bought (and hardly drank) from Bon Voyage and cut me off for the rest of the cruise. This was day 2 or 3 of an 8 day cruise.

Really sorry that happened to you. I'd have been SUPER upset. It DOES happen, though. I met a lady on our first cruise who'd tripped over the I-don't-know-what-the-nautical-term-for-it-is lip at the bottom of the door to the ladies' room on lido. They'd suspended her drinking privileges for the remainder of the cruise, and she was nowhere near drunk.

I met a lady on our first cruise who'd tripped over the I-don't-know-what-the-nautical-term-for-it-is lip at the bottom of the door to the ladies' room on lido.

Sorry, the nautical term is a closely held secret amongst us mariners, only used in conjunction with the secret handshake, but to you landlubbers, we refer to them as "thresholds". ;)

Really sorry that happened to you. I'd have been SUPER upset. It DOES happen, though. I met a lady on our first cruise who'd tripped over the I-don't-know-what-the-nautical-term-for-it-is lip at the bottom of the door to the ladies' room on lido. They'd suspended her drinking privileges for the remainder of the cruise, and she was nowhere near drunk.

Thanks!! Haha, SUPER upset is an understatement. :mad: I was really grumpy the rest of the cruise but still tried to make the best of it. I could still drink in our ports all except Half Moon Cay since it's run by Carnival and you use your S&S card to buy drinks there, not cash. It's good to know I'm not alone or the only one to have that problem. I feel so bad for that lady as I know how it feels. Was she ok after her trip and fall? I hope she didn't hurt herself. I hate those things!! Yes, I think the other poster is right, they are called Thresholds. I however, just call them annoying. What ship were you on by the way? Just wondering if all Ship Security staff are a**holes who don't bother to check first or if it's just the Splendor.

But WHY do they just cut people off and don't bother to check to see if they're really drunk or not? And then let people who really are drunk just keep drinking? Makes no sense to me. :confused:

I'm sure they need to be aware of over serving inebriated passengers just like bars in many places throughout the world. Many countries have laws regarding the liability of a server/bar when they serve patrons who shouldn't be drinking anymore.

At one time this was what Carnival said and I'm sure it is still very similar.

Carnival encourages the responsible use of alcohol and accordingly reserves the right to permanently or temporarily revoke the drinking privileges of any guest who violates Carnival’s Guest Ticket Contract or who is deemed a danger to himself, herself or others by vessel management. Continued abuse of alcohol while sailing and/or violation of Carnival’s alcohol policy may result in immediate disembarkation.

I've seen several carnival bartenders refuse service to those who are obviously too drunk. That does not stop their buddy from buying or from the person making one in their own in the room (smuggled stash). In my experience at least with inside bars, the bar tenders do a great job refusing service. What ever happened to personal responsibility anyway?

I think they pretty much serve as long as one is sober enough to sign for the tip! I once saw the disco bartenders sell 2 cases of beer to a stumbling drunk when the bar closed, so she could move the party to her stateroom. Oh, and she was a generous tipper.

I have an old sports injury that causes my knee to dislocate (it goes right back in no problem) and I'll stumble. I was on the Splendor last October with a couple of friends and unfortunately, this happened right infront of ship's security. They immediately grabbed me and took me to my cabin, confiscated the free bottle of champagne I'd gotten and the bottle I'd bought (and hardly drank) from Bon Voyage and cut me off for the rest of the cruise.

Had something along those lines occur to me some decades ago. I was at a party and a friend pretended to throw a punch at me. I moved my chin back one inch to make room for his fist, which did not touch me.

My knee locked and I slid to the floor. He stood over me with a shocked look on his face saying "I didn't hit him. I didn't hit him."

Imagine what would have happened if I'd hit my head and got injured seriously. He might have incurred bad consequences from circumstantial evidence. As it happened I slumped down a wall and was fine.

Freak accidents don't happen very often, but once in a while your eyes will tell you a false story. Suppose that should remind us to be slow to judge.

While docked in Cozumel there was a passenger taken by Ambulance away from the port. Never heard an official explanation, but tbe rumor was it was a female Spring Breaker that was so intoxicated that she didn't make it back to the ship. If that's the case, I hope she had trip insurance and a passport. Who knows, there may even be laws about public intoxication, good luck raising tbe money to pay ransom.... err I mean bail.

I'm sure they need to be aware of over serving inebriated passengers just like bars in many places throughout the world. Many countries have laws regarding the liability of a server/bar when they serve patrons who shouldn't be drinking anymore.

At one time this was what Carnival said and I'm sure it is still very similar.

I think that making a comparison between land-based bars and cruise bars is inaccurate. At a land-based bar, the server has to assume that the patron may be driving home, and thus should cut off a passenger that has over-indulged. But on a ship, no one has to drive home. Two different worlds IMO.

No. Intoxicated customers is Carnival at it's finest. Carnival needs more bars and buffets slinging cheap booze and food. The gentleman at the table was enjoying his vacation to the fullest.. You should have ordered him another beer when he woke up.

LOL....unfortunately occasionally the truth..but pretty occasionally thank God.

I think that making a comparison between land-based bars and cruise bars is inaccurate. At a land-based bar, the server has to assume that the patron may be driving home, and thus should cut off a passenger that has over-indulged. But on a ship, no one has to drive home. Two different worlds IMO.

I agree here....however; I am happy to have read some posters witnessing cutoffs...after being a hospital ward aide during school and having this issue with a very few family members (thank heavens) and having lost one....there is a cutoff point that is not always obvious but when noticeable and the amount witnessed and decline apparent; the bartenders can avoid some serious fallout. It is not always easy though...and what we have in our individual metabolism systems at any time can vary so much to stop the worst happening.

Edited by sjn911

There are enough rules already. Drink responsibly... That onus is on each of us and watch out for those we are traveling with and for ourselves. The mindset we can get out of control and it is someone else's responsibility to protect us is an illusion anyways.

This whole conversation got me to reading an article in the Atlantic on the current science behind "Alcohol Use Disorder"; newest DSM5 term; and science and medicine versus current treatment in US and how many miles apart we all are... in meeting of the minds and treatment modalities used.

Interesting article.

I maintain..it is an illness as this article agrees and agrees with that first tenant in AA....for it to be seen as an illness while the rest is interesting on how many people AA truly is the answer for...not taking away from it personally as one success model. It has to be a personal responsibility thing on many levels...but problem is...it really is not just that..there is huge chemistry behind it not studied enough..and to me; it is like saying...."your heart disease and weight" is all your issue and responsibility. None of us is perfect in being our brother's keepers but..we can be helpers....from the bartender to the family to friends and ourselves and our mutual safety depends upon it. IMHO.

Edited by sjn911

No. Intoxicated customers is Carnival at it's finest. Carnival needs more bars and buffets slinging cheap booze and food. The gentleman at the table was enjoying his vacation to the fullest.. You should have ordered him another beer when he woke up.

What an ignorant comment.

I disagree. Land-based bars, in many areas, are required to cut people off for more reasons than the possibility of a drunk driver. Given Carnival and I'm sure other cruise lines as well maintain the right to stop serving, I think they are worried about it as well.

I can see cutting someone off for the day, but for the remainder of an 8 day cruise?

That's a little extreme IMO.

That may seem extreme. However, Carnival rarely cuts people off from drinking. When they do its a decision to no longer accept any more risk from that passenger the rest of cruise. Their level of intoxication must have been severe and their behavior so alarming that they were under scrutiny.

Please, no flames about the 2 people in the past 5 years that tripped on something, fell, and were cut off even though they were not intoxicated.

I have seen a couple of serious accidents/incidents occur on ships whether or not alcohol related. If someone is not acting responsibly through intoxication the risk for incident or accident involving themselves and all others aboard greatly increases.

I am NOT tolerant of anyone that is out of control drunk, be it passing out, violence or un-safe behavior on board. It's their body, but I don't want me or my family and friends vacation to be negatively affected in any way by the consequences of their intoxication.

Edited by eponym

I am NOT tolerant of anyone that is out of control drunk, be it passing out, violence or un-safe behavior on board. It's their body, but I don't want me or my family and friends vacation to be negatively affected in any way by the consequences of their intoxication.

How does someone passing out and not bothering anyone have any negative impact on you and your associates? You do have the option of looking at something else instead of the drunk sleeping his booze off by the pool, don't you?