Silhouette thoughts – March 15-22 sailing

JudyU

BACKGROUND INFO

This was our 8th cruise and 2nd on Celebrity (first Celebrity cruise was last year on the Reflection). We had a balcony cabin on the 7th floor, mid ship. Upgraded our drink package to premium and due to lots of on-board credits, we did all 4 specialty restaurants for dinner. Due to work schedules, this is the week we can cruise. It is school break for those of us in Ontario and in some other provinces. The ship was oversold with 3100 passengers, 43% were Canadian and 480 were children under the age of 18. Despite the number of cruisers, this ship felt less crowded that last year on the Reflection. There were no line-ups to get on and off and getting chairs on the deck did not seem to be that much of a problem. However, due to the number of children on board, it seemed like the main pool area was very busy. Getting on and off the ship was so easy with minimal lineups.

DRINK PACKAGE INFO

Love this perk on Celebrity. We frequented the Molecular Bar, Martini Bar, Cellar Masters, Sunset Bar, and Mast Grill area. On the deck above the pool, there was always a cart coming by, offering us beer etc. We heard from others that the pool bars were very busy and often there was a wait. However, getting drinks was never a problem for us.

We enjoy the opportunity to try higher end wines and benefit from the premium package as we often add a few extra dollars above the $13 limit for these wines. Cellar Masters is such a great concept but a place that we believe is not promoted in the right way by Celebrity. The service is inconsistent and the environment is not that inviting. It gained popularity as the week went on and is a hidden gem. There is nothing like getting a glass of wine and sitting outside the bar to listen to the entertainment in the lobby. It is unfortunate that Celebrity hasn’t paralleled the concept of the Martini Bar with the wine. It would be great if they opened it up with a “U” shaped wine bar. It would be so much fun and could be a really popular place … just our opinion!

Every specialty restaurant and bar had different wines. Although some people complained about this, we saw it as an opportunity to try different things and talk to different sommeliers. If there was a wine we liked and were at a different venue that night, we just walked into the specialty restaurant and they would give us the glass of wine to take to the other venue. It was awesome.

ENTERTAINMENT

All I can say is … WOW … especially compared to the Reflection last year. Every show that we attended was top notch. The cruise director, Rich, and his staff were unbelievably genuine, enthusiastic, funny, engaging, visible and not intrusive. Add to that a Captain who participated regularly in many activities. No other comedians were needed on board – the cruise director and Captain were hilarious. The music around the trip was great every night. A duet called “5 o’clock Somewhere” were well received by the passengers. They attracted crowds and people were always talking about how good they were.

THE PASSENGERS

Due to March Break in Canada, there were many teachers etc. who were limited to this week to travel. There were also more children. We both love kids but wonder why people would choose this cruise line to take their kids. We have travelled with our children on other lines that have more activities and entertainment to make a vacation memorable for them. By the end of the week, many of the kids seemed bored and unengaged. I heard other passengers complain about parents who would go into the dining room and put 8 kids at one table and sit at another one themselves. This arrangement would cause disruption in the dining room.

Coincidentally, the only rudeness that I heard all week was a parent who was taking 6 kids to dinner from 3 families. She was upset that she could not get a table for 8 in select dining without a wait. She called the host “rude” when he told her there would be the wait. She complained that she had never had this experience on other lines.

Overall, this was the nicest group of passengers I have ever cruised with (including a river cruise). People were friendly, kind and so positive.

FOOD and DINING

We went to specialty restaurants for 4 nights due to the on-board credit that we had to spend. Murano was our least favourite. We are pretty healthy eaters and found Murano to be good but rich and over the top. Love Tuscan Grill … the environment, the food, and the staff. Qsine is great when you can go with other people as sharing the food is definitely the way to go! Tried Lawn Club Grill for the first time – great food and add a fun interactive experience … it makes for a wonderful evening.

We thought that the buffet was excellent this year. Lots of varied choice and great quality. No problems with getting a table even at peak times. The Mast Grill burgers were the lunch of choice – very popular and delicious!

We ate at the dining room 3 times (select dining). The Silhouette staff had challenges in the dining room this week because of the numbers of children and families on board that made it more difficult for seating. We went at peak times (6:30 or 7pm) and had to wait 20-25 minutes which didn’t bother us. The food was good but the staff seemed to be rushed and service was not consistent. Unlike other times when staff discussed the best choices of the night, 2 of 3 times, this didn’t happen. Everyone seemed to be doing their best and this did not ruin our experience. After the first night of waiting for wine in the dining room, we decided to bring it in the other evenings from Cellar Masters. This worked well and we were visited later in our meal by the sommelier who served us their recommendation for the main course and a wonderful dessert wine. Our friends who had the late seating had a great experience and good service in the dining room.

OVERALL IMPRESSIONS

This was a wonderful cruise. There is nothing like sitting on the balcony having a cup of coffee to start the morning and ending the day with a glass of wine. When cruising on March Break, you have to anticipate some glitches due to the crowds. The problems were minimal and the experience on the Silhouette was amazing. We feel so blessed and privileged that we can have this experience. If you have any questions or comments, would be happy to hear from you!!! Judy

We were on the cruise before you and totally agree with your review. It was our 3rd sailing on the Silhouette and each one was great. The Captain is in a class of his own and in all our cruises have never been impressed with a Cruise Director until Richard.....Captain and CD....the best:).

Loved reading your thoughts. Will be on Silhouette very soon and so good to hear such positive comments. I am curious about how many kids will be onboard when we sail on Easter. Like you this line would not be my first choice for kids but it is a holiday so we expect more than usual.

Thanks for the review and for the rich detail.

What was the Captain's name? A Captain who is out and about and is also witty is someone I'd like to sail with!

I'm sailing the Silhouette in January 2016 (1st X cruise) and am counting the days.

Norris

Thanks for the review and for the rich detail.

What was the Captain's name? A Captain who is out and about and is also witty is someone I'd like to sail with!

I'm sailing the Silhouette in January 2016 (1st X cruise) and am counting the days.

Norris

We were on the Silhouette from March 1-8. Comments are bang on. The cruise was wonderful, particularly the CD and Captain. Richard Spacey was the CD - what a manic, energetic, entertaining guy. He could easily tour as a comic and be quite successful. As for the Captain, he was the most engaging Captain we have experienced. His name is Emanouil Alevropolous. Activities he participated in were: Captain's talk, Liar's Club and Dancing with the Officers. All are must attends. Enjoy your cruise.

Great review, I too wonder why anyone would bring kids on Celebrity, there's nothing for them to do and when they get bored and restless, they ruin the atmosphere of the pool area. I am sailing on easter so I am planning to hang out in the Solarium. If there are lots of kids on my cruise, I hope I don't have to see them.

Loved reading your thoughts. Will be on Silhouette very soon and so good to hear such positive comments. I am curious about how many kids will be onboard when we sail on Easter. Like you this line would not be my first choice for kids but it is a holiday so we expect more than usual.

We sailed last year over Easter on the Silhouette with our teenagers and are doing it again this year on the same ship. There weren't a whole lot of kids. Mine have been cruising since they were 2 and 4 ( now 16 and 18). They have been on many different cruise lines and Celebrity is by far their favorite! They always find plenty to do.