Hotel ideas

jmctlc38

:rolleyes:We will be flying into Ft. Lauderdale and sailing out of Miami the day before our cruise next February. We are looking for suggestions on hotels to stay at in either city. And maybe some ideas on transportation from Ft. Lauderdale to Miami .

We think most cruisers end up at one of 2 areas. The most popular are the hotels/motels in the 17th Street area (i.e. Embassy Suites) which give you easy access to some restaurants, shopping, liquor stores, etc. Another area is around Sterling Road (i.e. Hampton Inn, Comfort Inn, etc). Sterling Road is often a little cheaper then 17th street and has a market and BJs nearby. There are also a few restaurants although not as many good choices as from 17th Street. Some hotels/motels in each area offer free transportation from the airport and they all offer transfers to the port (either free or a relatively small fee).

If you look here on CC under the Ports of Call/United States/East Coast you will find a lot more info.

Hank

Edited by Hlitner

Agree with checking the other boards, or your specific cruise line board, or meet and mingle roll call for more information.

If you plan to spend the night in FLL, also agree that 17th Street area is very popular; personally stay at the Embassy Suites. However, they do not have a free airport shuttle.

If you decide to spend the night in Miami there are numerous airport area hotels. Again, personally have always stayed at the Holiday Inn Port of Miami - a very popular hotel with cruisers. It is an old property, but well maintained - just a very typical big, old, HI! It is right across the street from Bayside Market Place, which gives lots of opportunity for evening entertainment and dinner. There is also a Walgreens and similar stores within walking distance.

As far as transportation, airport shuttle would probably be the cheapest; or rental car. Taxi would be more expensive.

You probably need to decide which city you want to spend the night in, and then decide on transportation from the hotel to the cruise port.

If you decide to stay in FLL, I agree with the others about 17th St. area. My preference is the Mariott Renaissance. There's a Walgreens right across the street with restaurants within walking distance. I've also stayed on Sterling, the Comfort Inn. Way less expensive but there really isn't much in the immediate vicinity except for the Golden Arches next door.