Are RCI Med/Europe cruises "dressier" than other regions?

Our 7-night Greek Isles on Vision in mid-June begins/ends in Venice. We're spending significant time post-cruise traveling elsewhere in Europe via planes/trains/automobiles, and we don't want to haul extra baggage for suits, dresses, etc., so we're skipping formal nights.

Furthermore, I don't want to pack "casual wear" that I normally wouldn't wear when traveling on land only, just because I'm on a cruise ship. At best, I'm thinking jeans and a polo shirt.

Is this going to be cool on this cruise? In the Caribbean or Alaska, I wouldn't even ask, but would this approach be lame in this case? Thanks.

Not sure if you mean on the ship or off.

Here in the EU the majority would not go site-seeing in a town or visit a city to shop in shorts but would wear a sun dress or skirt and top with sandals - I would wear casual trousers if cooler. Shorts etc are beach/ around beach area only. (unless under 20) even my eldest would not wear them now away from the sea front and she is 22, trainers (sneakers) are avoided unless on a long walk or doing sport - some do wear them all the time but it is not the norm . On hols even in a hotel we would always change for diner into slightly dressier clothes.

In answer to your question as to whether Mediterranean cruises are dressier than in other areas, JMHO but yes, more than the Caribbean.

I agree. Cruising still feels a little more traditional in the Med/Europe and IMHO dress sense is therefore more dressy

Thanks for the replies. We'll factor this in when it's time to pack, however, traveling light rules the day. Other than formal nights, a sit-down meal in the MDR is preferable, but we're prepared for alternatives if we feel our casual isn't "smart" enough.

Thanks for the replies. We'll factor this in when it's time to pack, however, traveling light rules the day. Other than formal nights, a sit-down meal in the MDR is preferable, but we're prepared for alternatives if we feel our casual isn't "smart" enough.

I'm sure your casual will be smart enough. People wear all sorts of different genres of attire no matter what the suggested dress is :)

I think this is one of those things it can be hard to capture. Certain cruises attract certain nationalities and crowds.

Our experience is that if the cruise has a large population of 'Brits' it can be dressier. We had one cruise with a very large group of Brits and their idea of 'smart casual' was sport jacket and tie and dressy short dress for the ladies (not quite cocktail but not the summer breeze casual dress either). And I actually had a discussion with one lady from the UK about this, that was her understanding of 'smart casual' and she was not alone.

That said, there are other advantages. Most European cruises have a Beatles cover group show and the Brits all sang along with the show. It was such fun! Same type of performance on another cruise, all American crowd, everyone sat like stones. Good group, well done, but not half the fun.

I'd say, take more dressy stuff than you would for a Caribbean but don't let the outfit hold you back. Expect a busier second seating and more folks doing the late night shows and bars. I like it myself!

Here in the EU the majority would not go site-seeing in a town or visit a city to shop in shorts but would wear a sun dress or skirt and top with sandals - I would wear casual trousers if cooler. Shorts etc are beach/ around beach area only. (unless under 20) even my eldest would not wear them now away from the sea front and she is 22, trainers (sneakers) are avoided unless on a long walk or doing sport - some do wear them all the time but it is not the norm . On hols even in a hotel we would always change for diner into slightly dressier clothes.

Can I disagree with the comment regarding trainers or sneakers. I would say they are the norm! Not sure what you think men are supposed to wear on their feet when siteseeing.

We're European and if it's hot we wear shorts to go sight seeing etc. And we wear trainers (sneakers) as they're comfortable for walking.

I did the Med this past Oct and it seemed casual to me. The ships was heavy on Europeans and I didn't notice anything different except a lot a children . The Europeans take their children on these trips which is wonderful to see them get well traveled and cultured.

Last Summer in the Med it did not seem that dressy to me, and that was on a Celebrity ship. Shorts and t-shirts were common in the day, and people wore business casual to dinner.

Formal night seemed more strictly adhered to, but as we didnt want to pack tuxes, we just ate at the buffet on those nights.

I've been on 3 12 niter from Barcelona via Venice and I found the style of dressing each time as getting more casual than in the Caribbean. We wear shorts all the time when sightseeing or touring, especially in the Summer months as it gets humid and hot. When visiting St. Marks's Cathedrals in Venice, Rome's Vatican or Pisa's main Cathedral, make sure you have knee length shorts for both ladies and men or knee length dresses for ladies, otherwise you will not be allowed entrance. In Pisa, a couple of years ago, we were Ok with the shorts, but had to buy a scarf, before entering, to cover my wife's arms.