"new" specialty res policy first night question

clcmdse

For those who have recently returned from a cruise, I was wondering whether you could elaborate on the "new" enforcement policies of specialty restaurant reservations. Specifically whether the reservation desk is set up the first day to take reservations for that evening for those passengers who already have their four choices.

In the past, we have used our pre-board specialty dining reservations for nights other than the first night. When we would board, we would make our way to the reservation desk that had been set up and request a reservation for the first night. We have never had a problem getting in the first night because many passengers prefer other dining options. Recent posts have suggested that this option may no longer be available to those who already have their initial four reservations.

Watermelon duck salad awaits and we are wondering.:)

Catherine

We are currently on the Riviera and were able to get an "extra" reservation for the first night. I guess it varies from ship to ship as well as the person making reservations. Also - and probably most importantly - how booked or open they are for that night. From speaking to some others here, we were not the only ones in "that boat".

This happened to us in August '11 on Marina, so might not happen today with the new policies BUT ...

I had tried to get a reservation for 6 in Jacques on the night we left port but could not do so because I didn't have the other parties' booking numbers. So we decided just to go to the GDR.

When we said we were 6, they maitre d' asked us if we wanted to go to Jacques ... We did, and I will say it was quite empty that night. Not so a couple of nights later!

Mura

Again, new policy not withstanding, I believe that they will accommodate you on the first night for extra reservations provided that there is availability. Why leave a half empty restaurant - they always try to please the customer when they can. This is most likely the same as for other nights - on a first come basis. When there are no more spaces left, they obviously cannot accommodate you.

The explanation we were given when we boarded Marina in February was that they could not accept any additional reservations until all guests had boarded and had been given the opportunity to make their guaranteed reservations. That is the same explanation given to us in Nov. 2014 on Insignia.

Once (Insignia) we were able to score that additional table, once (Marina) we did not. Honestly think it has more to do with how busy the ship - and how many others are trying to do the same thing.

Paulchili;

You got the extra reservation only because you were PH (or above). On our cruise, not even PH was getting them the first night, unless they meet the criteria.

But that doesn't make sense to me. If I only got the extra reservation because I was in PH why didn't the people in PH on your cruise get extra reservations as well?

I think it is because on your cruise there were no (or only very few) reservations available on the first night whereas on my cruise they had some openings.

On 5 cruises we have been able to get specialty restaurant on first night 4 out of 5 times. We have been in PH all of the times. The first time we were asked if we wanted to go specialty restaurant when we went to MDR. Two times we just showed up at several of the specialty restaurants and asked if they had openings. Once we got the butler to see if it was available. On last cruise in February nothing worked so maybe they are changing the policy. Walking by the specialty restaurant later we noticed a number of empty tables.

• 1 month later...

As I read this, it seems to be all about fairness to those Passengers who might not have booked ANY of their guaranteed Reservations in advance of the Cruise.

A significant percentage of new Passengers will have absolutely no idea that it is even possible to make restaurant reservations before the ship sails, and there are even ((GASPING for BREATH!!!) a few who still don't use the Internet.

Now, on hypothetical "Cruise A", if 20% of the Passenger load has made no advance reservations at all, the crew will have some leeway in letting those of us who DID plan ahead, book additional nights.

On hypothetical "Cruise B", however, if greater than 60% of the possible advance reservations have gone unclaimed, management would have no choice but to put a moratorium on "extra reservations" until a greater percentage of the "guaranteed ones" are in place.

It is also largely true that the same people who might be totally unaware of how the advance reservation system works will also consider that dining as early as possible (i.e. before 7 pm) is of the utmost importance, and even essential to their continued enjoyment of the Cruise.

I think that we can all see how others booking a fifth, sixth or seventh reservation before they get a single crack at a table, might cause angst.

Just saying :o

I read about this new policy before I left for my May 3 - 11 Riviera cruise. I boarded at noon and went directly to the reservation desk and booked Polo for that evening. I had already booked my four reservations on line and asked if it was okay and he said of course it was. I was in a B3 veranda, boarded an hour earlier than I was supposed to, and it was no problem at all.

I read about this new policy before I left for my May 3 - 11 Riviera cruise. I boarded at noon and went directly to the reservation desk and booked Polo for that evening. I had already booked my four reservations on line and asked if it was okay and he said of course it was. I was in a B3 veranda, boarded an hour earlier than I was supposed to, and it was no problem at all.

Thank you It can't hurt to try.

Were you able to get additional nights later in the cruise?

Thank you It can't hurt to try.

Were you able to get additional nights later in the cruise?

I didn't try as it was only an eight day cruise and I actually wanted to eat in the GDR and the Terrace Cafe. However, I did need to change all the times I had reserved on-line to match with friends that were on the cruise as well. We had no problems changing the times. I want to say the gentleman's name at the reservation desk was Jovan. He could not have been more accommodating.

Thank you everyone for the information. Fairness is really important, of that there is no doubt. It would not be fair for me to get a fifth reservation when others have not yet been able to make their four. However, it does appear from some responses that there may be opportunities to get in that first night if restaurants are not full, even with my four guaranteed reservations already secure. It is a little confusing because it also appears from some responses that the policy may have been enforced depending on the particular cruise. We board the Riviera on June 28 and will certainly give it the college try. ;)

Catherine

It is a little confusing because it also appears from some responses that the policy may have been enforced depending on the particular cruise. We board the Riviera on June 28 and will certainly give it the college try.

As I went to great pains to explain previously, this is a Policy which needs to be enforced differently dependent on how many guaranteed reservations are in place before Sailing Day.

That doesn't make it confusing, but it is more complicated than you first allowed.

As long as you make your "extra" requests cognizant that there are other factors at play beyond whether a table is spoken for at that moment or not; then go for it!

not sure if this still happens or not

sometime they will come to the line for the GDR & ask if people want to go to the Specialties

First night sometime they are not booked or popular for various reasons

people are tired from travelling all day, just want to chill in the Terrace, eat in their suite etc..

We are not sailing until 1 am on our upcoming cruise so people may be ashore enjoying the food in Old Montreal

It never hurts to ask all they can do is say Sorry no openings

JMO

Lyn

I had not heard of any rules like this regarding booking on the first night when you already had your required SRs booked.

We're preparing for our 13th O cruise and other than the first 2 when we were totally belligerent to Oceania, we have gotten in an SR every first night even after we've booked our SRs on line. All of our cruises are long so everyone should get their SRs in.

The cruise we're taking in August will be 24 days so I'm sure we'll have no problems getting in the first night. We are never in PH, as we'd rather take more cruises each year than blow it all on one.

On one cruise, we went up to the Terrace Café for lunch. We happened across some CC friends and we all sat at a table for 6. We were invited by the host to go to a SR of our choice that night - table for the 6 of us.

Like Lyn says, it doesn't hurt to ask! But thanks for bringing up this subject! If we're denied, we'll think about this thread!

Jan

Was on Marina.... inaB3..... and booked my allotment prior to sailing.

However, during the cruise ( 34 day back to back) I found I could get just about any restaurant any day if I was flexible and or wanted to share.... it was easy and I saw no stress or problem....