Liberty...searching now possible man overboard

Just a few things from reading this thread.

Yes, the Canadians helped. It is very common for the Canadians to transit this area because they assist with Caribbean drug patrols, along with most other allied nations. The 2 ships that assisted were the HMCS Goose Bay (707) and HMCS Shawinigan (704).

Once USCG is on scene, especially at night, cruise ships are typically released. Like my friend chengkp75 said, too many large ships cluttering a search area, especially at night, can be a bad thing....and brightly lit cruise ships don't play well against night vision and IR.

MOB from 12 decks up are rarely found. Fact is, the impact from that high usually results in a total exhalation of air, rendering a person with little to no buoyancy. Condolensces to the family. :(

Actually it was this quote - earlier in the thread - which started it

Thanks. I missed that one.

Reallyitsmema, I was simply commenting on where I thought the speculation of the passenger being 1d came from. There were many posts where people ask how/why some were saying 16 while the news was reporting 47 or 43.

We were also on this ship. And yes it was a 47 year old man. He was in the room a few doors down from us. I feel for his family. The crew however did a fabulous job. They made sure everyone went back to their room, they checked every room to make sure all were accounted for, and I thought they handled the family the best way they good.

Thanks. I missed that one.

Reallyitsmema, I was simply commenting on where I thought the speculation of the passenger being 1d came from. There were many posts where people ask how/why some were saying 16 while the news was reporting 47 or 43.

the OP and the people I knew on board were just repeating what they heard...16

Just a few things from reading this thread.

Yes, the Canadians helped. It is very common for the Canadians to transit this area because they assist with Caribbean drug patrols, along with most other allied nations. The 2 ships that assisted were the HMCS Goose Bay (707) and HMCS Shawinigan (704).

Once USCG is on scene, especially at night, cruise ships are typically released. Like my friend chengkp75 said, too many large ships cluttering a search area, especially at night, can be a bad thing....and brightly lit cruise ships don't play well against night vision and IR.

MOB from 12 decks up are rarely found. Fact is, the impact from that high usually results in a total exhalation of air, rendering a person with little to no buoyancy. Condolensces to the family. :(

Thank you for ALL of the information, Paul.

thanks Paul...my friends from on here suggested I call you and ask...just figured 11pm was kinda late ;-)

Yes we did! ;) :D

Because they like to jump to conclusions and sound like they actually know something.

There is no need to be nasty. (maybe you don't think that you are, but you are coming across that way)

Someone on board texted someone on land with that information, and she posted it here. The passenger was told that by a crew member.

The fact that it turned out NOT to be accurate is not some character flaw!

Because they like to jump to conclusions and sound like they actually know something.

The passengers were NOT jumping to conclusions.....it was what they were TOLD:rolleyes:

Really does not matter if the person was 16,46 or 96........jumped,fell,or were pushed...................sober or not...........A life was lost and there is a family out there suffering today.....Keep that in mind! This is not the time for nasty remarks....

Thank you for ALL of the information, Paul.

Yes we did!

:p:p Edited by PH8

thanks Paul...my friends from on here suggested I call you and ask...just figured 11pm was kinda late ;-)

Ha! Thanks for that...especially considering I had to get up at 4 today. ;)

In fairness to all, even initial reports from the ship itself were not clear on the age. I heard everything from 40 to 50 early this morning, which I'm sure accounts for the different ages depending on which article you read. To be honest, I still don't know his exact age....but that's mostly because I was busy with a whole different agenda today. It's a busy time in SoFla! :)

Ha! Thanks for that...especially considering I had to get up at 4 today. ;)

In fairness to all, even initial reports from the ship itself were not clear on the age. I heard everything from 40 to 50 early this morning, which I'm sure accounts for the different ages depending on which article you read. To be honest, I still don't know his exact age....but that's mostly because I was busy with a whole different agenda today. It's a busy time in SoFla! :)

About 4 posts up there's a link to a news story.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Ok, so I have a question for the experts here--according to the latest, it appears to be a man in his 40's that jumped from a deck 12 railing. First off, from a height of roughly 100-120 feet, he would end up a fair bit underwater upon impact, wouldn't the ships screws potentially pull him down further If the ship was sailing at a fairly high rate of speed? Would also think that would also exhaust all of the air from his lungs very quickly as well.

Sad to hear this happened, but these reports are becoming far too common it seems. Hoping these continued reports don't lead to significant changes in the industry.

Ok, so I have a question for the experts here--according to the latest, it appears to be a man in his 40's that jumped from a deck 12 railing. First off, from a height of roughly 100-120 feet, he would end up a fair bit underwater upon impact, wouldn't the ships screws potentially pull him down further If the ship was sailing at a fairly high rate of speed? Would also think that would also exhaust all of the air from his lungs very quickly as well.

Sad to hear this happened, but these reports are becoming far too common it seems. Hoping these continued reports don't lead to significant changes in the industry.

Paul already addressed that question.

Paul already addressed that question.

I realize that he addressed that issue due to the fall itself, but was curious if, in fact, this person could have been pulled under by the screws, if that would indeed complete the process if the fall itself didn't.

I realize that he addressed that issue due to the fall itself, but was curious if, in fact, this person could have been pulled under by the screws, if that would indeed complete the process if the fall itself didn't.

Ugh. Thank you for THAT visual! :eek:

That's a bit of an urban myth. Things along the side of the ship tend to be pushed aside. As well as the exhalation issue, a fall from that height, if not done properly can result in a snapped neck.

clean1owner, if you would stack your signature instead or running it side to side, we could all read your posts much easier. Thanks.:)