Looking at opinions on multiple cruiselines to Bermuda

cocacola86

Didn't we have a hurricane force storm last year in early may ??

Or was it the year before last . :confused:

Nope

Last hurricane was Oct 12 2014. "Fayes" and Oct 17 2014 "Gonzalo" and before that it was "Igor " on Sept 19th 2010

check out this website

http://www.hurricanecity.com/city/bermuda.htm

Edited by Orleanscruiser

I was researching cruises to Bermuda. The cost from Boston was less than from New York. The price on the Norwegian Dawn was less (docks at King's Wharf) but thought that perhaps paying the little extra for the Holland America Veendam might be worth it as the ship is small enough that it can actually dock right on Front Street in Hamilton.... ships on one side of the street and shops on the other.

If taking a ship from New York, it would depend on which line you travel with.....the ones that leave from Bayonne is the NJ side and the airport in Newark (EWR) is closest but I would think LaGuardia (LGA) would be closer for ones leaving New York proper..... I do know that airfare on the airline I use to EWR is more than twice as much (almost 3 x as much) as to LGA - no idea why.....

Nope

Last hurricane was Oct 12 2014. "Fayes" and Oct 17 2014 "Gonzalo" and before that it was "Igor " on Sept 19th 2010

check out this website

http://www.hurricanecity.com/city/bermuda.htm

Yup . I rode out hurricane Fay last year on NCL Dawn .

We got in late cuz they closed the port of Bermuda for a short time .

But I still think we had a real bad storm on the other end of the cruise in the Northeast in May last year or the year before .

No one mentioned HAL's Veendam which sails Saturday Boston to Bermuda to Boston.

She is the only mass market ship that can dock in downtown Hamilton on a weekly basis. That is a HUGE advantage IMO..

I was researching cruises to Bermuda. The cost from Boston was less than from New York. The price on the Norwegian Dawn was less (docks at King's Wharf) but thought that perhaps paying the little extra for the Holland America Veendam might be worth it as the ship is small enough that it can actually dock right on Front Street in Hamilton.... ships on one side of the street and shops on the other.

If taking a ship from New York, it would depend on which line you travel with.....the ones that leave from Bayonne is the NJ side and the airport in Newark (EWR) is closest but I would think LaGuardia (LGA) would be closer for ones leaving New York proper..... I do know that airfare on the airline I use to EWR is more than twice as much (almost 3 x as much) as to LGA - no idea why.....

Bermuda is a wonderful destination and no matter where you dock it will be terrific. That said, docking in Hamilton puts you in the center of the island so it is [basically] equidistant to go in either direction; if you dock in the naval dockyard and want to go to St George's it is quite a trip as they are on opposite ends of the island. Also, HAL stays an extra night in Bermuda so that is a plus IMO as well.

We sailed the Breakaway in 2013 to Bermuda and it is an amazing ship. We enjoyed ourselves immensely as there is just so much to do. However, service on both NCL ships I've been on is adequate but not overly impressive. My parents sailed to BDA on the Dawn last year and said it was a fun time but the ship didn't "wow" them. This year we chose HAL as Veendam is much smaller [than both Breakaway and Dawn] and seems to be a bit more refined. Also, NCL just increased a bunch of costs like DSC and grats. along with adding a room service charge. HAL offers free room service with hot meals [including ordering off the MDR menu during open hours].

No one mentioned HAL's Veendam which sails Saturday Boston to Bermuda to Boston.

She is the only mass market ship that can dock in downtown Hamilton on a weekly basis. That is a HUGE advantage IMO..

I agree. Bermuda is on my travel list and I would book with HAL based on docking in Hamilton.

We sailed Veendam many times prior to them refitting the stern and then once after. It is a pity what they did to the lovely aft pool. It is gone and that was a considerable mistake most of us agree.

I too very much prefer Hamilton dock's . :)

If what everyone is saying is true about all the new and or increased fees associated with sailing on NCL, my next Bermuda cruise after 2015 may just well be HAL. Lanai Stateroom docked in Hamilton for 4 days? I could get in to that. HAL ships have a more nautical vibe to them too. I find the cruises on them to be very relaxing and enjoyable.

I like NCL for all the specialty dinning options, but they are doing what they can to lessen the experience. The friendly cruise staff was always a plus too. Come 2016, will NCL still be an option? We will see.

RCCL stay is too short.

Celebrity? Expensive.

Princess? For some reason they do not go there routinly.

Carnival? If they cruised out of Boston and were affordable, I would give 'em a try. they don't though.

How long is a taxi ride to Hamilton from Dockyard and approximate cost?

1-4 people, $6.40 for first mile and $2.25 for each additional mile and taxis are metered. Dockyard is 15 miles away and time getting there will depend on time of day with traffic.

25% higher between midnight and 6AM as well as all day Sundays and holidays.

1-4 people, $6.40 for first mile and $2.25 for each additional mile and taxis are metered. Dockyard is 15 miles away and time getting there will depend on time of day with traffic.

25% higher between midnight and 6AM as well as all day Sundays and holidays.

If you don't car about being on a high speed ferry, the water taxi is very fast and inexpensive. A few bucks. Or as I do, I purchase the 3 day public transportation card for unlimited access for $30 or so.

We always cruise to Bermuda from Boston, since we live within easy reach of the Black Falcon Pier.

This season HAL is offering several cruises from Boston to Bermuda, but we're booked on the Dawn in June. WHY----because we enjoy freestyle, without true Formal Nights.

Do you feel safe there, I know Jamaica the people are pushy, kind of aggressive.

Do you find the Veendam appeals more to older people or will my DW and I in our mid 30s still have a good time and still have lots of activities for our ages.

Bermuda is very safe and very clean. There are no hawkers on the pier or the beach pushing you to buy things. People are very friendly and even somewhat formal in their politeness. It cannot be compared to Jamaica in really any respect other than the fact that they are both islands; it would be comparing Beverly Hills to south-central LA based on the fact that they are both in California ;)

To your second point, I too worried about the age demographic on the Veendam as I am in my early 30s. Then I started interacting with some of the people on the HAL forum and found them to all be very friendly. It is true that it will likely be an older crowd on average than one would find on NCL. However, at least from the folks on the HAL forum, it seems that HAL attracts a well-traveled client base with lots of varied interests that would make for wonderful travel companions.

I would love to take my parents with us, but some you get a discount for 3 and 4, but how do you book different staterooms but still get the discount

The discount is for the 3rd and 4th person in the same cabin.