Liberty...searching now possible man overboard

I see that CG CHARLES SEXTON is still in the area searching for the man. I am still praying that they find him alive. I am wondering where the water current might take him? Could it be to a beach in one of the Keys or to Cuba? Is that possible?

The current in this area runs east-northeast and then north up the east Florida coast...and it runs relatively fast. CHARLES SEXTON has been a busy bee the last few days and I'm actually surprised to see their AIS turned on.

Edited by Aquahound

The current in this area runs east-northeast and then north up the east Florida coast...and it runs relatively fast. CHARLES SEXTON has been a busy bee the last few days and I'm actually surprised to see their AIS turned on.

Not a good idea to have your AIS on when stalking drug runners? :D

Just a few things from reading this thread.

Yes, the Canadians helped. It is very common for the Canadians to transit this area because they assist with Caribbean drug patrols, along with most other allied nations. The 2 ships that assisted were the HMCS Goose Bay (707) and HMCS Shawinigan (704).

Once USCG is on scene, especially at night, cruise ships are typically released. Like my friend chengkp75 said, too many large ships cluttering a search area, especially at night, can be a bad thing....and brightly lit cruise ships don't play well against night vision and IR.

MOB from 12 decks up are rarely found. Fact is, the impact from that high usually results in a total exhalation of air, rendering a person with little to no buoyancy. Condolensces to the family. :(

Glad to know everything that could have been done was done. Very sorry for the family.

I appreciate your input as it provides a pragmatic approach to situations.

Kathy

I think it would be a terrible feeling when called to your cabin, and you're waiting for that last person to turn up, of course extreme relief when all members of your cabin report in, unfortunately for one such cabin (unless he was sailing solo) never got that overwhelming feeling of relief of seeing all their party reunited this time around.

I think it would be a terrible feeling when called to your cabin, and you're waiting for that last person to turn up, of course extreme relief when all members of your cabin report in, unfortunately for one such cabin (unless he was sailing solo) never got that overwhelming feeling of relief of seeing all their party reunited this time around.

It's THIS exact moment that hurts my heart. I have no idea if he was with a cabin mate at the time he decided to jump or if he were alone - but that moment when you find out that it was your travel partner or life partner seems like it would be gut wrenching.

When I first checked Vesselfinder after hearing what happened, the only ships I saw in the area were the two Canadian vessels and the Liberty. I didn't see any CG vessels at first, even though the OP reported that they were there.

The CG Charles Sexton seems to have given up the search and is heading SW, away from the area :(

Thanks for all the insight, Aquahound and Chengkp75. Your posts are always so helpful.

When I first checked Vesselfinder after hearing what happened, the only ships I saw in the area were the two Canadian vessels and the Liberty. I didn't see any CG vessels at first, even though the OP reported that they were there.

The CG Charles Sexton seems to have given up the search and is heading SW, away from the area :(

Thanks for all the insight, Aquahound and Chengkp75. Your posts are always so helpful.

Remember that military vessels are not required to have their AIS system activated, and in a drug interdiction mode, the cutter would not want its position broadcast to one and all, and they may have only turned it on because of the extended stay in the high traffic area while performing a grid search, so other vessels in the area would recognize what the cutter's intentions were.

Remember that military vessels are not required to have their AIS system activated, and in a drug interdiction mode, the cutter would not want its position broadcast to one and all, and they may have only turned it on because of the extended stay in the high traffic area while performing a grid search, so other vessels in the area would recognize what the cutter's intentions were.

Absolutely. It's not uncommon for CG cutters to flip on their AIS while conducting SAR, but it's not quite as common in high interdiction areas like the Florida Straits. SEXTON is still transmitting but trust me, they're not the only ones out there. ;)

Absolutely. It's not uncommon for CG cutters to flip on their AIS while conducting SAR, but it's not quite as common in high interdiction areas like the Florida Straits. SEXTON is still transmitting but trust me, they're not the only ones out there. ;)

Yes, for the lumbering tankers in the Straits, it is comforting to the bridge officers to be able to identify that "crazy a**hole" on my radar screen crossing the traffic scheme, with the cutter making "Pan-pan" broadcasts. Allows the Captain to stay in his cabin watching March Madness. ;)

Maybe that guy was doing something STUPID. Just saying........... :eek:

Cruise%20ship%20dumb%20ass_zpsbavczuhr.jpg

I remember this picture. I'm not condoning this idiot's behavior, but this isn't as bad as it looks. This is Radiance Class and below his feet is the metal deck that extends out over the life boats. This guy actually isn't in any danger.

I remember this picture. I'm not condoning this idiot's behavior, but this isn't as bad as it looks. This is Radiance Class and below his feet is the metal deck that extends out over the life boats. This guy actually isn't in any danger.

Just stupid??

Sadly in my experience, with exception of a few terminally ill patients, they were incapable of thinking logically or seeing the consequences of their actions.

You are so correct. Someone that is in the process of committing suicide is totally completely unable to think of anything rational. They do not think of family, friends, circumstances, the finality ..... nothing.

Only one thing is on their mind.

Do not even attempt to understand it or find reason.

You are so correct. Someone that is in the process of committing suicide is totally completely unable to think of anything rational. They do not think of family, friends, circumstances, the finality ..... nothing.

I'm not responding to you specifically. I'm responding to the whole suicide conversation taking place in this thread. This incident was an accident resulting from a moment of severe lapse of good judgment. This man did not jump. It was a fall.

So then why did you bother to mention drug interdiction when it has absolutely nothing to do with the subject of this thread?

It was my doing. CG cutters don't normally transmit their positions through AIS in South Florida due to the high law enforcement tempo. What was said after that was just a small spin off conversation.