Upcoming Calls To La Goulette Cancelled

LaCat3

Not surprising given recent events. What a pity.

We really loved our day there ... but that was back in 2005 ...

And no, I don't think I'd want to go back just now ...

Mura

Sad but understandable. Our day there in 2006 will be one we will never forget-friends were yelling from the ship for us to hurry to board, literally the last passengers on board. We learned later we had been paged twice.

We had paired up with another couple on the pier to hire a cab for the day. Saw the Bardo, the Medina, Carthage, North Africa American Cemetery. Our driver was so intent that we see everything that driving us through Sidi Bou Said almost caused us to miss the ship. At least I still have the much haggled for rug to commemorate the day!

We are on the Marina September 14th sailing that is also scheduled to stop at LaGoulette. According to may TA, Oceania has not changed that itinerary at this point so the change is not for all Oceania sailings....yet.....

We are on the June 1st sailing on the Riviera and as of today no changes yet. La Goulette is still on the itinerary. I' afraid they are going to remove Egypt and Israel, the reason for us booking this cruise.

We are on the June 1st sailing on the Riviera and as of today no changes yet. La Goulette is still on the itinerary. I' afraid they are going to remove Egypt and Israel, the reason for us booking this cruise.

If they remove Israel, Egypt and Tunisia it will be a very different cruise from what everyone booked - that's for sure.

Hope they do it before final payment is due.

Oceania notified me today that our stop in Tunis for our October Riviera cruise has been changed to Messina (Sicily).

The wording in the email says:... We actually have just updated the itineraries for several of our sailings to avoid this port....

Received notification today of port change on 9/23 sailing on Marina that we will also go to Trapani instead of LaGoulette. Feel bad for the Tunisians who rely on tourism from the cruise ships ~ this is really going to hurt them and not the terrorists.....

I just checked our June 1 cruise and Tunisia is no longer a stop and Sicily is in.

We are waiting to see what they will do about Egypt as we have been told other cruise lines have cancelled their stops in Egypt this summer.

We have being trying to decide whether to book this cruise as the itinerary is so interesting but have concerns about any changes, however, at the moment it has been put on hold as I have a medical issue to resolve. My question is do any of the cruise critic regulars have experience of Oceania informing passengers of changes before the cruise so we can make an informed decision or do they wait until the day of departure or when you are on board. I have called Oceania UK but they cannot tell me anything at present.

I have received so much helpful information from Cruise Critic in the past so I am hoping you can shed some light on this for me.

PS My husband is not keen of sea days but I love them.

Regarding notification of changes, sometimes it happens in advance and sometimes it doesn't. I suppose the situation can be a factor.

When we boarded our cruise in Nov '05 that was supposed to be going to Libya, passengers who were on the internet knew that Libya was no longer on the itinerary but non-computer people did NOT know. Moreover, there was no notice in the check-in area to inform them of the itinerary change.

But that was some time ago and maybe it wouldn't happen like that today.

Mura

We received an email from Oceania via our UK TA yesterday to notify a change of itinerary from Tunis for our October cruise. It is such a shame as this was the only place on the itinerary we had not previously visited, but we can understand Oceania's decision. I am sure we will enjoy yet another visit to Sicily there is always something new to see and if not we will just enjoy some quality time on the ship.

We have being trying to decide whether to book this cruise as the itinerary is so interesting but have concerns about any changes, however, at the moment it has been put on hold as I have a medical issue to resolve. My question is do any of the cruise critic regulars have experience of Oceania informing passengers of changes before the cruise so we can make an informed decision or do they wait until the day of departure or when you are on board. I have called Oceania UK but they cannot tell me anything at present.

I have received so much helpful information from Cruise Critic in the past so I am hoping you can shed some light on this for me.

PS My husband is not keen of sea days but I love them.

They try and do so if they know in advance but with the world the way that it is sometimes last minute decisions have to be made. Ports may be skipped also because of weather, etc. We missed Mykonos twice due to high winds and we missed Sochi Russia at the last minute as the port authorities were "too busy" to handle a ship docking! (Rumor was Putin did not want people to see how far behind they were for the Olympics!)

So if you read the cruise contract they reserve the right to change the itinerary for any reason.

We have missed a very few ports due to weather. That happens, we accept it.

The problem with the "non-Libya" cruise in 2005 was not Oceania's fault. Khadaffi had decided that anyone with a U.S. passport would not be allowed off the ship, so a line with primarily U.S. passengers wasn't about to dock there.

My complaint with Oceania at the time (not because it affected me) was that those passengers who weren't online had no idea until they arrived in Barcelona that the itinerary had been changed. I thought that SOME information should have been given to them in advance, and that didn't happen.

Nowadays, more people are online -- even those of us who are older -- and I would like to think that these notices about changes to the Tunisia itineraries are being sent directly as well as online.

But I've never fussed when I couldn't get to a port I was counting on. There are no guaranties ...

Mura

We have missed a very few ports due to weather. That happens, we accept it.

The problem with the "non-Libya" cruise in 2005 was not Oceania's fault. Khadaffi had decided that anyone with a U.S. passport would not be allowed off the ship, so a line with primarily U.S. passengers wasn't about to dock there.

My complaint with Oceania at the time (not because it affected me) was that those passengers who weren't online had no idea until they arrived in Barcelona that the itinerary had been changed. I thought that SOME information should have been given to them in advance, and that didn't happen.

Nowadays, more people are online -- even those of us who are older -- and I would like to think that these notices about changes to the Tunisia itineraries are being sent directly as well as online.

But I've never fussed when I couldn't get to a port I was counting on. There are no guaranties ...

Mura