I'm skipping formal night! Help a man out.

How does wearing a tie, and dressing up and the weather related? I often wear ties in the middle of summer, and it does not change it being hot. It's hot with or without a tie and the tie does not change it.

You are absolutely correct. Whether or not I tie a piece of cloth around my neck and button my shirt all the way to the top has no affect on the local temperature, the barometric pressure, humidity, or the rotation of the Earth. It DOES however affect my personal comfort level in relation to said temperature and humidity. I like having my collar open.

How does wearing a tie, and dressing up and the weather related? I often wear ties in the middle of summer, and it does not change it being hot. It's hot with or without a tie and the tie does not change it.

I don't think anyone has suggested that dressing up changes the weather. :D But there are some times when, because of the weather, dressing up in a suit is more or less comfortable than others.

Here's another thought (from someone who really does not enjoy putting on a suit)...

My observation is that women tend to dress nicer than men and many wives really appreciate dressing up once in a while. While many women would say they don't care what their husbands wear, my guess is that there are a good number who really appreciate it when their spouses make a special effort to look nice.

Here's another thought (from someone who really does not enjoy putting on a suit)...

My observation is that women tend to dress nicer than men and many wives really appreciate dressing up once in a while. While many women would say they don't care what their husbands wear, my guess is that there are a good number who really appreciate it when their spouses make a special effort to look nice.

Or maybe not. When I told my wife of my clothing plans for dinner she said, oh good, that simplifies my decisions. No need to go buy unneeded dress-up clothes for one dinner.

So we want to skip formal nights on the ship. Frankly I hate dressing up and live in a city where most restaurants no matter how nice allow shorts and casual (Austin, TX). We get amazing food in a laid back atmosphere. Anyway my wife and I talked it over and we are both simple people and about as nice as I get dressed up is a Tommy Bahama shirt and docker type pants. I don't own any suits or dress clothes. On a warm caribbean cruise the last thing I want to do is put on a tie but I also don't want to distract in the MDR on formal night.

So where does a couple go given that I am willing to wear a Tommy Bahama and tan pants? We were thinking about Sabor and maybe Johnny Rockets for dinner on those two nights. Also there is Windjammer but I am guessing I'll be sick of it by the time we get towards the end of the cruise. What are the other options and what is the level of dress at those places?

If my wife and I ever did decide not to dress according to the MDR evening dress guidelines we still would eat in the MDR. Unless one of the staff refused to let us in. Only the staff has the final say. Whatever you decide, enjoy your Cruise.

I don't think anyone has suggested that dressing up changes the weather. :D But there are some times when, because of the weather, dressing up in a suit is more or less comfortable than others.

Bingo!

I am a big guy at 6'4" and 280 lbs and I can tell you that I am only comfortable in a jacket when it is less than 50 degrees. Other than that I start to sweat. If I wear button up shirts I like to have them open for air. I love Tommy Bahama type shirts because they flow and I don't feel hot and stuffy in them. If they were willing to turn the temp down in the MDR to about 60 degrees I might wear a tie.

Or maybe not. When I told my wife of my clothing plans for dinner she said, oh good, that simplifies my decisions. No need to go buy unneeded dress-up clothes for one dinner.

I married a tom boy girl who likes to skate and do active things. She could care less if she is wearing a dress. In fact in all the family photos when her and her sisters were younger it looked like they were being tortured. So actually I believe my wife wouldn't care about the dressing up part and I don't believe she is lying to me on that one ;)

Another twist.....I've told DH he no longer has to wear a coat and tie on formal night. But he insists on wearing them anyway....His idea....

Another twist.....I've told DH he no longer has to wear a coat and tie on formal night. But he insists on wearing them anyway....His idea....

I mean this seriously. Great for you guys. Dress up, enjoy the evening. I've never along the way wanted to take that away from those who truly enjoy it. I can understand that many would.

It's the imposing it on those who don't enjoy it that gets annoying.

Enjoy your cruise.

Thanks that is what I was wondering about the specialty restaurants.

That is what I was concerned about. It is awkward if your table mates are dressed to the nines and we aren't. That is why we might skip the MDR and have a nice dinner at one of the upcharge places. The reason I said Johnny Rockets is because by the end of the cruise we are usually tired of eating haha and it seemed simple.

You will be fine in your slacks and Tommy Bahama shirt. Think of it as Caribbean formal vs euro/wedding formal. Caribbean is more relaxed because of the heat. Your DH should be able to get away with a simple cocktail dress and some nice jewelry. Sometimes the finishing touches are what makes it work - I have see more casual, yet fashionable fit in fine (designer pair (dark wash) of jeans with a high end shirt with colour and bolo (Sp?) tie can look striking while some suits look dishevelled).

I have seen everything from all white - linen pants, with matching white linen shirts (the west indian type that type that have the short collar and button up high) to tuxes to army dress to kilts!

You may want to feel your table out a bit and if they are not dressing up - you're likely good to go. Otherwise if you're not comfortable, head to Wj or Chops.

Edited by pxy cda

We love the specialty restaurants on formal night. They do not raise the prices and we have not found them busy. I think a lot of people go to the MDR on formal night to people watch. We have passed on the MDR formal night the past few cruises just for a change of pace. We like the cocktail party look (for ourselves) but believe everyone should wear what makes them happy.

Not directly, but every thread on this subject the nudge to the WJ consistently comes up. A nudge that isn't necessary.

It's not necessarily a nudge, when the OP specifically asked about other dining venues. Some people are just a little too sensitive with the "OMG! How dare you mention dining anywhere other than the MDR!!!" reaction. ;)

Some people, even if they understand that they CAN go to the MDR without dressing up (and I think that point has been well-made early in the thread), are interested in opinions on the other venues.

Edited by Paul65

It's not necessarily a nudge, when the OP specifically asked about other dining venues. Some people are just a little too sensitive with the "OMG! How dare you mention dining anywhere other than the MDR!!!" reaction. ;)

Some people, even if they understand that they CAN go to the MDR without dressing up (and I think that point has been well-made early in the thread), are interested in opinions on the other venues.

Ugh.

And I mentioned that it is certainly an option, but not a requirement. The white knighting is strong.

We have been on 20 plus cruises and years ago when we would take pics , and the kids were smaller I did bring a jacket and tie for formal night but the last 10 cruises, dress pants/dockers and a button shirt is all I wore and never felt out of place on any cruise line for formal night and never thought of not going to MDR. Then after dinner I get changed into shorts and tee shirt. It is your cruise, enjoy your cruise, you will never see any of these people ever again

And I mentioned that it is certainly an option, but not a requirement. The white knighting is strong.

Meh. Just thought it was a little unfair to call out a poster who only mentioned the WJ in direct response to an OP comment about the WJ. But if I get to be the White Knight for that, so be it. :D

images?q=tbn:ANd9GcROIXwgZj0kbsSY2g5Qn69Eu56djLqwisgbTYlWdA4MI2b7cX3_