What Carnival Ship is sitting outside the port in Nassau

Jimbo

We are on Quantum of the Seas and have seen this Carnival ship coming into port of Nassau...............................It's been sitting out there for about 2 hours now..............Anyone know why it isn't coming into port?

Seems weird to be sitting out there all this time...............doesn't the captain know how to judge the speed of their ships to get into port at the exact time they are suppose to be in port.

Jimbo:)

According to marine traffic, it's the Sunshine. It's supposed to be on it's way from HMC to Freeport (today is a sea day).

Update: marine traffic is also showing Sunshine is headed into Nassau due to med evac.

Edited by joepeka

I have been watching and no little boats have not even come close to it. It's just sitting out there doing donuts. Pointing one way and then the other way.

Dude would be dead by now.

You can not see the Sunshine on the port webcam, it's not in the port, it's just sitting outside where you come into the port at.

When the webmaster swings the camera around, you can see everything,

including the wee lighthouse.

The lighthouse is off the aft of our ship. Sunshine is still sitting about 2 miles out. You won't be able to see it with the webcam I believe. It's 2 miles out behind those rows of homes.

The lighthouse is off the aft of our ship. Sunshine is still sitting about 2 miles out. You won't be able to see it with the webcam I believe. It's 2 miles out behind those rows of homes.

According to the little chart on the bottom under the camera, it is the Sunshine, and a medevac is being performed.

Well we sailed out and Sunshine is sailing in now to take our place. I swear there was an empty place to dock to go in earlier. Sure like to know why they didn't try to get the person off the ship earlier.

Oh well off to Bayonne, Nj we go. Heading home :(

Our captain just came on the PA.....we are leaving in about 15 minutes. I guess we are going to sail right by it. It is still just sitting out there.

Looks like it was waiting for Quantum to leave so it could perform a medevac.

Looks like it was waiting for Quantum to leave so it could perform a medevac.

There were five ships in port today and I think that is all Nassau can handle. I guess the med evacuation was not serious enough to justify sending a tender out to Sunshine? Or maybe tendering wasn't possible??

Sent from my Kindle Fire

There were five ships in port today and I think that is all Nassau can handle. I guess the med evacuation was not serious enough to justify sending a tender out to Sunshine? Or maybe tendering wasn't possible??

Sent from my Kindle Fire

I think you may be right, a Costa ship did come into port after we got off Quantum to go into town. That may have took the last spot I saw in the morning I saw open.

Winds have been light all day. Right now in fact winds are 1 mph. They should have had no problem tendering.

You would think it would cost less money to tender then dock the ship in port and pay a docking fee.

Donuts in the sea: After thinking about more they may have been doing donuts so people on each side of the ship get the sun and the shade on their balconies.

I think you may be right, a Costa ship did come into port after we got off Quantum to go into town. That may have took the last spot I saw in the morning I saw open.

Winds have been light all day. Right now in fact winds are 1 mph. They should have had no problem tendering.

You would think it would cost less money to tender then dock the ship in port and pay a docking fee.

Donuts in the sea: After thinking about more they may have been doing donuts so people on each side of the ship get the sun and the shade on their balconies.

I don't think the cost was a consideration. I believe it was determined that it was not sufficiently safe for the patient to be manhandled into and out of a small boat. Perhaps the island tender boats do not want the liability of carrying a medical case, and there was no government boat available? But I'd go with the need to stabilize the patient.

As for donuts. If the ship steams in slow circles, above about 2-3 knots, the rudders take effect, and they can use less power to maintain the circles than would be used with thrusters trying to maintain position.

We are on Quantum of the Seas and have seen this Carnival ship coming into port of Nassau...............................It's been sitting out there for about 2 hours now..............Anyone know why it isn't coming into port?

Seems weird to be sitting out there all this time...............doesn't the captain know how to judge the speed of their ships to get into port at the exact time they are suppose to be in port.

The sunshine was waiting for the pilot off your ship. It came in and left very quickly.

Cruise Critic is the best!

I was sitting here working (yeah ... right!) and had the Nassau webcam on a side computer. I'm watching the Quantum leave when I notice a Carnival ship approaching. "Odd arrival time," I thought.

As I said, I was working (sure ...), so I didn't see her leave. I only noticed she was gone when I looked up and saw the only ship still there is the Enchantment OTS. "???," thought I. But I knew I'd find something about it on Cruise Critic.

I was involved with a patient transfer at sea once.

1995, paramedic on Rescue 40 Hollywood Fire Department.

The call was for a man injured on a freighter outside Port Everglades.

WE responded to the Coast Guard station.

Hoper on a 40' ship, went out about 3 miles, the crew carried the patient

a gangway to our boat, about 25' long.

The ship never stopped.

The patient was driven to the hospital.

Diagnosis, he was tired of working on the ship.

PS, the guy was wrapped up like a papoose,

if he was dropped, right to the bottom.

I was on the Carnival Sunshine this day. We did have a medical emergency and had to come to Nassau. The port was full, so we had to wait until another ship left. We heard that a man had had a stroke and needed to get off the ship for a CT scan to check for a brain bleed. That has not been confirmed though. We came in, dropped off the patient and family members, and headed back out to sea. I did get some great pics from my balcony as we were waiting.