Will this get you excused from sailing Caribbean Princess

Pier Pressure 53

My daughter is leaving on a cruise tomorrow out of Ft. Lauderdale for the Western Caribbean.

She had a cold a few weeks ago that she has been over for the past week, but has a cough hanging on that won't go away. She is afraid if she shows up at the terminal with a cough she will be red tagged and not allowed to board, even though she is fine except for the hacking cough.

Has anyone run across this before, and does she run a chance of not being aloud to board?

My daughter is leaving on a cruise tomorrow out of Ft. Lauderdale for the Western Caribbean.

She had a cold a few weeks ago that she has been over for the past week, but has a cough hanging on that won't go away. She is afraid if she shows up at the terminal with a cough she will be red tagged and not allowed to board, even though she is fine except for the hacking cough.

Has anyone run across this before, and does she run a chance of not being aloud to board?

She may or may not be allowed to board. Does she have insurance? She may want to bring a doctor's note. Good luck to her.

Oh those darn hanging on coughs.:( Tell daughter to take some cough syrup (I find Delsym the best) about 20 minutes before getting to the Port in Fort Lauderdale, keep some hard candy handy and water. As long as she doesn't have any other symptoms, she will be fine.:)

She should also have cough syrup to take on the cruise with her. What they sell on board is Robitussin and is $12 for a small bottle. Why be miserable with a hacking cough?

When I have a cold my cough hangs on for months. I'm not sick. There is no temperature. There is nothing contagious about me. I just cough. How can that possibly affect anyone else? If OP is worried, take some cough medicine, have some water to keep your throat moist and yes, have a great cruise.

Everyone seems to have this cough and it doesn't go away fast. I agree with taking cough drops, a bottle of water and some cough syrup with her. She should be fine to go.

We just got back from a 10 day on the Royal and half the passengers seem to have it. Tis the season. We had had it earlier in the season and were blessed to not get it again. But some of our new friends had it when they boarded but were careful not to touch things and to bring water and drops with them all over the ship. It helped that we were under a code red and everyone was careful about not touching things and washing hands so I don't think that bug was passed much.

Hope she has a great cruise!

Even if you use cough syrup & meds, you are still lying on the form anyhow.

Just fill it out correctly, the worst that will happen is someone from medical will assess the situation.

What they are looking for is someone that has GI or something similar, a quick temperature taken will clear her, small delay at worst. As Noro is their main concern, and that lasts for days not weeks.

A few years ago, I was in the early stages of a cold, and said so on my health form. After being pulled aside & waiting until my temp could be checked, I was "cleared." I think the form specifically asks about vomiting, diarrhea, and fever. Hope she feels better soon!

The form is about gut issues as others have said. Not a nagging winter cough or Ebola. The decent weather, clean salt infused air and relaxation will have her cured! Bon Voyage!

The form asks about gut issues (symptoms of Ebola) and if you've traveled to certain countries.

Edited by SadieN

I thought I recalled that the Health Questionnaire also asked about a fever. I had one heck of a cough when I went from the Pacific Princess to the Grand Princess last winter, the remnant of a cold, but wasn't running a smidge of fever, and so answered truthfully and was never questioned about it.