Star Post Drydock Review, 5-day Cabo Spring Break, St. Patrick's Day in an OS

craig-n-carol

Entertainment: We attended 2 shows, Band on the Run, which was a musical dance review of the music of the 60's, 70s and 80s. It was a good show, with excellent dancers. The only problem was the sound mix was not right. Music too loud, vocals not loud enough. One of my professions is a sound engineer, so perhaps I was being too critical, but it was off to me. The performers were great, just not the technical part of the show.

The 2nd show we saw was the comedian James Berry. He was absolutely hilarious!!! A good addition to the entertainment IMHO. We sat in the reserved suite seating, which is in the nosebleed section of the left balcony. Still good seats, they were the bench style seats, not the inclining drop down ones. For us they were comfortable.

Misc: This was our first cruise as Platinum. We were beginning to think the Behind the Scenes tour was not going to happen. There were many hiccups in the supply and demand of things like ice, drink mixers, alcohol and food items. On the last night we found an invitation to a Navigational Bridge Tour. I figured they nixed the BTS tour due to the level of chaos in I-95? Not sure, don't care. The Bridge tour was great. Our second one, very informative. I took pics, but there are too many CC members faces in them and I don't want to show those due to keeping it anonymous.

Let Downs: Rowdy Spring Breakers and theior blatant disregard to all around them, and the Code "R" they caused at 3:23am on the last morning. Apparently some girl had too much to drink and needed medical attention. Hoping she is OK. 3 hour dinner and bad Quatres Coronets in Le Bistro. No booze in the room until late the 1st night. Hard to get ice in the room, sometimes a 45 minute wait. Moderno was not good. Chocolate covered strawberries I pre-ordered online for day 1 were not there until night 2. The Muster Drill, very bad. No O'Sheehan's or 5 O'Clock Somewhere Bar until the last night. Somber, frustrated crew members with bad attitudes. Noisy at night at the bow from Bow Thrusters keeping tendering position made it hard to sleep, going off every 3-5 minutes and shaking our room about ( this will only happen in a 5 day Cabo overnight, or any overnight where there is no dock). The complaints I made were always replied to with "this was the first time I ever heard about that", which I know was BS.

With all of this being said, we still had a great time. The Meet and Greet was the best we ever attended, thanks again to Linda the Book Lover and AnnieTownsend for all the hard work you guys put into our special day.

All of these experiences could have ruined our cruise had we let them, but no way. This was our much sought after vacation, and we are still very glad we went. We were celebrating our anniversary on this cruise, and it had to be good, no matter what!! :)

This concludes my review. I will be happy to answer any other questions you all may have.

Bye from Craig & Carol!

IMG_2181.JPG

Edited by craig-n-carol

Yah a Star review post dry dock! :). Thanks in advance for taking the time to write it. By any chance was anyone on your roll call in the Garden Villa? I am curious if they made any changes.

Sorry Maja, there were no GVs in our group. But please post your pics when you get back, we are interested in seeing the GV.

Thanks for letting our roll call join you in your beautiful suite.Thanks for letting me in on what an owners suite is! That cabin was like a two bedroom penthouse. I really enjoyed sitting in all of your different seating areas to get a feel for the space. Thanks for the big spread of food and drinks in your suite.:)

Looking forward to your review,

Joyce

It was our pleasure to host the cabin crawl party! I really enjoyed our group, and we had a blast!!

You weren't even on this cruise :mad:

DUH!!! I SAID I WASN'T ON THIS CRUISE. MY NEPHEW GOT MARRIED ON THIS CRUISE SO WERE 36 FAMILY MEMBERS WHO SHARED THEIR EXPERIENCE WITH ME.

Why are you chiming in with your negativity- write your own review... :mad:

I want to read Craig's review!! :D

Excuse me, but my first post was not to you, it was to Craig-n-Carol and commenting on how my family had similar waits at dinner etc. I felt that everyone on the cruise including craig-n-carol deserved to have the best service possible.

I am also enjoying this review, especially the pictures.

Thanks for you review! I will be boarding the Star with my 11 year old niece on Sunday and am looking forward to it.

Can you give me more info on your whale watching excursion? We might be interested in something like that. Thank you.

Thanks for you review! I will be boarding the Star with my 11 year old niece on Sunday and am looking forward to it.

Can you give me more info on your whale watching excursion? We might be interested in something like that. Thank you.

Yes, go to whale watch cabo dot com, you can get info and book it there.

Craig,

I wonder if the young lady with the medical emergency was the same one in the Spinnaker Lounge the last night of the cruise. She put an abrupt end to our UBP party, by puking ON the bar. Because the staff has to treat it like a possible norovirus outbreak, the staff closed down the bar. A lovely end to our cruise...

LesPaul

IMG_1887-MOTION.gif

Nice hot tubs on the bow but they are off limit to passengers.

Star is a very nice ship even before the recent dry dock. Those who come here to bad mouth the Star without ever setting a foot on the ship is nothing but sour grapes.

Craig,

I wonder if the young lady with the medical emergency was the same one in the Spinnaker Lounge the last night of the cruise. She put an abrupt end to our UBP party, by puking ON the bar. Because the staff has to treat it like a possible norovirus outbreak, the staff closed down the bar. A lovely end to our cruise...

LesPaul

We know what cabin she was in, and the Spinnaker was on the opposite side of the ship 7th aft, and her room was 9th forward. A long way to travel under that level of influence, but not impossible. The call came directly to the cabin, on our room overhead speakers, and I would assume most cabins on deck 9 forward. It was at 3:23am Sunday, and was a Code "R" to her cabin number, which I won't repeat. I went out our front door, saw a small crowd in the hallway around the room, and heard the conversation quickly deteriorating with several college age girls and security. It seemed to be under control, so we went back to our room. It was hard to get back to sleep though. We have college age girls, and all we could think about was if she was ok. We got the idea she wasn't though, but that is pure speculation.

Great Pictures and wonderful review of the ship, we are sailing April 27th on the TA in an Sj suite, When you were on the cabin crawl did you notice if they replaced the bad broken seal windows? Thanks

The area on the bow with the two hot tubs is zoned as crew recreational.

This area was open during the Panama Canal transit and on similar ships

the forward bow area is open for i.e. glacier viewing or prime interest.

Comment: Outstanding spectacular photo work of Land's End Cabo.

Was a Polarizing lens device used to achieve the rich deep colors ?

Great Pictures and wonderful review of the ship, we are sailing April 27th on the TA in an Sj suite, When you were on the cabin crawl did you notice if they replaced the bad broken seal windows? Thanks

Thanks klannin, they had not replaced them. We saw an SJ suite in the cabin crawl and that was a major topic of discussion. Very roomy cabin too!

The area on the bow with the two hot tubs is zoned as crew recreational.

This area was open during the Panama Canal transit and on similar ships

the forward bow area is open for i.e. glacier viewing or prime interest.

Comment: Outstanding spectacular photo work of Land's End Cabo.

Was a Polarizing lens device used to achieve the rich deep colors ?

Thanks D-U-R-N, I knew it was crew area, but did not know they opened it up for public use. As for the pics, it was just an iPhone 6+ :). Google+ photos enhance the pics a bit, but it is pretty much as shot. We were blessed with great sunny weather the whole trip. Good for taking pics.

Edited by craig-n-carol
sp.

Thanks Craig

I wonder why they did not replace them, what cabin did you see? Was it really bad? The reason you pick those is for the view.

I believe it was 12008, and 1 of the four windows on the side was completely fogged up, and about a third of a second one. If I had to guess why it wasn't replaced, I would have to say they ran out of time in drydock.