MDR with children at shared tables?

Our family is sailing the Fascination in May. We are taking our children (ages 8 and 9) with us for the first time.

On our previous cruises we have been seated at 8 to 12 person tables and have had a blast meeting and getting to know our table mates. However, we have always been seated with other adults - never children. I am a bit worried that on this cruise our family will end up being seated alone - not something we would prefer.

I was wondering what other's experiences have been as far as table selection when traveling with "older" children. Is there any way we can request a larger table beforehand? (fyi- we are assigned late seating, not a problem with my kids who are used to eating at 8pm. )

Thanks for your help!

I was wondering what other's experiences have been as far as table selection when traveling with "older" children. Is there any way we can request a larger table beforehand? (fyi- we are assigned late seating, not a problem with my kids who are used to eating at 8pm. )

Thanks for your help!

Not a problem. They tend to match up like groups. If you do get a table or group you don't gel with, the maitre d can move you with no problem.

I have had that issue in the past. We would always get seated at a table with all adults. One cruise we were seated with a family with children. Wasn't very enjoyable. We started taking our son with us when he turned 6. From that cruise forward we book your time dining and sit by ourselves so we don't inconvenience other people

Sent from my KFTT using Forums mobile app

I have had that issue in the past. We would always get seated at a table with all adults. One cruise we were seated with a family with children. Wasn't very enjoyable. We started taking our son with us when he turned 6. From that cruise forward we book your time dining and sit by ourselves so we don't inconvenience other people

Sent from my KFTT using Forums mobile app

I did think of this. We wouldn't want to be seated with couples as I know that many are child-free for the first time in who-knows-how-long and want to avoid children. Who can blame them?

But we would love to be seated with other families.

When we traveled with our daughter, we were assigned tables with adults that had children close in age to her.

Not a problem. They tend to match up like groups. If you do get a table or group you don't gel with, the maitre d can move you with no problem.

Thanks guys! This sounds very promising!

Most of our cruises we have been seated at a table for just our family, which is fine with us. On two cruises we were seated at a larger table with another family, which also was fine with us. Both times we were seated with families with kids of similar ages and we had a great time with both families.

Last year when we cruised, they had us sitting with two families with children similar in age to ours. One of the families was from the same state as us as well. Not sure if that was a coincidence or on purpose.

Edited by kmarie30

Our family is sailing the Fascination in May. We are taking our children (ages 8 and 9) with us for the first time.

On our previous cruises we have been seated at 8 to 12 person tables and have had a blast meeting and getting to know our table mates. However, we have always been seated with other adults - never children. I am a bit worried that on this cruise our family will end up being seated alone - not something we would prefer.

Thanks for your help!

Like you we prefer to sit with other people and families.

When we decided to reproduce and cruise, we have been placed more times by ourselves than with others; sometimes with other families, once with another family and another young couple. The young couple opted "out".

On the first day, go wait in line and talk to the Maitre'd. He/she can let you know if you are seated with others (and FWIW I have always found that they DO try to match families with other families) or by yourselves. If you want to be with others, ask to be moved and he will try to accommodate. Good luck!!

On the first day, go wait in line and talk to the Maitre'd. He/she can let you know if you are seated with others (and FWIW I have always found that they DO try to match families with other families) or by yourselves. If you want to be with others, ask to be moved and he will try to accommodate. Good luck!!

thanks for the advice. I think we will try this!

Last year when we cruised, they had us sitting with two families with children similar in age to ours. One of the families was from the same state as us as well. Not sure if that was a coincidence or on purpose.

This was our experience too. We were seated with two other families. one family lived about 10 miles from us. Our kids were all on fall break from school. The other family was mother, daughter, and grandkids, which was also how we were traveling on that trip.

All the kids were the same age and enjoyed rushing thru dinner and going to camp carnival together. :)