Liberty...searching now possible man overboard

I read this thread having witnessed a MOB on Princess 8/2014.

It is something you never forget.

This MOB was witnessed and the captain and crew did an incredible job of putting out lighted buoys to track the path of the ship; did an incredible turn and set out a lifeboat to find the person.

The crew puts themselves in a dangerous situation by taking off in dark waters. No other ships were in the area.

Once this MOB call was announced port side, there was not a sound from anyone.

No one was sent anywhere for a head count. That is the captain's call.

They found the person who likely had too much to drink and put him off at the next port.

I am not aware we have any psychiatrists on this thread and this person on Liberty apparently was not found. Thus, no need to analyze the reasons for this.

Rather than pick on the OP who only had preliminary information and shared it, why post on discrepancies?

This man just lost his life. Who are we to judge?

Condolences to his family!

It is good to know that the crew and captain did their job and the best they could to save someone.

Thanks to those who provided credible information on ship positions and such.

THIS is why they don't send you to muster stations instead. People will say "Its not sailaway, I don't need to go to the muster station" or "I'm here, so I know its not me that's missing". Its a time frame issue, and with some ships having muster locations outside, they don't want the lights and noise of thousands of people going "what's going on" on the outside decks while trying to conduct a SAR.

I'm just reading this, but how sad. It's amazing how people don't want to follow simple, LIFE SAVING directions. And it's shocking to see how many people on this site questioned protocol when a CHILD was missing. Who cares WHY you were asked to go back to your cabin, just GO! I swear, if my children had ever asked me fifty questions while I'm giving them instructions, I'd pop them one. Sometimes an order doesn't have to make sense - all though it makes perfect sense to me that if they're doing a head count, the best way to do that is for everyone to go to their ROOM!) but following it may just save a life - perhaps even yours. I'm sorry, this story just broke my heart. And the people who were on here snipping about why this and why that is just too much. Some people can be self-important, self-absorbed a-holes.

I'm just reading this, but how sad. It's amazing how people don't want to follow simple, LIFE SAVING directions. And it's shocking to see how many people on this site questioned protocol when a CHILD was missing. Who cares WHY you were asked to go back to your cabin, just GO! I swear, if my children had ever asked me fifty questions while I'm giving them instructions, I'd pop them one. Sometimes an order doesn't have to make sense - all though it makes perfect sense to me that if they're doing a head count, the best way to do that is for everyone to go to their ROOM!) but following it may just save a life - perhaps even yours. I'm sorry, this story just broke my heart. And the people who were on here snipping about why this and why that is just too much. Some people can be self-important, self-absorbed a-holes.

It wasn't a child it was a 43 year old man the child was a guess early.

Also I feel a lot of that was people reading tone into posts where tone did not exist.

A good rule of thumb I have is when reading online I always imagine sitting I am having a beer with that person and they said that, how would I respond.

It was a 43 year old male, not a child missing

Even so still a human being

Bring a parent also of a child who has been in kids club when an OSCAR OSCAR OSCAR has been announced, do you know the first thought that runs through your head.

It's not Go to my cabin, I can tell you that for sure!

It is where are they and I really hope they are safe (yes I know they are with trained staff in the kids club)

And I also know that if required they will be brought to muster station if needed

What I do not know is, do the AO staff have to take every child back to their cabin.

If someone told you to jump off a bridge, would you just go JUST GO!

Some people actually question why, sometimes.

Something rational to one, may not play out to be rational to another.

Some passengers do not know what Oscar Oscar Oscar means!!

Let alone any of the coded messages that can be broadcast over the speaker system.

Actually probably only seasoned cruisers know a few of the distress warnings

Having been on 2 sailings where there has been a MOB on both occasions, the most recent was Navigator June 2014

This sailing OOO over the speakers, no other announcement was made, and that was it, no lockdown, no muster zilch!! Only once we stopped and then circled back did anyone really no what was going on.

And even then it wasn't until we returned home did we find out on CC what truly happened.

The other time was a crew member

This sailing OOO, and no initial announcement, then we were told to all proceed to our muster stations. After 30 mins or so and a full headcount everyone went back to whatever they were doing before the OOO.

So I ask you this, if you had been on the Costa Concordia, and heard a signal not knowing what it meant, would you of gone to your Cabin, as a lot of the survivors reported they were informed to do so?

Or would of you questioned what was required of you?

So Including this tragic incident, 3 variables of what can happen.

Captains rules as each event may have different scenarios

Which one is correct or incorrect is irrelevant, it is what the Captain of the ship at that given time sees to be the appropriate protocol or coarse of action to take.

Condolences to the family who lost a son, father brother, no one wishes that on anyone. Regardless of why he jumped, fell, slipped it is tragic.